Misuse and Regression of Mac Jones and How to Fix

from the above article:

JHC Mac, this word salad makes Kamala Harris' ramblings sound like she can actually make sense

Not even subtle. He’s saying the idiot offensive staff has his first reads all wrong. And he’s following crappy plays. Delete whatever bad work Rothstein and Patricia and Judge did and just go back to the 2010-2012 Brady playbook or 2003-2004 Brady playbook

RG, my man, you are one magnificent bastard. You took Lazar's 10,000 word film study and boiled it down to the most essential paragraph. Which is exactly what is
supposed to happen on a forum such as this (and seldom does). Huge props to you for your keen ability to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I think the bottom line here requires some interpretation and speculation.

On the surface, Mac is trying very hard to explain how it looks to him, being in the moment in the center of it all, but I've read it about
5 times and I think there is a subtext here. A hidden message to all the people who care about the Patriots and cannot fathom what the fuck
is really going on. I really think he is sending all of us a clue.

That clue/message, to me, is probably something like:

Hey, I'm not supposed to bitch about anything or even talk to you people, but I'm seeing my career starting to disintegrate when it looked like I was
on the right path to getting NFL respect, which is what I want more than oxygen. All I really want besides that oxygen and sex is the respect of my teammates, coaches and opponents
and instead I'm out there laying it on the line and looking like a giant bag of dicks because I do what I'm told to do and everything goes to shit. Maybe, if you should be so kind,
you could explore other avenues to lay blame, such as the fact that the guy calling plays is a fat, conceited ham n' egger who is getting schooled by every Defense we face. His
system is the problem, not me and the head Coach absolutely loves the guy for some unfathomable reason. I know how to learn, process and execute and I can't do it because following h
is play design makes me feel like a monkey fucking a football in the sawdust pile.

RG is a magnificent bastard indeed. :)

Another angle on Mac is what a few reporters picked up on in talking to Pats coaches. Mac is a “why?” guy. That is, he asks ‘why’ constantly to his coaches when they’re coming up with schemes, plans, philosophies etc. He wants to know everything and the reasoning behind it. These coaches said Zappe is the opposite, he just does what they tell him to do. No questions etc he just does what he’s told.

There’s an obvious mismatch between Mac and Patricia, they‘re just not on the same page and Mac’s nature is to not just blindly accept something if it doesn’t make sense to him. It’s both a benefit and a curse.

exactly what’s happening. Mac is following orders and they are really sh-tty coaching orders. His first read makes no sense in the play, way too deep. Make his first read the intermediate guy.

He’s openly saying he can see on tape who was wide open but he’s following the first read which is the wrong read for whichever amateur coach on the offensive staff messed up the play design.

I see Mac as a guy who is totally confused by contradicting directives from Patricia in each successive game. In Patricia's search for answers for something that works in the passing game, he's switching things up almost week to week in what he wants Mac to do. And while Patricia is talking in one ear, Joe Judge is whispering in Mac's other ear. It's got to be confounding to Mac. Stop the nonsense.
This is the week BB has to step in, untangle the mess and set everyone back to square one.
Mac needs structure and a clear direction. I'd like BB to take charge of the offense. Not necessarily the play calling but to take charge of the plays in the play book and schemes used for each game. Instead of BB telling Patricia what to tell Mac, how about BB tell Mac directly with Patricia listening to the conversation and learning from here out. I'm sure there were good reasons for the 3 month experiment with outside zone runs and vertical passes but those strategies didn't work. The stakes are too high to allow Patricia to continue his on-the-job-training. Plus it's playing mind games on Mac. Screw that.
----------------------------------
I'm also done with mixing and matching receivers who aren't pulling their weight. Let's settle on a starting receiving corps and let them gel. That would make the starters more personally accountable for their production. Our top 2 WRs are Meyers and Parker. Meyers is good; Parker is avg. After those 2 it's a hodgepodge of below avg with Agholor, Bourne and Thornton. No one is safe except for Meyers. If I'm picking, I'm putting Meyers, Parker and Thornton on the field with Agholor and Bourne rotating in for Thornton and Parker. Meyers stays on the field; the rest earn their time. I picked Thornton bc he's faster and runs better routes than Agholor.
Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith have to be more involved in the passing game. How about pulling out 3 or 4 of those Gronkandez plays from 10 years ago. They worked. Just do it. These guys could contribute if given a chance. Makes no sense how they've been ignored.

Last edited:
I see Mac as a guy who is totally confused by contradicting directives from Patricia in each successive game. In Patricia's search for answers for something that works in the passing game, he's switching things up almost week to week in what he wants Mac to do. And while Patricia is talking in one ear, Joe Judge is whispering in Mac's other ear. It's got to be confounding to Mac. Stop the nonsense.
This is the week BB has to step in, untangle the mess and set everyone back to square one.
Mac needs structure and a clear direction. I'd like BB to take charge of the offense. Not necessarily the play calling but to take charge of the plays in the play book and schemes used for each game. Instead of BB telling Patricia what to tell Mac, how about BB tell Mac directly with Patricia listening to the conversation and learning from here out. I'm sure there were good reasons for the 3 month experiment with outside zone runs and vertical passes but those strategies didn't work. The stakes are too high to allow Patricia to continue his on-the-job-training. Plus it's playing mind games on Mac. Screw that.
----------------------------------
I'm also done with mixing and matching receivers who aren't pulling their weight. Let's settle on a starting receiving corps and let them gel. That would make the starters more personally accountable for their production. Our top 2 WRs are Meyers and Parker. Meyers is good; Parker is avg. After those 2 it's a hodgepodge of below avg with Agholor, Bourne and Thornton. No one is safe except for Meyers. If I'm picking, I'm putting Meyers, Parker and Thornton on the field with Agholor and Bourne rotating in for Thornton and Parker. Meyers stays on the field; the rest earn their time. I picked Thornton bc he's faster and runs better routes than Agholor.
Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith have to be more involved in the passing game. How about pulling out 3 or 4 of those Gronkandez plays from 10 years ago. They worked. Just do it. These guys could contribute if given a chance. Makes no sense how they've been ignored.

