Patriots trivia

bideau said:
Was kirjtc2 referring to the '93 season finale against Miami? If that's the case, then I seem to recall it was Kevin Turner in OT, but my memory is fading on that.

Schaeffer, Sullivan and Foxboro Stadium.

Name all the owners of the Pats.

President William H. Sullivan, Victor K. Kiam II, James B. Orthwein ,
Robert K. Kraft.

Which 2 Patriots were elected to the NFL's all-1980's team?

BTW: glad this topic is becoming popular

BionicPatriot said:
President William H. Sullivan, Victor K. Kiam II, James B. Orthwein ,
Robert K. Kraft.

Which 2 Patriots were elected to the NFL's all-1980's team?

BTW: glad this topic is becoming popular

John Hannah and Michael Haynes.

Name as many sets of brothers that played for the Pats as you can - 100 PP points per set. Extra bonus if you can name brothers who played simultaneously.

Hawg73 said:
John Hannah and Michael Haynes.

Name as many sets of brothers that played for the Pats as you can - 100 PP points per set. Extra bonus if you can name brothers who played simultaneously.

Clarence and Robert Weathers (simultaneous) are the only pair I can think of.

Steve1 said:

BTW, was it Timpson who caught the 1993 pass? Turner did have a big td in that game too, though (in regulation?)

Question: Who were the 2 placekickers for the 1995 Patriots?

Yup, Timpson it was.

I think the placekickers were Vinatieri and Matt Barr...

JPK

Ballbustah said:
Someone once told me the Pats played at the Manning Bowl in Lynn one time.

I believe, if my memory serves me right, they played a pre season game, I think against the Giants, at the manning Bowl and, again with my faded memory, I was there..i think.

They also played a game at the Yale Bowl in New Haven, CT that I attended. That stadium really sucks.

Here's a few trivia questions.

What was the name of the Patriots that lasted for about two weeks between the time they were the Boston Patriots and the new England Patriots?

What is "Babe" Parilli's real first name?

What is the significance of the name "Phil Bissell" in Patriot's history?

1n 1959 the patriots were awarded the 8th, and final, franchise in the AFL, scheduled to begin play in 1960. They were awarded the franchise when another city decided not to go into the AFL and wanted to wait for an NFL franchise instead, What city was that?

Three current NFL teams have their origin roots in Boston. 1: the Patriots. 2: The Redskins. Name the 3rd current NFL franchise that began in Boston?

MORE LATER

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL

PATRIOTSSG.gif

bideau said:
Clarence and Robert Weathers (simultaneous) are the only pair I can think of.

Correct and a bonus so 250 more points go into Bideau's kitty.

Another pair were D'Juan and Je'Rod Cherry.

We had a DE back in the 80's named Brent Williams who was a decent player and I could swear he had a brother on the team, but with a name like Williams....I couldn't figure out who it might have been.

Nem mentioned Charlie Hannah, but I dont recall he was ever on the Pats although I remember him on both Tampa and Oakland.

I don't believe Darren Flutie ever played for the Pats although I could be wrong.

Hawg73 said:
Correct and a bonus so 250 more points go into Bideau's kitty.

Another pair were D'Juan and Je'Rod Cherry.

We had a DE back in the 80's named Brent Williams who was a decent player and I could swear he had a brother on the team, but with a name like Williams....I couldn't figure out who it might have been.

Nem mentioned Charlie Hannah, but I dont recall he was ever on the Pats although I remember him on both Tampa and Oakland.

I don't believe Darren Flutie ever played for the Pats although I could be wrong.

I have a football card with the Hannah brothers on it. I will check on whether Charlie did a short stint with the Pats, or not. It was just a guess, on my part.

I think I remember there being some Williams bro on the team. I can't remember the other name but it does sound familiar.

NEM said:
I believe, if my memory serves me right, they played a pre season game, I think against the Giants, at the manning Bowl and, again with my faded memory, I was there..i think.

They also played a game at the Yale Bowl in New Haven, CT that I attended. That stadium really sucks.

Wasn't the game at the Yale Bowl a home game for the Jets?

What was the name of the Patriots that lasted for about two weeks between the time they were the Boston Patriots and the new England Patriots?

The Sullivans had settled on the Bay State Patriots, but quickly realized that people would have a field day with the BS Patriots.

What is the significance of the name "Phil Bissell" in Patriot's history?

Didn't he design Pat Patriot?

Have no idea of the others. Great trivia questions.

bideau said:
Wasn't the game at the Yale Bowl a home game for the Jets?

The Sullivans had settled on the Bay State Patriots, but quickly realized that people would have a field day with the BS Patriots.

Didn't he design Pat Patriot?

Have no idea of the others. Great trivia questions.

Those answers are correct.

Here is a hint on the other two answers.

One of the Teams is an NFC team and is still in contention for a playoff spot.

The other team is an AFC team and has already clinched a playoff spot.

