Misuse and Regression of Mac Jones and How to Fix

“How can a QB be good when the play book stinks, the play calls stink, the OL can’t protect, the timing is awful, the spacing is poor, and no one wins in their routes?” Orlovsky said in a follow-up tweet.

Lazar has answers

from the above article:

"It's all about where your eyes start, right, as a quarterback. What you're being told and where you're looking," Jones told Patriots.com following Sunday's win over the Colts.
"Sometimes you miss things that people – you don't know if you missed it or not on the field. You walk off and are like, darn, I looked at the picture. Looked like it was there, but my eyes were starting where they were supposed to start. Sometimes that's how it is."

JHC Mac, this word salad makes Kamala Harris' ramblings sound like she can actually make sense

This article talks about how the running game is back in the NFL. Points may be down but yards per run as good as ever since so many teams dont have great defensive tackles anymore

It's a mix.

I agree that the pendulum has swung now. The running game is back for a few reasons. It's true that many are looking primarily for DTs who can rush the passer up the middle - this was a need to defend against Brady, Manning, etc. - because the changes in rules have dictated that the passing game is easier, so defending the pass is primary. Man, Wilfork would FEAST on today's NFL.

Combine that with what people learned from the Patriots defense against high-octane passing offenses: that you can give them the small stuff in and still beat them because was you force them to play mistake-free football on long drives of short passes, and most players (and coaches) don't have the patience for that.

It's still true that when you pass, 3 things can happen, and 2 of them are bad. Add to that that a powerful passing offense gets much of it's power from stretching a defense vertically, and if you commit to not giving up the deep stuff eventually they are playing in the red zone. If they are gaining a key advantage through vertical stretch, that's taken away for you in the red zone.

So, you see what we're seeing all over the league - 2 deep shells, 7 in coverage, keep everything in front of you. With all the 3 and 4 WR personnel, that means you have only 6 or 7 in the box, and if you are looking to support that with safeties you are making yourself very vulnerable to play action beating you deep. Teams that have road grading OL and strong blocking TEs and WRs will have a built-in advantage over defenses built around defending the run as an afterthought that can be handled by swarming to the ball 4 to 6 yards down field.

And the teams that build their identity as running the ball don't have the same handicap in the red zone as the vertical teams. The current climate in the league gives the advantage to teams who stretch horizontally, power running, teams that take advantage of over pursuing and over commiting to the pass rush, and also teams that can leverage the QB as a rusher to get a numbers advantage.

Lazar has answers

Another excellent analysis by Evan Lazar.
1. Pats aren’t taking advantage of TE seam routes against single high defensive coverage
2. Mac’s first read success is way down, I suspect because they asked him to look deep first instead of the obvious intermediate or short read. Probably another thing this mediocre offensive staff screwed up, need to fix Mac’s first read on a lot of plays for a quicker throw

from the above article:

JHC Mac, this word salad makes Kamala Harris' ramblings sound like she can actually make sense
I think it's him throwing the coaches/scheme under the bus honestly. I read it as, yeah there was a guy open that I would have saw going through normal progressions or reading the D but they want me staring at specific favorable single cover matchups as the first read. I don't think it has anything to do with him looking deep first or anything like that, it's all about the matchup because he's been staring down his first reads even on shorter routes, from what I've seen anyway.

I think it's him throwing the coaches/scheme under the bus honestly. I read it as, yeah there was a guy open that I would have saw going through normal progressions or reading the D but they want me staring at specific favorable single cover matchups as the first read. I don't think it has anything to do with him looking deep first or anything like that, it's all about the matchup because he's been staring down his first reads even on shorter routes, from what I've seen anyway.

I didn't see that angle in Mac's quote....your read onnit looks more reasonable than mine --- thanks Jay

He’s clearly saying the first reads are messed up. More idiocy from the bad offensive staff. Mac should do the exact opposite that Judge is telling him

BB deserves to be called out for Mac Jones Regressing . Due to issues with OC & Blocking . Same way he deserves praise for last 2 Drafts .

