Patriots sign Hogan to offer

This stuff by Zack Moore was really interesting even for somebody that doesn't care for contract/cap discussion that much.

His points about the BB/Patriot philosophy sounds completely legit to me and is explained well. I had never really considered Wayne Chrebet to be an influence in why we have built an offense around slot guys, but, again, it seems logical.

Now, if someday soon we can start blending slot success with production outside the hashes and down the field a little, then all will make total sense.

All I know about Chris Hogan is that he was about the only guy on that Buffalo offense that showed up when we played them. He was
"pesky".

Come to think of it, "pesky" is the same way I thought of Welker when he was in Miami. Let's hope Hogan turns out half as good as Welker was for a handful of years here.

how about BB built this offense to maximize what brady does best, the receivers were then acquired to match brady's skills. makes more sense then some convoluted wayne chrebet theory.

i hope hogan can just be a david givens kind of receiver that would be an awesome find if so, welker is too much to ask...

If you are talking about "recent" or modern NFL history then it's a pretty good question.

The dominance of black wide receivers is unquestioned in today's game with top-notch white guys like Julian Edelman representing a fairly unusual minority at that position.

If we're talking about the Pats, as far as I can determine, not that it matters worth a shit, the first year that black guys caught more balls than white dudes was 1973. That makes 14 seasons worth of guys like Jim Colclough, Ron Sellers, Jim Whalen, Bill Rademacher and the like before owners finally wised up and realized that black athletes are predominately better than white guys.

So, and I'm waiting for this next shoe to drop from some intrepid "journalist" out there in the world of fairness and equity, the Pats are totally racist and disrepectful of all the fine, black options out there in favor of obedient crackers who will toe the line drawn in the sand from the head Plantation manager the racist a-hole belichick.

Just so somebody doesn't misunderstand, the last thing I'm worried about is the Pats busting the new white quota stats at the WR position. It is what it is.

There's still a ways to go before the Pats stand out like the '86 Celtics with Bird, Mchale, Ainge, Walton, Wedman & Sichting.

how about BB built this offense to maximize what brady does best, the receivers were then acquired to match brady's skills. makes more sense then some convoluted wayne chrebet theory.

i hope hogan can just be a david givens kind of receiver that would be an awesome find if so, welker is too much to ask...

I feel like the reason our O line doesn't get Brady any time is because they are so used to his getting rid of the ball so quickly. Why bother getting the deep threat if they can't protect?

Maximizing Brady is an essential part of Belichick's offense just as maximizing any player is the job of any good coach. Interesting, don't you think, that the same agent for Wayne Chrebet brought a similarly skilled Hogan directly to BB with no indication of shopping him to any other team? Hogan was a nobody going by his production but BB, influenced by his previous experiences, recognized that he's a bigger-faster-stronger combination of Chrebet/Troy Brown/David Givens/WW/Edelman/DA. That's a direct lineage of similarly skilled receivers; I don't see anything convoluted about it. It was a perfect storm for Belichick. Then, suddenly to everyone's surprise, Belichick signs Hogan for more money than Edelman is being paid. That $4M/ paid to Hogan doesn't make sense unless BB projected his value to the Pats based on his own prior experiences with similar players...going back to Chrebet.

Moreover, I think there's truth in the article because the author, Zach Moore, is a personal friend of Art Weiss (agent for both Chrebet and Hogan) and likely has some backstory information. Coincidentally, the author is also currently writing a chapter about Belichick's cap philosophy for an upcoming book, "Capology", which he also references to explain why DAmendola continues to be in BB's plans for this year with a modest restructure.

I feel like the reason our O line doesn't get Brady any time is because they are so used to his getting rid of the ball so quickly. Why bother getting the deep threat if they can't protect?

Another reason Brady is the GOAT, he makes EVERYONE around him look better!

So, great and wise wide receiver experts, what do folks think about Nate Washington (since he just visited)? Not huge numbers, but seems solid and supposedly great locker room presence.

Maximizing Brady is an essential part of Belichick's offense just as maximizing any player is the job of any good coach. Interesting, don't you think, that the same agent for Wayne Chrebet brought a similarly skilled Hogan directly to BB with no indication of shopping him to any other team? Hogan was a nobody going by his production but BB, influenced by his previous experiences, recognized that he's a bigger-faster-stronger combination of Chrebet/Troy Brown/David Givens/WW/Edelman/DA. That's a direct lineage of similarly skilled receivers; I don't see anything convoluted about it. It was a perfect storm for Belichick. Then, suddenly to everyone's surprise, Belichick signs Hogan for more money than Edelman is being paid. That $4M/ paid to Hogan doesn't make sense unless BB projected his value to the Pats based on his own prior experiences with similar players...going back to Chrebet.