What is "Babe" Parilli's real first name? Vito

1n 1959 the patriots were awarded the 8th, and final, franchise in the AFL, scheduled to begin play in 1960. They were awarded the franchise when another city decided not to go into the AFL and wanted to wait for an NFL franchise instead, What city was that? Minneapolis

Three current NFL teams have their origin roots in Boston. 1: the Patriots. 2: The Redskins. Name the 3rd current NFL franchise that began in Boston? Boston Yanks to NY Bulldogs to NY Yanks to Dallas Texans to Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis Colts

What did the Pats get in return from the Miami Dolphins for Nick Buoniconti?

SamBam39 said:
What did the Pats get in return from the Miami Dolphins for Nick Buoniconti?

They got a draft pick (can't remember which round) along with lefty stiff QB Kim Hammond and crazed linebacker Johnny "Bull" Bramlett whose specialty was knocking himself out with his vicious hits.

The scary thing was I didn't have to look this up. :thailor:

The Pats once had the first pick in the draft and were informed by the consensus number one choice that he didn't want to come play for the Pats.

Who was that guy and what did the Pats do with the choice?

Hawg73 said:
They got a draft pick (can't remember which round) along with lefty stiff QB Kim Hammond and crazed linebacker Johnny "Bull" Bramlett whose specialty was knocking himself out with his vicious hits.

The scary thing was I didn't have to look this up. :thailor:

The Pats once had the first pick in the draft and were informed by the consensus number one choice that he didn't want to come play for the Pats.

Who was that guy and what did the Pats do with the choice?

Again, I am not sure of the answer, but somehow Phil Olsen comes to my mind. Merlin's little brother.

NEM said:
Again, I am not sure of the answer, but somehow Phil Olsen comes to my mind. Merlin's little brother.

Now that you mention it, the question might have been a little unclear. Phootball Phil did not want to play for the Pats, but that was not the number one overall choice and he was not the guy I was referring to.

The situation I described was for the number one overall choice and occured within the last fifteen years. It involved a trade with a team that we played earlier this year that has a star on their helmet and the player involved played for a large midwestern university that had a rough season this year.

Hopefully those hints will help.

Hawg73 said:
Now that you mention it, the question might have been a little unclear. Phootball Phil did not want to play for the Pats, but that was not the number one overall choice and he was not the guy I was referring to.

The situation I described was for the number one overall choice and occured within the last fifteen years. It involved a trade with a team that we played earlier this year that has a star on their helmet and the player involved played for a large midwestern university that had a rough season this year.

Hopefully those hints will help.

Geez, you're awful stingy with the hints, arent you? :D

NEM said:
Geez, you're awful stingy with the hints, arent you? :D

Ok, Ok, I thought this would be fairly easy but maybe it isn't.

In 1990 Notre Dame's Raghib "Rocket" Ismail was considered the top pick in the draft and wrote the Pats to say he would rather play in Canada than come to Foxboro.

The Pats then traded the top pick to Dallas for the 11th (Pat Harlow) and 41st (Jerome Henderson) picks.

As a sidenote Ismail signed with Toronto anyhow and the 'Boys ended up drafting Russell Maryland instead and then tried telling everybody that they wanted him all along, but we knew better.

Ok, something a little easier.

Chuck Fairbanks had a great staff of assistant coaches when he was here and many went on to successful stints as head coaches. Name two of them (there are more).

Hawg73 said:
Ok, Ok, I thought this would be fairly easy but maybe it isn't.

In 1990 Notre Dame's Raghib "Rocket" Ismail was considered the top pick in the draft and wrote the Pats to say he would rather play in Canada than come to Foxboro.

The Pats then traded the top pick to Dallas for the 11th (Pat Harlow) and 41st (Jerome Henderson) picks.

As a sidenote Ismail signed with Toronto anyhow and the 'Boys ended up drafting Russell Maryland instead and then tried telling everybody that they wanted him all along, but we knew better.

Ok, something a little easier.

Chuck Fairbanks had a great staff of assistant coaches when he was here and many went on to successful stints as head coaches. Name two of them (there are more).

Red Miller and Ray Perkins.

Name 3 players the Pats picked with the overall #1 pick (there are more than 3).

bideau said:

BUZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Red Miller - Yes!

Ray Perkins? where was he a head coach and could you call that a successful stint? Maybe you're right.

I was thinking about another guy whose named was Parcells or something like that. ;)

I believe that Marty Schottenheimer was also part of that staff and could argue that Ron Erhardt had some success as a head coach (also some rocky times)

That has to be the most talented group of assistants ever assembled.

I'll pass on your question to let other people give it a try. Good question though.

bideau said:

Name 3 players the Pats picked with the overall #1 pick (there are more than 3).

Jim Plunkett
Irving Fryar
Keith Sims
Drew Bledsoe

This is not exactly a Patriots question, but:

What local team earned the NFL Championship in 1928?

Back