OT Second language? To those with young kids.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OT Second language? To those with young kids.

babalu87 on 06-28-2007 at 12:32 PM said:
Thats where you mis-read my post. I stated ILLEGAL, people here legal will/must learn to speak Englsih.

- You mean they should. Not all legal residents/citizens speak english.

If English isnt the official language why do the test to become a citizen require one to be able to read/understand english?

- Just check. The United States of America doesn't have an official language. And there's plenty of american citizens that DO NOT speak english.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OT Second language? To those with young kids.

maxhagen on 06-28-2007 at 12:44 PM said:
- You mean they should. Not all legal residents/citizens speak english.

- Just check. The United States of America doesn't have an official language. And there's plenty of american citizens that DO NOT speak english.

Actually then the State of New Hampshire is ahead of the curve on this one.
The Official Language of the Granite State
English.

There is no doubt I will encourage them to learn a second language and Spanish will more than likely be it due to reasons mentioned here and here (at work)

At least I see some here so far know where I am coming from on the issue anyway.

DAMN, I forgot an s in my previous post

:banghead:

Personally, anything that gets my kids interested in something, I view as a good thing.

You never know, they might like it enough to make a profession out of it or it may lead to other languages.

I would encourage anything they pursued that would impact them in a positive way. Learning a second language is a positive thing and you shouldn't let your beliefs in illegal immigration color how you view your children's education IMHO.

My parents never put any limits on any of us and each one of us has a completely different professional occupation that covers the spectrum. My father is an ex jock himself and I know that he would be just a fine with me taking ballet as he would be if I took boxing. He might not understand it and might raise an eyebrow but he wouldn't have discouraged me. It's one of the things I'm grateful for with my parents.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OT Second language? To those with young kids.

babalu87 on 06-28-2007 at 12:53 PM said:
Actually then the State of New Hampshire is ahead of the curve on this one.
The Official Language of the Granite State
English.

- First of all my intention is not to create an issue out of this. Second is that Federal Law supersede state laws and there is no federal law that says that english is the official language in the States. English is the De-Facto language.

There is no doubt I will encourage them to learn a second language and Spanish will more than likely be it due to reasons mentioned here and here (at work)

- Good to hear that. It's called being practical. ;)

At least I see some here so far know where I am coming from on the issue anyway.

- I understand your point and I might be a little harsh in what I said. The problem is that latinos are not the only illegal immigrants here. The generalizations is what drive me nuts. :banghead:

Im not saying that you are generalizing but sometimes is good to see the other side of the coin. I don't know what they (illegals) have to come through to come here to the great US. Like any other person from PR I am born US citizen. My only problem with illegals (wherever they come from) is not paying TAXES. They should have the right to be raped, stabbed and suffer what we suffer every day. If you come here to the US to work, not pay taxes and come back wherever you came from then Fock You!!! (misspelled on purpose ;) ) If you are willing to share our pain you're most welcome to stay.

Oh, by they way... learn the language too... like I did.

Sorry to be such a pain in the neck.

babalu87 on 06-28-2007 at 10:26 AM said:
I want my kids to learn a second language because I think it will benefit them in their adult lives.
I just dont know if I want language to be Spanish for issues that currently have our country at odds from the heartlands to Washington DC.

We have the opportunity, however, to have our kids (2 and 5 with mom there of course) take a class over the summer in Spanish.
I am really at odds with this. Like I said a second language could be beneficial, especially $$$$ wise down the road, I just dont know about Spanish. I get the feeling it is being rammed down our throats now?
Yesterday I call FedEx to inquire about a package I shipped 2 months ago (dont ask I am pissed at the salesman for waiting so GD long) and was greeted with English AND Spanish.

So you know where I am coming from I dont like having to choose a language at the ATM

Teach the kid Latin. I teach Latin, and many of my students have gone on to pick up 3rd, 4th, and 5th Romance languages with little difficulty; several have picked up German, since both Latin and German use cases, which is a particular method to how nouns/adjectives work in a sentece.

Apparently the Rosetta Stone company offers their program in Latin; I'm ordering a sample to check it out.

By the way, if anyone hears real Latin spoken, it's possibly the most beautiful language out there. Then again, you usually have to go to the Vatican for that :)

I speak Spanish and English fluently. I do think learning Spanish is a very good language to learn because there are a lot of Spanish people in the US and it's not that hard to learn.

