Next Up: St. Louis Rams in London

grog

Chief Instigation Officer
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread started on this yet, surprisingly. I guess that is because we are still in shock from last Sunday. Please merge if one is actually started already.

Here are some views of the game from St. Louis beat writers and national press.

Surprisingly, to me anyway, the Rams are already in London.

Rams leave for London matchup against Patriots
ST. LOUIS (AP) - Ready or not, it's time for the St. Louis Rams to take their game overseas. The team was flying to London on Monday in preparation for next week's game against the New England Patriots.
The Rams (3-4) might have an edge in game preparation, given they'll be training at Arsenal's soccer facilities, which coach Jeff Fisher described as completely self-contained.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke also owns Arsenal, so it was a natural that he was interested in the London option. The Rams had planned on playing in London for three straight years but backed off earlier this year and decided on playing just one game amid fan concerns that Kroenke might move the franchise after the 2014 season.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...p.fbn.rams.road.0148/index.html#ixzz2A8hd1hRh

Rams hope to avoid jet lag on London trip

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2012/10/22/2369187/rams-hope-to-avoid-jet-lag-on.html#storylink=cpy
By STEVE KORTE — News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS — Like most overseas travelers, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher is concerned about jet lag.

The Rams (3-4) departed early Monday evening for London, England, where they'll play the New England Patriots (4-3) at noon Sunday at Wembley Stadium.

"Our biggest challenge is just acclimating to the time change and the long flight," Fisher said. "We had a lengthy meeting in here just moments ago and they're all excited. They know the challenges associated with going 'across the pond,' as they say, and they're looking forward to it."

Fisher said he'll try to follow the normal schedule for practice and meetings during the trip, which also will allow the players some free time.

weight lifting and training machines back at Rams Park because they'll be training at facility used by the English soccer club, the Arsenal.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke owns the Arsenal.

"We get to train at the Arsenal facility and so that is completely self-contained," Fisher said. "But we're taking, administratively, we take the entire system -- our network, the iPads for game planning."

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2012/10/22/2369187/rams-hope-to-avoid-jet-lag-on.html#storylink=cpy

Didn't see a thread started on this yet, surprisingly. I guess that is because we are still in shock from last Sunday. Please merge if one is actually started already.

Here are some views of the game from St. Louis beat writers and national press.

Surprisingly, to me anyway, the Rams are already in London.

I heard that the QB for the rams wants a new contract, but he wants to wait until after the Patriots game to discuss it.....:rimshot: see what I did there? Ok come on that was funny.

a local take

Don’t expect Rams to run it 33 times
Even with Steven Jackson, St. Louis will be heaving it Sunday

On Pro Football Hector Longo
The Eagle-Tribune

FOXBORO — I can see the conversation breaking down in St. Louis yesterday afternoon in the office of head coach Jeff Fisher.

Fisher: “Steven, I know you were excited to check out the scene in London, but the bottom line is we’re not taking you.”

Steven Jackson: “Not taking me? Coach Fish, I’m your star! I’m your Hall of Fame running back!”

Fisher: “Sure, Steve. I know. You da man. But we’ve got the Patriots this week, and to be honest, against that secondary, I just don’t see us ever having the need to run the football. Enjoy the week off big guy. Instead of fish and chips in London, try one of our many BBQ rib joints in town here.”

Of course, this didn’t happen and it won’t happen, but, if it did happen, the Rams chances of winning wouldn’t change with or without the 29-year-old three-time Pro Bowl player.

The “thrill” of Sunday’s victory against the hated New York Jets continues to sink in here for the Pats and their fans.

But as we all do what the players do — and watch the film — I can’t help but wonder what the heck Rex Ryan and his offensive coordinator Tony Sparano were doing on Sunday running the football 33 times out of a possible 78 offensive plays.

Including the four sacks allowed, the Jets dropped back to pass 45 times and rolled up a net 297 yards (Sanchez threw for 328, but lost 31 in sacks).

This 6.6 yards per pass average came despite Stephen Hill’s ugly late drop, despite Sanchez’s tunnel vision and his tortoise-speed read of the Pats’ defense on his grotesquely underthrown interception. They gained 3.2 yards a rush and 6.6 yards per forward pass.

That’s with Mark Sanchez, folks. Am I the only one seeing the logic of the forward pass here over catapulting Shonn Greene into the waiting arms of Vince Wilfork and Kyle Love?

How stubborn/stupid must a coach be? I have to figure Fisher can read (numbers) better than Sanchez can read defenses. He’s a very good coach. And if you read my story a few weeks ago, you’d understand there aren’t many of them around these days.

