NFL Announces New Domestic Violence Policy

The Hoodie

Let's make it 5!
Reaction score
Was unsure if this warranted a full thread but,

In letter to NFL Owners, domestic violence will get you a 6 game suspension on the 1st offense, and a lifetime ban on the 2nd.

This applies to all NFL personnel, not just players (per Schefter)

@AlbertBreer 1m
Goodell to owners on Rice: "My disciplinary decision led the public to question our sincerity, our commitment …

‏@AlbertBreer 1m
(Goodell cont): "... , and whether we understood the toll that domestic violence inflicts on so many families. I take responsibility …"

@AlbertBreer 1m
(Goodell cont): "both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values. I didn’t get it right."

@AlbertBreer 38s
Roger Goodell to the owners: "These steps are based on a clear, simple principle: domestic violence and sexual assault are wrong."

Edit: Per Ben Volin, "violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force all be subject to a suspension w/o pay for 6 games as a first offense…circumstances that would merit a more severe penalty would be a prior incident before joining the NFL, violence involving a weapon, choking, repeated striking, or when the act is committed against a pregnant woman or in the presence of a child".

Players/personnel given the lifetime ban may apply for reinstatement after one year of the ban.

Is this the first time he has ever admitted that he was wrong about something? That really doesn't matter. This is probably the best thing he has done since becoming Commissioner.

Not just players, sorry about that. Edited original post.

LOL! Was gunna say....

Is this the first time he has ever admitted that he was wrong about something? That really doesn't matter. This is probably the best thing he has done since becoming Commissioner.

+1000

Now he has solid ground to stand on when something like the Ray Rice incident occurred. Good job Roger (wait, did I just say that?)

The problem from the beginning is that drug use penalties were provided for by contract in the CBA but the Ray Rice issue was not provided for by the contract. The 2 game penalty was decided by Goodell personally after hearing from Rice and his wife based on the broad language of the conduct policy.

This is a good thing but revisiting the Rice penalty would be even better.

The problem from the beginning is that drug use penalties were provided for by contract in the CBA but the Ray Rice issue was not provided for by the contract. The 2 game penalty was decided by Goodell personally after hearing from Rice and his wife based on the broad language of the conduct policy.

Tell ya what. Rather than have Goodell retroactively impose the new penalty on Rice, I'd like him to publicly call upon Rice to spearhead organizing a counseling/education regime, participation in which would become mandatory for all NFL players, including those signing their first NFL contracts (even UDFAs).

Domestic violence, to me, is an inappropriate expression of anger - a crime of passion - and potential penalties, no matter how severe, are rarely an effective deterrent in the heat of the moment. I know it sounds all "crunchy granola" but, really, if the goal is to reduce the incidence rate, a significant, ongoing prevention effort needs to be a part of that.

Bravo to the NFL for getting this right :clap:

While I agree the ray rice thing was absurd, I'm not comfortable with adding on to suspensions well after the fact because the public is pissed. This new policy is much better than the old one.

Awesome. And from this day on it will be called the Ray Rice rule.

Now maybe if there had been a Ray Lewis murder rule Aperp would of made better life choices...

"Domestic violence and sexual assault are wrong".

Seems Roger has had an epiphany.

How do they define an "incident"?

Does the player have to be convicted?

Is an accusation sufficient?

Will Goodell make a judgement based on whatever evidence he can find?

The devil is always in the details.

Tell ya what. Rather than have Goodell retroactively impose the new penalty on Rice, I'd like him to publicly call upon Rice to spearhead organizing a counseling/education regime, participation in which would become mandatory for all NFL players, including those signing their first NFL contracts (even UDFAs).

Domestic violence, to me, is an inappropriate expression of anger - a crime of passion - and potential penalties, no matter how severe, are rarely an effective deterrent in the heat of the moment. I know it sounds all "crunchy granola" but, really, if the goal is to reduce the incidence rate, a significant, ongoing prevention effort needs to be a part of that.

Agree.

Gina

"Domestic violence and sexual assault are wrong".

Seems Roger has had an epiphany.

Ground-breaking! What a forward-thinking guy!

Ol Rip Van Twinkel just awakened to find we're not in the 1800s anymore.

:rolleyes:

*waits for Tony Dungy to come out and preach about the 9ers morality due to all their issues lately.*

Back