Opening of Inglewood stadium delayed until 2020

By the time it opens will LA even care about having pro football franchises in the city any longer?

L.A. needs waiver allowing Super Bowl in first year at stadium

Posted by Josh Alper on May 18, 2017, 2:24 PM EDT

The Rams and Chargers announced on Thursday that the opening of their new stadium in Inglewood will be pushed back from 2019 to 2020, leaving the teams to play in their temporary homes for at least three more seasons.

It also leaves the NFL scheduled to play Super Bowl LV in February 2021 in a stadium that will have only been open for one regular season. NFL rules state that a stadium must be open for at least two years before they can host a Super Bowl, but the hosts can submit a request to waive that rule.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the waiver application will be made in light of the development and there’s history of the league granting them. A waiver was needed for the Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey because the average temperatures at the open-air stadium were lower than the threshold mandated by league guidelines.

Given the league’s zeal to have a foothold in Los Angeles, it seems likely that a waiver would also be granted in this case and that should keep the game in place unless the opening gets pushed back again at some point in the intervening years.

Is Kraft the only guy who built a shiny new palace and DIDNT get the game?

Not the only one, but that's more to do with Gillette being open air in a cold site and the difficult logistics of Foxboro. The Meadowlands got the Super Bowl only because it was used as a carrot for public subsidies. I doubt New York gets another one.

Seattle, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Washington and Pittsburgh all built new stadiums in the relative recent past but never hosted the Super Bowl. Even Carolina has not hosted one. The NFL prefers a sterile environment for the game and only makes exceptions when it's needed as incentive for public money.

Obviously they did their due dilligence before moving two teams, and noone could predict that something might take longer than expected.
I want a job in the NFL HQ so badly.

What? Clearly they have 2020 vision.. :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Pretty much. Northern stadiums don't get Super Bowls if they don't have a dome, if then. There is a geographical bias on who gets the game, but it's easy to see why.

Not the only one, but that's more to do with Gillette being open air in a cold site and the difficult logistics of Foxboro. The Meadowlands got the Super Bowl only because it was used as a carrot for public subsidies. I doubt New York gets another one.

Seattle, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Washington and Pittsburgh all built new stadiums in the relative recent past but never hosted the Super Bowl. Even Carolina has not hosted one. The NFL prefers a sterile environment for the game and only makes exceptions when it's needed as incentive for public money.

Seem to remember one being played at the Meadowlands a few years ago.

I believe I referenced that in my post :coffee:

touche'

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Well, I think there's a real good reason that you won't see one at Gillete...

...too great a reason the Pats might be in it. Goodell would probably literally die than have that happen.

Leaving aside all the other reasons to fire his sorry ass, the way this LA thing went down is all the proof needed that Goodell is a total incompetent. By the time that stadium opens no one outside the NFL office is going to give any shits at all.

Do they even care now?

Cheers

Good question! Friends in SoCal are already bummed that broadcasts will be filled with Rams and Chargers games. They have been spoiled now with years of prime choices of the best match ups each week.

Good question! Friends in SoCal are already bummed that broadcasts will be filled with Rams and Chargers games. They have been spoiled now with years of prime choices of the best match ups each week.

Wonder if Vegas may be the same once the Raiders arrive?

Unless the franchises are contenders, I have my doubts as to whether they will draw the crowds in.

Pretty much. Northern stadiums don't get Super Bowls if they don't have a dome, if then. There is a geographical bias on who gets the game, but it's easy to see why.

There was an incident that took place in 1982 in Detroit which hosted Super Bowl 16 at the still-new Silverdome.

Detroit had been hit by some bad winter weather and there was a lot of snow on the city streets. The NFL had been facing some criticism for allowing the game to take place there and one of the things they did in order to generate some entertainment value for the customers was to organize a "pub crawl" using buses.

Anyhow, during one of these sanctioned events a drunken fan somehow fell through the rear door of a bus without being noticed and landed in a deep snowbank, passed out and froze to death.

The way I recall it, there were statements out of the league that there would never be another cold weather SB as a result of the negative publicity and it was a really big deal at the time.

However, try googling the incident and you will find NOTHING. Like it was scrubbed from history by the NFL. And it was many years before a northern city hosted after that.

I bring this up as something that I'm simply curious about, because I'm sure that it did take place, but I've never heard it cited when the discussion of cold weather Super Bowls takes place.

Anyone remember this happening?

There was an incident that took place in 1982 in Detroit which hosted Super Bowl 16 at the still-new Silverdome.

Detroit had been hit by some bad winter weather and there was a lot of snow on the city streets. The NFL had been facing some criticism for allowing the game to take place there and one of the things they did in order to generate some entertainment value for the customers was to organize a "pub crawl" using buses.

Anyhow, during one of these sanctioned events a drunken fan somehow fell through the rear door of a bus without being noticed and landed in a deep snowbank, passed out and froze to death.

The way I recall it, there were statements out of the league that there would never be another cold weather SB as a result of the negative publicity and it was a really big deal at the time.

However, try googling the incident and you will find NOTHING. Like it was scrubbed from history by the NFL. And it was many years before a northern city hosted after that.

I bring this up as something that I'm simply curious about, because I'm sure that it did take place, but I've never heard it cited when the discussion of cold weather Super Bowls takes place.

Anyone remember this happening?

The NFL sent Marty and Doc Brown back to prevent that little incident. Their next trip is to prevent Bill Belichick's parents from ever meeting.

Back