Orlovsky, respect that he knows Mac Jones has potential and is being messed up this year. The fact he’s volunteering to be OC, well not sure as he’s never done it before either. Would pay a premium for Bill O’Brien, Chad O’Shea, and Popovich to come back here

The Colts were last in offensive scoring when Reich was fired.
Pffffft to hiring him as OC! Maybe as a QB coach but not as OC

What was his position with Eagles when they put a gazillion points and with some innovative play calling and plays when the beat us in the Superbowl?

Was this a one off? What is his history andcsuccess or failure. I'm asking honestly because I don't remember.

What was his position with Eagles when they put a gazillion points and with some innovative play calling and plays when the beat us in the Superbowl?

Was this a one off? What is his history andcsuccess or failure. I'm asking honestly because I don't remember.

The game where they did not punt once all game against the Patriots in the superbowl, that game you mean?

from the above article:

RG, my man, you are one magnificent bastard. You took Lazar's 10,000 word film study and boiled it down to the most essential paragraph. Which is exactly what is
supposed to happen on a forum such as this (and seldom does). Huge props to you for your keen ability to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I think the bottom line here requires some interpretation and speculation.

On the surface, Mac is trying very hard to explain how it looks to him, being in the moment in the center of it all, but I've read it about
5 times and I think there is a subtext here. A hidden message to all the people who care about the Patriots and cannot fathom what the fuck
is really going on. I really think he is sending all of us a clue.

That clue/message, to me, is probably something like:

Hey, I'm not supposed to bitch about anything or even talk to you people, but I'm seeing my career starting to disintegrate when it looked like I was
on the right path to getting NFL respect, which is what I want more than oxygen. All I really want besides that oxygen and sex is the respect of my teammates, coaches and opponents
and instead I'm out there laying it on the line and looking like a giant bag of dicks because I do what I'm told to do and everything goes to shit. Maybe, if you should be so kind,
you could explore other avenues to lay blame, such as the fact that the guy calling plays is a fat, conceited ham n' egger who is getting schooled by every Defense we face. His
system is the problem, not me and the head Coach absolutely loves the guy for some unfathomable reason. I know how to learn, process and execute and I can't do it because following h
is play design makes me feel like a monkey fucking a football in the sawdust pile.

RG, my man, you are one magnificent bastard. You took Lazar's 10,000 word film study and boiled it down to the most essential paragraph. Which is exactly what is
supposed to happen on a forum such as this (and seldom does). Huge props to you for your keen ability to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I think the bottom line here requires some interpretation and speculation.

On the surface, Mac is trying very hard to explain how it looks to him, being in the moment in the center of it all, but I've read it about
5 times and I think there is a subtext here. A hidden message to all the people who care about the Patriots and cannot fathom what the fuck
is really going on. I really think he is sending all of us a clue.

That clue/message, to me, is probably something like:

Hey, I'm not supposed to bitch about anything or even talk to you people, but I'm seeing my career starting to disintegrate when it looked like I was
on the right path to getting NFL respect, which is what I want more than oxygen. All I really want besides that oxygen and sex is the respect of my teammates, coaches and opponents
and instead I'm out there laying it on the line and looking like a giant bag of dicks because I do what I'm told to do and everything goes to shit. Maybe, if you should be so kind,
you could explore other avenues to lay blame, such as the fact that the guy calling plays is a fat, conceited ham n' egger who is getting schooled by every Defense we face. His
system is the problem, not me and the head Coach absolutely loves the guy for some unfathomable reason. I know how to learn, process and execute and I can't do it because following h
is play design makes me feel like a monkey fucking a football in the sawdust pile.

exactly what’s happening. Mac is following orders and they are really sh-tty coaching orders. His first read makes no sense in the play, way too deep. Make his first read the intermediate guy.

He’s openly saying he can see on tape who was wide open but he’s following the first read which is the wrong read for whichever amateur coach on the offensive staff messed up the play design.

Last edited:
Back