Patriots trivia

Hawg73 said:
BUZZZZZZZZZ!!!

Red Miller - Yes!

Ray Perkins? where was he a head coach and could you call that a successful stint? Maybe you're right.

I was thinking about another guy whose named was Parcells or something like that. ;)

I believe that Marty Schottenheimer was also part of that staff and could argue that Ron Erhardt had some success as a head coach (also some rocky times)

That has to be the most talented group of assistants ever assembled.

I'll pass on your question to let other people give it a try. Good question though.

Perkins coached the Giants and, I think, the Falcons. Successful? Well, just so-so.

Parcells coached under Earhardt. I don't think he was ever with Fairbanks. I thought of Earhardt. Didn't Hank Bullough (sp?) go to Buffalo?

SamBam39 said:
1n 1959 the patriots were awarded the 8th, and final, franchise in the AFL, scheduled to begin play in 1960. They were awarded the franchise when another city decided not to go into the AFL and wanted to wait for an NFL franchise instead, What city was that? Minneapolis

Three current NFL teams have their origin roots in Boston. 1: the Patriots. 2: The Redskins. Name the 3rd current NFL franchise that began in Boston? Boston Yanks to NY Bulldogs to NY Yanks to Dallas Texans to Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis Colts

Good job, those are EXACTLY the correct answers.

Now, what do the names Gerhardt Schwedes and Ron Burton have in common?

And...Who is the only Patriot's head coach to be fired in MID SEASON while having a winning record at the time of his firing?

NEM said:
Now, what do the names Gerhardt Schwedes and Ron Burton have in common?

And...Who is the only Patriot's head coach to be fired in MID SEASON while having a winning record at the time of his firing?

Burton was the Pats first draft pick. Schwedes was their first territorial pick.

As for your second question, I'm not sure. Lou Saban was fired 5 games into the '61 season. The Pats were 2-3 at the time (but finished 9-4-1 under Mike Holovack).

Fairbanks was suspended before the final regular season game in '78, but was reinstated for the playoffs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my trivia question:

In 1969, Bob Gladieux was attending a Pats' game, sitting in the stands with a friend.

Meanwhile, in the locker room a Patriots player was getting his ankles taped prior to the game, when Billy Sullivan approached him. Sullivan held a contract in his hands, and demanded that the player sign it. He refused, and Sullivan fired him on the spot.

While his friend was under the stands buying hot dogs, Gladieux heard the stadium announcer requesting him to report to the Patriots locker room. He ran down to find that he would be filling in for the fired player.

Not hearing the announcement, Gladieux's friend returned to his seat, and wondered what had happened to his buddy. It wasn't until the opening kickoff, when he heard the stadium announcer say "Tackle made by Gladieux" that he realized where he was.

Gladieux later said that he had been drinking heavily before the game, and barfed his guts out on the sidelines after making the tackle on the opening kickoff.

Trivia question: Who was the player that was fired by Sullivan while he was getting his ankles taped?

NEM said:

Ron Meyer, who was fired in '84 with a 5-3 record. Meyer had fired defensive coordinator Rod Rust after a poor defensive showing against Marino and the Dolphins. Rust was very popular with the players. Sullivan stepped in, fired Meyer, rehired Rust and brought in Raymond Berry as the head coach.

I decided to wake up the trivia thread for a draft day question.

A few years back Bobby Grier whiffed badly on a particular draft that included 5 total bust selections who had the same first and last initial (for crying out loud, there were 26 letters in the alphabet the last time I looked. What are the odds of something like this happening?)

For 175 Planet points name the year of the draft in question and the names of the five alliterative picks.

What former Pats player has?
1) Played for an AFL Champion
2) Worked in the real estate industry for a period of a few years
3) Won a NFL Coach of the Year award

It's gotta be Marty Schottenheimer, who also holds the title of longest last name in Patriots team history. I'm pretty sure he was with the Bills when they won an AFL title back in the 60's.

If this is correct then I'll pose another:

Who was the 1st Pats QB to throw for 400 yards in a game?

EDIT: #54 beat me by a minute. I'll leave this reply up in case anybody wants to take a crack at my question.

Hawg73 said:
It's gotta be Marty Schottenheimer, who also holds the title of longest last name in Patriots team history. I'm pretty sure he was with the Bills when they won an AFL title back in the 60's.

If this is correct then I'll pose another:

Who was the 1st Pats QB to throw for 400 yards in a game?

EDIT: #54 beat me by a minute. I'll leave this reply up in case anybody wants to take a crack at my question.

:doh: I forgot to post a question. If I'd remembered it, you'd probably have beaten me, so why not use your question. :D

Dingdingding. We have a lucky winner.

It was the Babe who threw for over 400 yards in a 1964 game.

Got a stumper for the faithful?

Who blocked the Jets FG attempt to preserve the tie, allowing the Pats to win in OT, in Tuna Bowl 1 ?

Mike Jones blocked the potentially game-winning kick by John Hall in Tuna Bowl I. After Keyshawn Johnson's game-tying TD from Neil O'Donnell, Derek Cullors fumbled the ensuing kickoff at the Pats 17 with only 16 seconds remaining on the game clock. The Pats would go on to win in OT on a Vinatieri FG, with Curtis Martin grabbing a game ball for amassing 199 yards on the ground.

Martin would be playing with the Jets the next season and New England would go on to lose 7 of the next 8 to New York, including 4 of the remaining 5 "Tuna Bowls". Yes, the Carroll years were good times! :shake:

Next:

Name a former Patriots WR who was also drafted by the Red Sox.

greg mcmurtry - out of beockton ma and U of michigan 3rd round Psats - 1st round sox

please anyone feel free to post a trivia if I am correct

Wandering Athol said:
Which Patriots alumnus has the most career NFL receiving yards?

I believe Henry Ellard had a cup of coffee with the Pats late in his career.

Is that right?

Yes indeed, Ellard, fifth in all-time NFL receiving yards, played a bit part for New England in 1998.

Back