Our fundraiser for Children's Hospital Boston

bishbash

Tall Earthquake Finders roam the desert
Reaction score
Hello to my Planet Family,

When our son was almost 2 years old he had open heart surgery to repair 2 holes in his heart at Children's Hospital Boston. One hole was a PDA, which all babies have in utero and is supposed to close up by birth, the other was an ASD which was 1.75 inches across and meant his heart was recirculated his blood around and around in his heart. He was the cutest kid ever, but was way behind in his development. If not repaired, his life span would have been reduced. We found everyone at Children's to be outstanding, from the Surgeon, to the Cardiologist, to the anesthesiologist, to the nurses, to the intake folks. Awesome place. Especially for scared-to-death parents.

We took him to another local hospital first and they only found one of the holes. They also said he wouldn't need surgery until he was 5. We went to Children's for a second opinion and they found the second hole and recommended we have the surgery as soon as possible. Children's also discovered that he had "transient Celiac Disease", which is an intolerance to Gluten (wheat, rye, oats, and barley).

Our son is now a very healthy 11 year old, and I believe he wouldn't be in as good a shape as he is if he hadn't been treated at Children's. As a thank you to the hospital, we are leaving on June 22 on a cross country bicycle ride to raise funds for them. My wife, son, and I will ride from Boston to Seattle and then down to California to my parents in SoCal. The trip will take around 5 months.

If you would like to make a donation to Children's Hospital Boston, I would most appreciate it. Any amount is fine. As parents my wife and I found that Children's Hospital Boston to be the model for what we feel every hospital should be.

Here is the link to our donation page:

http://howtohelp.childrenshospital.org/events/pfp/?ID=BE0063&Name=bostontoseattletolaforchildrens

I'll be absent from this site while we are gone, but I wish you all (and the Patriots) the best for this summer and fall!
most sincerely, Erik (bishbash)

Tyler 2 days after surgery:
Tyler6E.jpg

A more recent photo of Tyler:
Tyler2.jpg

Best of luck to you and your family on what will be a journey to remember for the rest of your lives. Stay safe and be well!

Wow best of luck to you and your family! That is quite the trip for you all but I am sure it will be something none of you will ever forget!

What a beautiful story! Now that is how a hospital should be. At the hospital I did my clinical rotation in all they ever talked about was $$.

Childrens hopsitals are always the best. It's a whole 'nother ball game. :)

Wonderful that you are doing this for them. These are the people that are meant to do this- to help others, not for the paycheck.

Good luck on your journey, sounds awesome!!! :)

One hole was a PDA, which all babies have in utero and is supposed to close up by birth,

Wow, kids have Palm Pilot's, Blackberry's or iPod touch's in utero now?

Damn, no wonder they're so good with computers now. :D

Seriously, I think this is great what you're doing and am very happy that your son is doing better. I have no doubt that this trip will be an experience that you guys will cherish for years to come.

You are just trying to upstage my kick ass 39 mile walk, ain't ya? :mad:

Seriously, this is really, really cool. I am jealous. Have a phenomenal trip.

Wow-
What a rollercoaster story-With a great ending.
Can't Imagine all, He and You had to go through.
Great Cause,and Best to all in your adventure/trip/quest !!!

Thanks to those that have donated and for all the well wishes! At this moment, I'm both excited and a bit nervous. It was easy to take off and do something like this in my 20's, but at this point (with a house, bills, pets, etc. to have taken care of while we'll be gone) it's a little bigger deal to go away for 5 months. We'll be bringing a netbook along, so I'll try to check in once in a while here from the road and post some photos.

I'll post the donation link one more time here. Any amount, large or tiny is appreciated.

http://howtohelp.childrenshospital.org/events/pfp/?ID=BE0063&Name=bostontoseattletolaforchildrens

Thanks to those that have donated and for all the well wishes! At this moment, I'm both excited and a bit nervous. It was easy to take off and do something like this in my 20's, but at this point (with a house, bills, pets, etc. to have taken care of while we'll be gone) it's a little bigger deal to go away for 5 months. We'll be bringing a netbook along, so I'll try to check in once in a while here from the road and post some photos.

I'll post the donation link one more time here. Any amount, large or tiny is appreciated.

I do house and pet sit for people if you need help :) Not sure where you are located though

I do house and pet sit for people if you need help :) Not sure where you are located though
Thanks for the offer, TBL! We are way over in Keene, NH so not an easy commute for you. My wife teaches at the local college and we found a grad student to house-sit. My wife took care of some friend's dog when they went around the world for a year and a half so they owe us big time. You just never think of all the little details that have to be taken care of before something like this.

Come on, people. This is a great huge feat on the part of Bish and family, and for a great cause. My brother spent a year at Children's with polio. I spent three months at Children's as a child with what was thought to be leukemia but miraculously turned out not to be. The least we can do is donate what the cost of a couple of beers are!!! (Or for those who smoke, a couple of packs of cigarettes).

Come on, people. This is a great huge feat on the part of Bish and family, and for a great cause. My brother spent a year at Children's with polio. I spent three months at Children's as a child with what was thought to be leukemia but miraculously turned out not to be. The least we can do is donate what the cost of a couple of beers are!!! (Or for those who smoke, a couple of packs of cigarettes).
I donated! Stop yelling at me :sulk: ;)

Thanks for the "cheerleading", Lisa! I'm overwhelmed by the response from folks already. If anyone wants to make a donation offline you can send a check to this address:

Children's Hospital Trust
Community Fundraisers
Tara Hardimon
1 Autumn Street #731
Boston, MA 02215

Checks should be made payable to Children's Hospital Boston. Please include in the memo section “Bell Family Ride”.

Thanks again, all!

Back