Great post. Thank you.

I think your ideas on Patricia's directions are probably close to the truth of the dysfunction we've been seeing with Mac and the Offense. The ankle may be a contributing factor, but I refuse to believe the kid is as mediocre/just plain bad as he's played thus far and I'm confident that Bill will do whatever he has to do to fix it and get this team on the right path down the stretch. If it really is down to Patricia and Judge then Bill needs to step in and straighten it out. Now.

I'm disappointed that Thornton hasn't gotten opportunities downfield. We need to find a way to get the ball in his hands more and utilize the TEs more. I don't know if he's getting off the line as well as we thought he could, but if that is the case then we need to use motion or bunch stuff to help him get open.

I was rewatching the game last night and noticed Jonnu get the ball and just tear downfield. He looks quick and strong and he and Henry need to be utilized far more than
they have been. Jonnu wants it.

I can't imagine that what we've seen so far is the best we can expect moving forward.

Great post. Thank you.

I think your ideas on Patricia's directions are probably close to the truth of the dysfunction we've been seeing with Mac and the Offense. The ankle may be a contributing factor, but I refuse to believe the kid is as mediocre/just plain bad as he's played thus far and I'm confident that Bill will do whatever he has to do to fix it and get this team on the right path down the stretch. If it really is down to Patricia and Judge then Bill needs to step in and straighten it out. Now.

I'm disappointed that Thornton hasn't gotten opportunities downfield. We need to find a way to get the ball in his hands more and utilize the TEs more. I don't know if he's getting off the line as well as we thought he could, but if that is the case then we need to use motion or bunch stuff to help him get open.

I was rewatching the game last night and noticed Jonnu get the ball and just tear downfield. He looks quick and strong and he and Henry need to be utilized far more than
they have been. Jonnu wants it.

I can't imagine that what we've seen so far is the best we can expect moving forward.

Ditto. All of this.

Does he have any coaching experience? Being part of the worst team ever in football is not exactly a glowing review. He's a good analyst, but I don't know how good of a coach he could be.

No, he doesn't. He was an awful QB and is a desperate hot-take jockey as a minor talking head. He's in the Phil Simms category where he makes a ton of dumb statements and very few that seem
sensible. His recent comments about Mac were more about Mickey the Dunce trying to look relevant and generate some traction more than anything else. Again, my opinion. I can't stand the guy.

The odds of Bill hiring him to help guide Mac are less than zero.

We can do lots better than that guy.

Key stat going into the bye:
The Patriots offense leads the entire league in turnovers at 17.
The Eagles offense has the fewest offensive turnovers, only 3.
That’s the whole season right there in 1 stat.

i'd add in offensive penalties for that extra flavor for the failsauce...😁

RG, my man, you are one magnificent bastard. You took Lazar's 10,000 word film study and boiled it down to the most essential paragraph. Which is exactly what is
supposed to happen on a forum such as this (and seldom does)
. Huge props to you for your keen ability to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I think the bottom line here requires some interpretation and speculation.

On the surface, Mac is trying very hard to explain how it looks to him, being in the moment in the center of it all, but I've read it about
5 times and I think there is a subtext here. A hidden message to all the people who care about the Patriots and cannot fathom what the fuck
is really going on. I really think he is sending all of us a clue.

That clue/message, to me, is probably something like:

Hey, I'm not supposed to bitch about anything or even talk to you people, but I'm seeing my career starting to disintegrate when it looked like I was
on the right path to getting NFL respect, which is what I want more than oxygen. All I really want besides that oxygen and sex is the respect of my teammates, coaches and opponents
and instead I'm out there laying it on the line and looking like a giant bag of dicks because I do what I'm told to do and everything goes to shit. Maybe, if you should be so kind,
you could explore other avenues to lay blame, such as the fact that the guy calling plays is a fat, conceited ham n' egger who is getting schooled by every Defense we face. His
system is the problem, not me and the head Coach absolutely loves the guy for some unfathomable reason. I know how to learn, process and execute and I can't do it because following h
is play design makes me feel like a monkey fucking a football in the sawdust pile.

gee thanks for that lead, Hawgie --- but as you know me....simple is as simple does

as for the rest of your above expansive, way more cogent interpretation of Mac's ramble I say

( w/ all due deference to Slim Pickins in Blazing Saddles )

God darnit Mr. Hawgie, you use your "tongue" prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

gee thanks for that lead, Hawgie --- but as you know me....simple is as simple does

as for the rest of your above expansive, way more cogent interpretation of Mac's ramble I say

( w/ all due deference to Slim Pickins in Blazing Saddles )

God darnit Mr. Hawgie, you use your "tongue" prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

Weird, that is the third time in less than 24 hours that quote came into play here on the Planet.

Oh well, back to my 80 dollar whores tongue lashing. 😂

i'd add in offensive penalties for that extra flavor for the failsauce...😁

Been preaching turnovers and penalties for weeks. Both have improved the last 2 games.

I’ve been clamoring for Jonnu and Hunter to be central players in the offense since they were signed.
I don’t care what his stats were, Jonnu clearly has the athleticism to be a top 5-10 TE in the league. He’s a beast with the ball, and very fast for a TE.

Feed him and Hunter all game long.

Back