Oh by the way - Deflategate2?

I can't wait for Mike Tomlin's 25 minute press conference where he talks about balls. The shape of balls. The feel and texture of balls. How balls are handled and rubbed down.

BaNZYaLIUAAuNvf.jpg

Florio continues to have fun with this.

Stage is set for DeflateGate III, if Patriots are willing to push it

Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2016, 12:52 PM EST

Like many sequels that will spawn even more sequels, DeflateGate II left a few loose ends. Which sets the stage for DeflateGate III.

Yes, there could be a DeflateGate III. Undoubtedly, there won’t be. But there could be.

At a select cold-weather game (possibly on Sunday in Denver, where the high temperature will be 31 degrees), the Patriots could do what the Giants apparently didn’t do in DeflateGate II: File a “formal complaint” during, not after, the game regarding the air pressure in the opponents’ footballs.

To properly lay the foundation, the Patriots would need to get their hands on a Broncos football, via interception or fumble recovery. The Patriots could then alert the league that the football seems underinflated, which would put the NFL in a box.

Based on what happened in the Colts-Patriots postseason game 23 months ago and what didn’t happen 12 days ago during the Giants-Steelers game (because, apparently, the Giants didn’t raise the issue during the game), the league may feel compelled to gather all balls for both teams and test them.

Depending on the timing of the complaint, the testing would happen at halftime or at the end of the game (the latter would be more ideal, given that there would be more time for the testing and likewise more exposure of the balls to the elements). Quite possibly, the final numbers of all footballs for both teams would be in the same range as the New England footballs in January 2015.

And that would operate as a de facto exoneration of the Patriots from DeflateGate I.

Of course, there’s no guarantee that the league would disclose the numbers. Over the past two seasons, the NFL stubbornly has refused to release the measurements obtained during PSI spot checks.

The reason for the silence is simple: Air pressure drops on cold days, and a comparison of PSI readings obtained in a different game to those from the game that spawned DeflateGate I would potentially confirm that the league presumed guilt and clumsily worked backward.

Will never happen. The Pats are done with footballs and air pressure. But would not surprise me if some team in the future does do what Florio is suggesting and file a complaint before the game and then get their hands on a ball during the game and gauge it.

I am just happy that everyone can see how biased the league was toward the Pats and how the whole thing was a complete joke from day one.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the NFL fabricates some BS numbers then turns around and says "see - Patriots are the cheeterz!!!!!"
The NFL has moved beyond Deflategate - they don't care about PSI anymore. There's a protocol in place and it's impossible for it fail.

Scandals are better when they're new. The current plan at NFL HQ is to blame the Patriots for the Wake Forest cheating episode. :D

Regarding the question as to if the Giants or Colts measuring the air of a ball constitutes a rule violation, I have a question.

In both cases, the balls in question were from the opponents group of 12.

The defense obtained the ball via interception or fumble recovery and took it to their bench.

Thus they no longer were a ball that could be put in play by either offense or used in the kicking game.

As such, is one of these balls still considered a "game ball" and so governed by the NFL rules?

If they are not, then would there be any prohibition to put a guage in them?

The NFL has moved beyond Deflategate - they don't care about PSI anymore. There's a protocol in place and it's impossible for it fail.

Scandals are better when they're new. The current plan at NFL HQ is to blame the Patriots for the Wake Forest cheating episode. :D

Hardly, if the jets accused the pats having deflated balls next week its the biggest story in sports.

Regarding the question as to if the Giants or Colts measuring the air of a ball constitutes a rule violation, I have a question.

In both cases, the balls in question were from the opponents group of 12.

The defense obtained the ball via interception or fumble recovery and took it to their bench.

Thus they no longer were a ball that could be put in play by either offense or used in the kicking game.

As such, is one of these balls still considered a "game ball" and so governed by the NFL rules?

If they are not, then would there be any prohibition to put a guage in them?

I sure don't know the answer, but it's a legit question.

But it made me think of another problem. If turnover balls come out of service and Fitzpatrick is your QB, is 12 balls enough?

I was hoping the Patriots would turn them selves in, there was going to be deflation today. Reporting on yourself would be hilarious and they wouldn't be accusing any other team.

Back