Moreover, I think there's truth in the article because the author, Zach Moore, is a personal friend of Art Weiss (agent for both Chrebet and Hogan) and likely has some backstory information. Coincidentally, the author is also currently writing a chapter about Belichick's cap philosophy for an upcoming book, "Capology", which he also references to explain why DAmendola continues to be in BB's plans for this year with a modest restructure.

any agent with half a clue would bring his barely hanging on in the pros client to NE to catch for brady...the guy has 78 total catches in 3 years he either proves it real quick or its career over despite his better than BOLDEN size/speed combination. look if the pats get a consistent 40 to 60 catches a year from hogan it will be a steal.

and of course DA is in the plans if he takes a pay cut, he has been a warrior for the pats when healthy, the only knocks against his is his pay/health ratio.

any agent with half a clue would bring his barely hanging on in the pros client to NE to catch for brady...the guy has 78 total catches in 3 years he either proves it real quick or its career over despite his better than BOLDEN size/speed combination. look if the pats get a consistent 40 to 60 catches a year from hogan it will be a steal.

and of course DA is in the plans if he takes a pay cut, he has been a warrior for the pats when healthy, the only knocks against his is his pay/health ratio.

It is against the CBA to make a player take a pay cut two seasons in a row. Danny took one last year so he will not take one this year. And his production IMO has been fine for his salary which is really not all that high anymore given what top flight receivers are getting. The shame of it is that Julian makes less than him.

It is against the CBA to make a player take a pay cut two seasons in a row. Danny took one last year so he will not take one this year. And his production IMO has been fine for his salary which is really not all that high anymore given what top flight receivers are getting. The shame of it is that Julian makes less than him.

sorry modest restructure per Chevs article...

any agent with half a clue would bring his barely hanging on in the pros client to NE to catch for brady...the guy has 78 total catches in 3 years
I think harping every post on 78 catches in three years as the main criterion for downplaying the Hogan signing missing the point. Hogan (and every player BB signs) isn't being paid for what he did in the past. It's for what BB thinks he can do in the future with the Patriots.

Past production is part of the evaluation, sure, but what is more important: the number of balls thrown at a guy, or how many balls a guy catches of those thrown his way.

Using past production as the main criterion, Mark Sanchez is a far better backup than Jimmy Garappolo. Just sayin'

look if the pats get a consistent 40 to 60 catches a year from hogan it will be a steal.
if he plays well it will be a steal. If Amendola and Edelman both get hurt Hogan could play like crap and still get 60 catches a year before being cut at the end of the year.

I understand wait-and-see, I just don't understand the negativity surrounding this signing.

if he plays well it will be a steal. If Amendola and Edelman both get hurt Hogan could play like crap and still get 60 catches a year before being cut at the end of the year.

I understand wait-and-see, I just don't understand the negativity surrounding this signing.

not negative on the signing, just negative on the at times over the top expectations, the guy is at this point in his career is just a jag, this is his chance to prove it. no more no less

trying to associate him in any way with bolden, or welker, or attributing his signing to some wayne chrebet theory is just nuts, despite what some agent and his press toady are trying to shovel

not negative on the signing, just negative on the at times over the top expectations, the guy is at this point in his career is just a jag, this is his chance to prove it. no more no less

trying to associate him in any way with bolden, or welker, or attributing his signing to some wayne chrebet theory is just nuts, despite what some agent and his press toady are trying to shovel

BB signed Hogan for more than Edelman is making.
Is BB trying to shovel Hogan, too? Think about that for a minute or two.

BB signed Hogan for more than Edelman is making.
Is BB trying to shovel Hogan, too? Think about that for a minute or two.

it probably has nothing to do with over inflated fa prices this year...right

and for the record are you saying he is better than edelman?

Dumb-ass question. No he isn't. I'm not authorized to speak for him, so I'll tender him my apology in advance. Oops. Sorry, Bro. :coffee:

...trying to associate him in any way with bolden, or welker, or attributing his signing to some wayne chrebet theory is just nuts...
Sorry I missed your election to be High Expectation Sheriff, but you are sucking in your historical connections. When Welker first signed with the Pats the feelings were quite similar. Some thought Welker wasn't worth trading for and his past work wasn't a great validation. And others were jacked and pumped for the possibilities he could bring to the team. Welker's best days were after he became a Patriot.
But you just keep working hard at toning down anyone thinking BB may have made an excellent pick-up. I'm sure your actions are good for something.

Prices have gone up, no doubt about that but I think BB was looking for a certain skill set that Hogan offers.

And, no, I don't think Hogan is better than Edelman but that was never my point. That BB chose Hogan's skill set for a specific reason was always my point.

Btw, there was no comparison made to Boldin except for size, speed and athleticism.

I don't care if you agree with Zach Moore or not but I don't understand your negativity to his article. Let's agree to disagree, shall we?

Back