It's not the press, it's the entire culture up there. There is so much hockey arrogance by Canada towards America, there will always be pressure on organizations to draft Canadians first. I'd love to see some Canadian team take Eichel over McDavid just to watch the fireworks, but it won't happen.

Truth be told, neither Eichel nor McDavid has looked all that good in this tournament. Domi is the best player participating right now and Demko is by far the best goaltender in the tournament.

Also, given that I actually live here, most Canadians want their team to take the best player available. I've lived in BC, Edmonton and Ottawa, and never have I heard the local press, communities, friends, coworkers, etc. favor or hate against certain players based solely on being American.

If anything, many Canadians discriminate against Russians because we regard them as soft and lacking defensively.

I'm not so sure.

Looch is still only 26.

An established leader. Would instill instant credibility and leadership there - something sorely lacking. Looch is never going to be the focal point of an Offense(he's only a 1st liner in Boston) but he could very well re-energize and develop that fearsome 2way threat he had here again in Edmonton with all the young talent.

Worth trying. From both sides IMO.

Sure...maybe Edmonton hasn't been paying attention and thinks he's still the player he was in 2011
More likely, their fans would burn their building down if the team made that trade.
Everyone saw his embarassing performance in the playoffs , and at the end of the Bruins loss
Everyone saw him cower in fear against Prout
Outside of New England, he's seen as a whining crybaby and a joke.
Far from the intimidating force fe was earlier in his career.
Sure, a change of environment might spur him to regain what he once had. But why would Edmonton take that chance?
If the Bruins could pull off that deal, it would be fantastic.
Might even make up for the fleecing they got in the Seguin trade

Sure...maybe Edmonton hasn't been paying attention and thinks he's still the player he was in 2011
More likely, their fans would burn their building down if the team made that trade.
Everyone saw his embarassing performance in the playoffs , and at the end of the Bruins loss
Everyone saw him cower in fear against Prout
Outside of New England, he's seen as a whining crybaby and a joke.
Far from the intimidating force fe was earlier in his career.
Sure, a change of environment might spur him to regain what he once had. But why would Edmonton take that chance?
If the Bruins could pull off that deal, it would be fantastic.
Might even make up for the fleecing they got in the Seguin trade

I guess I missed the 'cowering in fear'. He didn't look very fearful Saturday night.

This TEAM has lost it's balls, don't expect one guy to be able to maintain that.

When he's played with a #1 center he's produced just fine, even this year in fact.

I guess I missed the 'cowering in fear'. He didn't look very fearful Saturday night.

This TEAM has lost it's balls, don't expect one guy to be able to maintain that.

When he's played with a #1 center he's produced just fine, even this year in fact.

I think he's respected and valued far more around the league. You don't build an offense around him, but he's the quintessential secondary piece.

The trouble here is he's viewed as first line material, and he really isn't.

I think he's respected and valued far more around the league. You don't build an offense around him, but he's the quintessential secondary piece.

The trouble here is he's viewed as first line material, and he really isn't.

If he's dealt you watch how fast that changes, this will be the softest team in the league.

The GM has screwed this team up with piss poor drafting, bad trades and overpayment to keep his guys along with giving out no trades clauses like they were candy.

Other than one or two guys this entire team has under achieved, starting with the goalie who's not stolen 1 game for them. The defense has been poor, as has the 4th line.

Only ofor late has the Bergeron line woken up along with Erikkson and Sodaberg.

I just can't take the in depth hockey analysis of the constant bitching about one guy when everyone hasn't been getting it done.

If he's dealt you watch how fast that changes, this will be the softest team in the league.

The GM has screwed this team up with piss poor drafting, bad trades and overpayment to keep his guys along with giving out no trades clauses like they were candy.

Other than one or two guys this entire team has under achieved, starting with the goalie who's not stolen 1 game for them. The defense has been poor, as has the 4th line.

Only ofor late has the Bergeron line woken up along with Erikkson and Sodaberg.

I just can't take the in depth hockey analysis of the constant bitching about one guy when everyone hasn't been getting it done.

I agree with this post top to bottom.

Especially Tuukka. And he has some air of entitlement or achievement to him. Vezinas don't do it Tuuk. Steal me a playoff series and I'll steer more towards your court.

The only reason I'd throw Looch around in a trade is to get something of value in return. I still think he's valued around the league and you could get a significant trade package back.

Besides, they're playing soft with him. What's the dif?

Source?