In high school, I took French because I thought it would have been cool to learn a third language but I forgot most of it. I can only remember a few French words.

Go with Greek. Some people have mentioned Latin, well, with Greek, you get almost as much of the benefits of Latin in regards to understanding multiple languages, plus it's actually spoken outside of classrooms and churches.
With just a very basic knowledge of Greek that I picked up from listening to my parents and grandparents talk, and a few years of Greek lessons that I barely paid attention to (I was a kid and didn't care at the time), I was able to understand Spanish much easier when I took it in high school. I mean, Greek is pretty much to Latin as Latin is to Spanish, English, French, etc.

Well well well, look at what the cat dragged in.

tmack, where the hell have you been you bastard? :D

SteelerFan87 on 06-28-2007 at 06:48 PM said:
I mean, Greek is pretty much to Latin as Latin is to Spanish, English, French, etc.

Huh? Elaborate, please. I took ancient Greek in college, and I take it in grad school, and I'm not seeing your connection.

Btw, did you know that kimono comes from Greek?

Just in case there really are people interested in learning Chinese: There are 2 flavors of Chinese writing systems. Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese.

If you want to learn Chinese to take advantage of China economy boom, take the Simplified one which is used in China. It was the result of the Great Cultural Revolution and created by basically butchering the real thing.

And if you want to learn the language in its literature beauty and art form, take the Traditional one. Traditional Chines is used mainly in Taiwan and Hong Kong. So it's not total loss on the economic side. :)

My freshman and 8th grade boys both took Spanish this year and will continue to learn it. They enjoyed the class and it will be a tremendous advantage for them to speak the language, particularly living in Texas. It's pretty cool to hear them (particularly my oldest who is picking it up very well) Speaking Spanish. I know some too.

My wife's best friend came from Cuba when she was little. Her parents literally jumped on a boat and came to America. Her Dad was a surgeon and quite rich. They already spoke English when they first got to the U.S. My wife's friend has been a tremendous asset to us in the past, speaking Spanich fluently and I hope my kids can do the same.

chupe el pene y me consigue una cerveza

pookie on 06-28-2007 at 10:37 PM said:
chupe el pene y me consigue una cerveza

The beer I can give you, the other stuff... estas jodido... ;) :p

SteelerFan87 on 06-28-2007 at 06:48 PM said:
Go with Greek. Some people have mentioned Latin, well, with Greek, you get almost as much of the benefits of Latin in regards to understanding multiple languages,I mean, Greek is pretty much to Latin as Latin is to Spanish, English, French, etc.
Do you have any facts to support this or just what they told you at sunday school. Cuz its the first time I hear or read anyone say that Greek is the root of latin.

The only thing the latin adopted from greek is the alphabet. Roman culture is derived from greek culture too (especially politics and mythology). but the actual language is not derived from greek.

maxhagen on 06-29-2007 at 10:07 AM said:
The only thing the latin adopted from greek is the alphabet. Roman culture is derived from greek culture too (especially politics and mythology). but the actual language is not derived from greek.
so if I may sum up here, what you are saying, max, is that SteelerFan87 is trying to back-door the Greeks :eek: again as being allegedly in the fore-front of civilization :thumb:

Speaking of languages, does anyone know if the Language Institute of Boston is any good? I was thinking of taking a brush up course there and saw some other languages I might be interested in learning. I haven't used them before but they seem to have classes in something like 80 different languages.

maxhagen on 06-29-2007 at 10:07 AM said:

Ok, let me just state that I have my Masters in Roman history from Tufts University, and I'm currently working on my PhD in Roman history.

Greek and Latin have different alphabets, and they are not related at all. Latin borrows words at times, but it's not that common. Latin has one case that Greek does not use.

Roman culture is NOT derived from Greek culture. Roman culture was influenced by the Greek occupation of southern Italy, but the Etruscans, and the neighboring Latin tribes had more of an influence.

Politics? Somewhat. Nevermind the fact that Athens was a strict democracy, while Rome was a republic and then a monarchy. The only main connection is that Romans would often go to Athens in order to become skilled public speakers. But besides that.. yes, there are similiarities, but the Romans did not take it from the Greeks.

Mythology: yes, the Romans adopted the Greek pantheon, although the FUNCTION of mythology for the Romans was very different than that of the Greeks.

Back