More Improvement? Offensive or Defensive line

abenoit17

Reaction score
Just wanted to hear from everyone else. Do you think the offensive line or the defensive line need more help. It is clear that the offensive line has some key breakdowns during a game but the defensive line rarely gets pressure on the quarterback outside of Andre Cater. Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Just wanted to hear from everyone else. Do you think the offensive line or the defensive line need more help. It is clear that the offensive line has some key breakdowns during a game but the defensive line rarely gets pressure on the quarterback outside of Andre Cater. Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Neither. Coaching and the secondary.

Dline...the offensive line is doing it's job 90% of the time, the dLine only plays the run

Volmer is either still hurt or just not who we thought he was... Mankins needs to stop getting close to getting the boot from the game and Connolly was even closer this game throwing down while every one was watching Mankins.

I would say the DB's but looking at the inept pass rush they are forced to cover for extended periods of time which for any secondary is hard. I do however they need to fix the problems with the zone. There are to many DB's and LB's covering free space, especially Arrington.

Hey, no argument here...I've ALWAYS wanted RAC and Weis back...ALWAYS.
RAC could come back but Charlie for some reason seemed distant to BB, and Tuna before him.

if I remember correctly, Tuna took play calling away from charlie a couple times when they were together

I would say the DB's but looking at the inept pass rush they are forced to cover for extended periods of time which for any secondary is hard. I do however they need to fix the problems with the zone. There are to many DB's and LB's covering free space, especially Arrington.

and think last season McCourty was rookie of the year if SuH didn't exist....where have to gone Devon McCourty?

Linebackers. Take away Mayo, and we got nothing.

Spike is complementary to Mayo on a good day.

Ninkovich, Fletcher, and Cunningham are, at best, special teamers.

Guyton is nothing special. Another backup.

It is an issue that BB has let slip for far too long.

Neither. Coaching and the secondary.

Coaching includes scheme and that defensive scheme for our DL and secondary didn't work from the get go. The DL was ineffective with pressure which put extra pressure on the secondary to cover. Only problem was, our guys covered 'space' instead of receivers. I'd like nothing more than to have a different secondary coach come in to teach the guys we have to cover the man in their zone instead of being 10-15 feet away while 'doing their job'. Cover the SOB! I don't know yet if the DL was 1 or 2 gapping but from the play on the field, I'd guess they were 2 gapping 99% of the time. I want more penetration and more aggressiveness from the DL. Ben was rarely hurried while TB was often hurried. Ben had 40 passes in the first half because it was working and we couldn't stop it because our DL was ineffective. It's time to unleash the dogs at the QB.

We'll win plenty of games this year by beating up on the teams with poor offenses. What happens when we go up against a better than average offense is a different story. Houston and Pitt in the AFC. GB, the Saints and possibly even the Lions in the NFC. I had hopes for a SB appearance this year but my expectations are lower now. Our D just isn't ready yet.

RAC could come back but Charlie for some reason seemed distant to BB, and Tuna before him.

if I remember correctly, Tuna took play calling away from charlie a couple times when they were together
Charlie is a bit of a douche I think, though I love his coaching skills (coordinator wise). I know his playcalling got taken away...but so did Sean Payton's...by Jim Fassel. Parcells also (according to Weis in his book, so take it FWIW)GAVE Weis playcalling w/ the NYJ because the far more experienced Henning would be loathe to let his HC overrule him. I think he had Henning as the defacto OC and Weis the QB coach.

I will be the minority here...I just cannot say its the players, it just really seems like its coaching because there just is no change. I mean Pitt came in with a plan, and that plan was to pass all day because we could not stop us and that keeps the offense off the field. We all saw it from the first drive and there was just hardly any adjustment. Every week, we give up long time consuming drives. We do well in the redzone which I guess is saving us from really being bad, but these long drives are just killing us. Its either the coaches cannot do anything because of the players they have, but I guess I have to blame that on them too. I have just seen good coaching making players and defenses better with the same players, and I am not seeing it..its like there is no change.

Well, the OL has been fine. They did allow a lot of QB hits and a couple of sacks yesterday, but Pitt's pass rush is very good. The DL has been improving, I feel.

Coaching for sure.

Well, the OL has been fine. They did allow a lot of QB hits and a couple of sacks yesterday, but Pitt's pass rush is very good. The DL has been improving, I feel.

Coaching for sure.

yeah they did in the cowboy game as well, which like you said could just mean those front 7's are pretty damn good. Interesting to note though. Brady had not been sacked by the steelers in the last few games against them.

Well, the DL doesn't appear to be getting any pressure up the middle. I mean, I know that Wright and Pryor were originally planned to be the Pats' situational interior rushers and are both on IR. But still, Ellis and Haynesworth have 10 total and 7 solo tackles between them (no sacks) and neither appears to be taking much of the load off Wilfork. Love has 10 total and 8 solo by himself (and a sack).

The LB corps is certainly missing a lot without Mayo, but Spikes had nearly as many tackles against PIT as Guyton had over the first six games.

Back