N'Keal Harry Wants To Be Traded

Ok but dig this. Funchess for Harry prior to training camp. We would lose the Harry guarranteed money and Funchess has already been paid his guarranteed money, right? If Funchess can't cut it here he is gone before game one with no guarrantees. No harm no foul.
I like it. If we can get anything for Harry, we should do it.

They were both busts. Never understood the picks. Both were outliers to what BB normally likes in a WR. Neither met BB's athletic requirements.
Good reading if you can handle 24 of hours of depression over BB's faults as a WR evaluator. I can say with 100% certainty that Harry was Caserio's pick, however.

Tom Curran had a bit on that from the video of the Pat's draft room, while BB was mulling the potential selections Caserio's was saying "It's Harry, Bill". But don't see how BB is fully excused. They had months to discuss the potential picks, plenty of time to find the right guy.

Harry is a lesson for me.
Don't remember any draft expert saying it was a bad pick.
Pick traits over production. This is hard for me to say because I swear years ago with Parcells he picked the production guys, Bruschi, Ted Johnson,Martin,,
Look out for college coaches that tweak their play calling to make a senior player look good for the NFL, ala Herm Edwards....

Tom Curran had a bit on that from the video of the Pat's draft room, while BB was mulling the potential selections Caserio's was saying "It's Harry, Bill". But don't see how BB is fully excused. They had months to discuss the potential picks, plenty of time to find the right guy.

Harry is a lesson for me.
Don't remember any draft expert saying it was a bad pick.
Pick traits over production. This is hard for me to say because I swear years ago with Parcells he picked the production guys, Bruschi, Ted Johnson,Martin,,
Look out for college coaches that tweak their play calling to make a senior player look good for the NFL, ala Herm Edwards....

Many of the draft gurus, Kiper et.al., were critical of the Pats picking him in the first round.
I'm no expert but I have made WR evaluation a hobby for the last 8 years and I've learned a lot about it. Plus I slept at a Holiday Inn a couple of times during that span.
I had him slotted as a 3rd to 4th rnd pick primarily because of his slow 40 time, disappointing agility times, short arms for his height and poor route running skills. It was disappointing to me that the Patriots chose Harry at all but IN THE FIRST ROUND?! The Harry pick was so far out of bounds for what BB has traditionally liked at the WR position - it made no sense whatsoever. Something was amiss.

We got a hint the very next day when we saw Caserio on TV frothing about Harry's contested catch ability followed by "receivers don't get open in the NFL any more. Contested catch ability is more important in today's NFL". Bullshit. A couple of days later I had my answer. Caserio had been beating a drum for Harry to be the pick for a couple of weeks and in the end, BB gave in to Caserio's constant nagging.

Picking traits over production is fine for later round gems or small school prospects. The benchmark for receivers to be a high pick is to have at least 30% of his team's production for receptions, TDs and yards. And speed is all important for an X receiver. A 4.4 40 is the absolute cutoff point for an ideal WR1 at X. Harry ran a 4.53. People wonder why DK Metcalf was an instant success but it's really not a secret. He ran a 4.33 40, had a 41" high jump and an 11' broad jump at 6'3" tall weighing 228 lbs. He has 35" arms and 10" hands. Wonder no more. He's the ideal X receiver from a physical and athletic pov. Seattle got him at pick 64. You can't teach speed, athleticism or size and Metcalf has them all. Harry only has the size.

I'm certain Caserio learned a lesson there albeit at great cost to BB's reputation. There's a lot more to evaluating a proper WR than production, agility and speed but those 3 are table stakes that either get a guy into the conversation or eliminate him altogether as a high round pick. Harry didn't measure up and should never have been in that conversation.

Last edited:
Many of the draft gurus, Kiper et.al., were critical of the Pats picking him in the first round.
I'm no expert but I have made WR evaluation a hobby for the last 8 years and I've learned a lot about it. Plus I slept at a Holiday Inn a couple of times during that span.
I had him slotted as a 3rd to 4th rnd pick primarily because of his slow 40 time, disappointing agility times, short arms for his height and poor route running skills. It was disappointing to me that the Patriots chose Harry at all but IN THE FIRST ROUND?! The Harry pick was so far out of bounds for what BB has traditionally liked at the WR position - it made no sense whatsoever. Something was amiss.

We got a hint the very next day when we saw Caserio on TV frothing about Harry's contested catch ability followed by "receivers don't get open in the NFL any more. Contested catch ability is more important in today's NFL". Bullshit. A couple of days later I had my answer. Caserio had been beating a drum for Harry to be the pick for a couple of weeks and in the end, BB gave in to Caserio's constant nagging.

Picking traits over production is fine for later round gems or small school prospects. The benchmark for receivers to be a high pick is to have at least 30% of his team's production for receptions, TDs and yards. And speed is all important for an X receiver. A 4.4 40 is the absolute cutoff point for an ideal WR1 at X. Harry ran a 4.53. People wonder why DK Metcalf was an instant success but it's really not a secret. He ran a 4.33 40, had a 41" high jump and an 11' broad jump at 6'3" tall weighing 228 lbs. He has 35" arms and 10" hands. Wonder no more. He's the ideal X receiver from a physical and athletic pov. Seattle got him at pick 64. You can't teach speed, athleticism or size and Metcalf has them all. Harry only has the size.