You're right there that is a lot of bias in the media (not shocking), but there are people from different countries within these organizations. Scouts from all over the world, etc. Now, perhaps there is an inherent bias and Canadian execs are likely to believe the Canadian kid will be a better player long-term (rightly or wrongly), but that isn't the same as systematically discriminating against Americans.

Montreal is a bit different. Remember the insanity when they insisted only a French speaking coach could be hired?

I don't give a shit who goes 1st overall because my team won't be picking. I've never understood the never-ending season long hype about who's going 1st or 2nd or whatever. If my team isn't making those picks then it really doesn't matter to me. And if you like Eichel and Edmonton gets the pick, I'd think you'd want them NOT to pick him given how much of a shitshow that organization is.

Scouts I know have told me that there's no way a Canadian franchise passes on McDavid to take Eichel (despite the fact that most have Eichel rated higher). McDavid definitely had a better WJC so when the mid season scouting reports come out, McDavid will likely be rated higher so it'll take them off the hook. Likely McDavid goes first, followed by Eichel and then Hanifin.

article_253d4108-f41c-4576-8933-6b54d2d0e4b1.PNG

Perhaps for good reason.

I like both guys and see it as a toss up at this point. Unless it's Vancouver with #1, I don't care which of the two goes first.

So what happens when the only Canadian team in the draft lottery loses? do they do a re-rank?

Perhaps for good reason.

I like both guys and see it as a toss up at this point. Unless it's Vancouver with #1, I don't care which of the two goes first.

As do most. I guess the Red Line folks are run by the Canadian media:coffee:

As do most. I guess the Red Line folks are run by the Canadian media:coffee:

I don't disagree that the Canadian media loves Canadian boys, but I don't really see a problem with that. All media is biased, and it's not exactly shocking that the CANADIAN media would pump the tires of CANADIAN prospects. It's not like the US media (sports or otherwise) doesn't seriously oversell many things American.

I'd have no problem with Eichel on the Canucks :D

I don't think you can go wrong with either guy, and I think most NHL teams feel the same.

I don't disagree that the Canadian media loves Canadian boys, but I don't really see a problem with that. All media is biased, and it's not exactly shocking that the CANADIAN media would pump the tires of CANADIAN prospects. It's not like the US media (sports or otherwise) doesn't seriously oversell many things American.

I'd have no problem with Eichel on the Canucks :D

I don't think you can go wrong with either guy, and I think most NHL teams feel the same.

Of course they do, but at the end of the day a Canadian team hasn't won a cup since 1993 and I'm sure teams are going to pick the player they feel gives the the best chance to win.

I guess going back 4 or 5 years when the McDavid talk started, they knew one of the Canadian teams may have a chance at that pick and started the hype machine.

I recall Edmonton taking that good ole Canadian boy Nail Yakapov a few years back #1ROFL

Of course they do, but at the end of the day a Canadian team hasn't won a cup since 1993 and I'm sure teams are going to pick the player they feel gives the the best chance to win.

I guess going back 4 or 5 years when the McDavid talk started, they knew one of the Canadian teams may have a chance at that pick and started the hype machine.

I recall Edmonton taking that good ole Canadian boy Nail Yakapov a few years back #1ROFL

Ya, and they took him over (Canadian) #2 Ryan Murray, who is having a good year with Columbus. So what's this about Canadian teams only drafting Canadians #1 overall? Furthermore, in that same draft Montreal took Galchenyuk at #3. Winnipeg also drafted an American defenseman at #9, one pick before TB took a Canadian defenseman. In 2011, Ottawa took Zibanejad at #6 over Scheifele, Hamilton and Couturier.

Shall I keep going? ROFL

I said it a few posts back. These teams want to win, and feel the need to win in a way many American franchises don't. They want the best players for the job. I'm sure some people have subconscious biases whereby they might favor a Canadian player, but that isn't the same thing as categorically committing to Canadian players even when better options exist.

Ya, and they took him over #2 Ryan Murray, who is having a good year with Columbus. So what's this about Canadian teams only drafting Canadians #1 overall?

I said it a few posts back. These teams want to win, and feel the need to win in a way many American franchises don't. They want the best players for the job. I'm sure some people have subconscious biases whereby they might favor a Canadian player, but that isn't the same thing as categorically committing to Canadian players even when better options exist.

Should have taken the American kid who went 3rd, to the freakin Canadiens:coffee:

Perhaps for good reason.

That's a blistering pace that McDavid is carrying. Especially in comparison to some of the games best scorers.

Do you really think it's unreasonable to have him ahead of Eichel Glum?

Back