NFL Draft Day 2 Rounds 2&3

Before everybody completely loses their minds, remember Buffalo collapsing on the short/middle. Now, let's see if they can do that with
a true burner outside the hashes.

This isn't the guy I envisioned, but he's about as fast as Christian Watson, is almost as tall and is a much more polished receiver with better hands.

The reason I was hot on Watson was exactly that. His presence would change the way people had defended us for years and help diversify the air game, but
it might take a while for Watson to develop his routes and hands.

IF Thornton (I'm going to have to get used to that) can get off press then he and Mac could be a lethal combo.

Speed kills and now we have some.

You nailed it in that second-to-last line -- he needs to be able to get off the press. If he can do that in time, I like it.

Thanks for asking the question, it's an absolutely legitimate one. My sense of what constitutes the Patriots fan base includes those who post on message boards and or express opinions on other outlets verbally or in writing. If your point in asking the question is to suggest that there is a "silent majority" out there who have opinions which never get publicity expressed, well, yes that's true. But, in the absence of knowing how they all feel, I can only assess based upon those who do express publicly. And, to me, the vast majority of that group thinks every pick sucks.
Guys I work with are "fans" in that they watch the games, but they haven't ever mentioned listening to sports radio, let alone posting on a message board.

Before everybody completely loses their minds, remember Buffalo collapsing on the short/middle. Now, let's see if they can do that with
a true burner outside the hashes.

This isn't the guy I envisioned, but he's about as fast as Christian Watson, is almost as tall and is a much more polished receiver with better hands.

The reason I was hot on Watson was exactly that. His presence would change the way people had defended us for years and help diversify the air game, but
it might take a while for Watson to develop his routes and hands.

IF Thornton (I'm going to have to get used to that) can get off press then he and Mac could be a lethal combo.

Speed kills and now we have some.

One thing I do remember from watching him is that his release against press coverage is way above average - as good as Kenbrell Thompkins and bordering on Antonio Brown's release. Twitchy, efficient and sudden. CBs will have to respect his speed and back off or they'll end up grabbing to hold on. This kid makes up ground on CBs in his stem like no one I've seen since Moss. This is going to be a wild ride!

Guys I work with are "fans" in that they watch the games, but they haven't ever mentioned listening to sports radio, let alone posting on a message board.
Same here. But, if I don't how they feel I believe I have to base my assessment on those who let us know what they think. As someone who dealt with analyzing empirical evidence for my entire working career, I know that there are unknowns in assessing every subject, but we can only judge based upon what we know.

One thing I do remember from watching him is that his release against press coverage is way above average - as good as Kenbrell Thompkins and bordering on Antonio Brown's release. Twitchy, efficient and sudden. CBs will have to respect his speed and back off or they'll end up grabbing to hold on. This kid makes up ground on CBs in his stem like no one I've seen since Moss. This is going to be a wild ride!
If Kenbrell had any speed at all, he'd still be playing.

I am hopeful for every draft pick to be a great contributor.... and when BB takes a big dump he flushes more football knowledge then I'll ever have... so I'm open to seeing how the entire draft an UDFA plays out.
Still.... Mel Kiper and some guy on PFF thought we should take player XYZ so there's that. 🤷
(plus the weeks of Draft Thread binkies)

If Kenbrell had any speed at all, he'd still be playing.

He had an awesome release from the LOS. Didn't say he was fast, although he was fast enough. BB kept Dobson and released Thompkins. Should have been the other way around.

I am hopeful for every draft pick to be a great contributor.... and when BB takes a big dump he flushes more football knowledge then I'll ever have... so I'm open to seeing how the entire draft an UDFA plays out.
Still.... Mel Kiper and some guy on PFF thought we should take player XYZ so there's that. 🤷
(plus the weeks of Draft Thread binkies)
No one is perfect, but dismiss the "experts" at your own peril. When Pundits Are Right

He had an awesome release from the LOS. Didn't say he was fast, although he was fast enough. BB kept Dobson and released Thompkins. Should have been the other way around.
He did, that's what I mean. If we was a 4.4 guy instead of a 4.6 guy, he'd still be playing somewhere, because he did everything else really well.

Good to hear that. Thanks. Maybe he's more wiry than skinny. He looks very similar to DeVonta Smith, now that I think about it. Maybe that is the plan. To give Mac
a guy to take the lid off and spread the field. We can only hope the connection is similar.

And, check out the number. Great photo.

bu.jpg

at this point I'm watching the list of upcoming teams wondering who might go QB
Giants are next but would be surprised if the did.
then Atl in about 6 picks

I really hope you're right. I have the opposite impression watching him. His footwork off the LOS doesn't strike me as great and he doesn't seem very efficient with his feet. Lots of steps to not get very far nor create a ton of separation.

If he can consistently get off the press he'll be fine - that's the big thing here. He had one fantastic rep on a 'go'/fade against Oklahoma where he smoked the CB. If he can do that regularly I think we'll end up happy with him. I'm just not entirely convinced that he can do that consistently. If he can produce on intermediate routes, that's the icing on the cake. Fingers crossed.

Is he a different player than your metrics?

Back