I'm certain Caserio learned a lesson there albeit at great cost to BB's reputation. There's a lot more to evaluating a proper WR than production, agility and speed but those 3 are table stakes that either get a guy into the conversation or eliminate him altogether as a high round pick. Harry didn't measure up and should never have been in that conversation.

One odd thing about Dobson and Harry, at least to me, was that they both had a couple of incredible one-handed catches in College that led me to believe that is who they were, but
neither one of them showed that kind of skill with the Pats. Harry, in particular, muffed more than a few routine catches and never, that I can recall, ever made a wow catch here.

Also, for a guy with his size, he couldn't seem to use it to his advantage and smaller DBs were able to body him effectively and he showed little in the way of winning contested catches.

Ah, well. He looked good in pads for a while there.

I’ve never seen footage where Harry looked good in pads outside of standing on the sideline. For awhile I thought maybe he was Drafted due to some outstanding interviews. Then I heard him speak. The statement from his agent confirms what I’ve been thinking. Keep blaming everyone else bud......
I’m really happy he’ll be gone. Waste of a roster spot, waste of reps, and a waste of the staffs time and attention. Sometimes your got to spit on something and walk away.
We’re all very excited about this new class of rookies. Personally I’m very excited about Barmore. There’s a lot to look forward to.

Honestly I’m not at all sure he’d make the roster or start in a game anyway. No idea what team is supposed to be interested, and have capital they’re willing to fork over, for a trade to happen. Based on this stunt I would not be surprised at all if he’s played his last game of NFL football already.

Honestly I’m not at all sure he’d make the roster or start in a game anyway. No idea what team is supposed to be interested, and have capital they’re willing to fork over, for a trade to happen. Based on this stunt I would not be surprised at all if he’s played his last game of NFL football already.
Here is an article with 3 possible teams interested in him. I have also seen the Niners rumored to have interest. He definitely has a market but I doubt any teams gives higher than a conditional 6 or 7 for him. I would imagine they will wait for us to release him. He has by no means played his last game in this league. Remember last year he played with the worst starting passer QB in the league. That is not lost on other teams as he does have skills if he is paired with a good QB in a decent system where he gets some targets coming his way.

I’ve never seen footage where Harry looked good in pads outside of standing on the sideline. For awhile I thought maybe he was Drafted due to some outstanding interviews. Then I heard him speak. The statement from his agent confirms what I’ve been thinking. Keep blaming everyone else bud......
I’m really happy he’ll be gone. Waste of a roster spot, waste of reps, and a waste of the staffs time and attention. Sometimes your got to spit on something and walk away.
We’re all very excited about this new class of rookies. Personally I’m very excited about Barmore. There’s a lot to look forward to.

I should have made it obvious that "looking good in pads" is kind of a sarcastic way of saying that a guy can't really play.

Just an old expression that I shouldn't have assumed everybody would get.

"Poser" would have worked better.

I should have made it obvious that "looking good in pads" is kind of a sarcastic way of saying that a guy can't really play.

Just an old expression that I shouldn't have assumed everybody would get.

"Poser" would have worked better.
What about the classic "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" line.
Too cliche?

Here is an article with 3 possible teams interested in him. I have also seen the Niners rumored to have interest. He definitely has a market but I doubt any teams gives higher than a conditional 6 or 7 for him. I would imagine they will wait for us to release him. He has by no means played his last game in this league. Remember last year he played with the worst starting passer QB in the league. That is not lost on other teams as he does have skills if he is paired with a good QB in a decent system where he gets some targets coming his way.

HE CAN'T GET OPEN.

Unless something changed while I was off the grid for a couple of days, that is a somewhat important ability for an NFL WR.

I can't believe you dissed TFB like that. :coffee:

Last edited:
HE CAN'T GET OPEN.

Unless something changed while I was off the grid for a couple of days, that is a somewhat of and important ability for an NFL WR.

I can't believe you dissed TFB like that. :coffee:
He was open plenty last season. Cam was just awful.

I am not saying Harry is going to be a pro bowler but he will be better with an actual NFL QB.

Has a 1st round bust ever requested a trade after being downright terrible his second year?

I am not saying Harry is going to be a pro bowler but he will be better with an actual NFL QB.

No he wasn't.

No he wasn't.
Man. That is a terrible stat for him. I guess we will see what happens. He for sure needs a fresh start. I remember when we got Dorsett from Indy. He had been a first round bust for them but was pretty money for us for a few seasons. Perhaps Harry can have that type of turn around with a solid QB and solid OC too.

If you watch the all 22 tapes from the 2019 season when TB (The Baby)12 whined about no one being open you'll see that lots of guys were, in fact, wide open Jakobi Myers in particular. But, The Baby wouldn't throw to them because he didn't trust them. Of course, you can't gain trust unless you're thrown to...

Back