The Rams feature Sam Bradford with legitimate pro receivers in Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson and Steve Smith. Bradford’s last 300-yard passing game came two weeks, not 13 months ago like Sanchez’s had been until Sunday.

Buckle up again folks. Sunday afternoon at Wembley might be another wild ride for the 2012 Pats.

If you’re wondering ...

I thought there might still be one or two Patriots diehards out there still believing the team’s “don’t worry, the secondary is better than you think,” campaign. Judging by sports radio and comments on the Web, it appears those folks are now in hiding.

But I did want to make sure Sunday that my assessment of the game, seeing Jets running free all over the defensive backfield only to be missed by Mark Sanchez, held its veracity. So I went to the visitors themselves. I asked Jets receiver Stephen Hill if the Pats stopped them at all.

“Oh no, no, it was nothing like that at all,” said Hill, one of the Jets’ goats with a huge late red-zone drop. “We just messed up on certain opportunities. That was it.”

Were there plays out there that should have been made?

“Yeah, definitely.”

So then, I moved to the guy I saw running free down the middle all afternoon, Dustin Keller, who caught all seven passes thrown at him for 93 yards and a TD.

“There were areas we could have picked it up,” said Keller. “We had some plays out there to be made, we made some, and we left a lot more out their on the field.”

Forgetting Mayo ...

In retrospect, my Monday Two-Minute Drill contained an egregious omission in the “Big Shows.”

Linebacker Jerod Mayo continued his stupendous season at the outside linebacker spot. Mayo led all Patriots with 10 tackles and a forced fumble. He was true in his tackling, and played stout on the run. He flowed and scraped to the football downhill, attacking more than back-pedaling.

It was a monster effort — his best whole game in what has been Mayo’s top year as a pro. My apologies for the miscue.

a local take

Wow, thats sad that other places think that....but I think he might want to check his own team's roster and see who is on the injury report for his receivers.

Really looking forward to this game, and this weekend as a whole. First off, it'll be the furthest afield I have been in 3 years and it'll be my first ever live Game seen in the flesh.

Looking forward to (hopefully) meeting some lovely Cheerleaders and maybe Mr. Kraft at the Pre-game party on the Saturday night.

Danny Amendola isn't playing unless Tebow lays hands on him & performs a healing miracle.

Which would be great if it weren't for the fact that The Rams could pull a couple of toothless Brits out of the stands, who didn't even realize they were attending an AMERICAN football game, and they could get open against this secondary. :shake:

Bradford will have a field day against the pats D....the jets did the Rams have a better QB than the jets.....I wonder whats going on the the pats offence its flat...is it Brady..is it the recivers??? we are 1/2 way into the season and the pats are not clicking..its time to get things moving this year the pats were to have an ez schedule...not working out that way

Bradford will have a field day against the pats D....the jets did the Rams have a better QB than the jets.....I wonder whats going on the the pats offence its flat...is it Brady..is it the recivers??? we are 1/2 way into the season and the pats are not clicking..its time to get things moving this year the pats were to have an ez schedule...not working out that way

Well first of all the Rams offense has been horrid lately, but yeah playing the patriots could be a cure for that....as for the pats offense being flat, it leads the league in first downs, yards, points, and is second in efficiency, so not sure what we are wanting it to do....overcome the worst secondary in the league I guess.....as far as schedule goes I said before the season that you cannot judge a schedule based off last years results and that is showing to be true,,,so there was no easy schedule.

Sucks that I'm going to London within the next three weeks, but missing out on this :(

Thinking we're going to run it down their throats and then gronkwelk them hard.

Sucks that I'm going to London within the next three weeks, but missing out on this :(

Thinking we're going to run it down their throats and then gronkwelk them hard.

and then we will give up 400 yards passing and 3 late td's to lose the game.

If the Pats don't score in the 30's, I will always be nervous about this D.

If the Pats don't score in the 30's, I will always be nervous about this D.

Yeah 30 seems to be the magic number, although it was not with the ravens, but that was an odd game from a calls standpoint. I think if we played them right now, we would beat them by double digits. We must be getting better because 29 got us the win last game.

The Pats will win, but I will be playing Sam Bradford as my starting QB on my fantasy team this week.

The Pats will win, but I will be playing Sam Bradford as my starting QB on my fantasy team this week.

I said last week on rotoword radio they were telling everyone to go pick up sanchez last week and play him...it made me mad when they did that, but they were right.

BTW, these Rams have beaten both the Cardinals and Seahawks this year. Two more quality wins than the Pats have.

BTW, these Rams have beaten both the Cardinals and Seahawks this year. Two more quality wins than the Pats have.

So denver is not a quality win? Every one of the rams loses were away from their stadium.

Back