Patriots, with the 23rd pick, Select...

Pape

Reaction score
Pick #23 ...

got some good talent with the 23rd pick in the past ... what do you all think some some of the biggest needs to fill via the draft?

Defensive Line? Guy and Shelton are ok... but ok isnt good enough these days... the D couldn't stop the run to save their lives... first priority for the draft imo

DBs? got some depth here... might need a safety...

O Line ... we have a few red shirts who didnt play this year ... still, building line depth in the draft is never a bad thing...

QB? who the eff knows what TB12 is going to do, still if Stidham isn't the answer, that needs to be ironed out right quick ...

TE? Depends on free agency im thinking ... draft was stocked last year and BB was disinclined to pick anyone up...

thoughts?

I'd be trading up and getting a QB because even if Brady doesn't move on we know time is short. If Stidham is the future thats fine but you need the next guy and I'd go ahead and burn my 1st for one if there's one worthy.

I'd be trading up and getting a QB because even if Brady doesn't move on we know time is short. If Stidham is the future thats fine but you need the next guy and I'd go ahead and burn my 1st for one if there's one worthy.

Not next year...the year after that.

The Pats are not trading up for a QB. Thats just not something they do. If Brady leaves or retires, they will roll with Stidham, and maybe draft a guy on the second day. There are way too many needs to on this to throw all the picks at a Qb who has never played in the NFL, because he is not going to start next year no matter what happens. Stidham has been here a couple years, he has been in the practices and the system, he knows the plays.

So much depends on if Brady stays. If he does stay, he'll need far better weapons than he had this year which means every FA WR and TE is fair game for discussion. It's no use to draft either position bc a rookie receiver will be no use to Brady at all, so I'm strictly looking at FA starters here.

We desperately need help in the trenches over what we had this year. On D, BB has to decide if he wants to go 3-4 or 4-3 and move forward based on that. Dietrich Wise is a pretty good 4-3 DE but he was a weak link in the 3-4. BB must decide & commit to it then fill positions with players who won't be blown out by the Titans (or Ravens) OL.

On offense the C position and possibly LG have to be addressed if Thuney wants too much $. I think RT Cannon may be cut or traded for a cheaper and better rookie. The jury is still out on Wynn in my mind. 1st and goal from the 1 should have been an easy TD for any NFL OL. We could have 4 new starters along the OL next year.

That's where I start.

Then I look to improve the RB position. Michel has regressed and Burkhead isn't a lead back. He's not a change of pace back either for that matter but he can be a complement. I'd look for every opportunity to improve the RB position in FA & then on day 2 or 3 in the draft. White is safe in my mind.

Then I address the LB position with a serious look back at every LB's performance this year with an eye towards improvements. More speed is needed imo.

Then Safety.

Lots to be done starting with self assessment & replacing coaches & FO personnel - it's a big mountain - before Free Agency begins. BB will have this extra month to get prepared over what he had last year.

What happened to Harris? Is he viable?

What happened to Harris? Is he viable?

I assume you mean Harry. He's still viable but only when lined up inside the numbers and given another year to develop. I've said that all along even though Josh McD was determined to line him up outside on too many plays. Wasted. He doesn't have the speed for that.

I assume you mean Harry. He's still viable but only when lined up inside the numbers and given another year to develop. I've said that all along even though Josh McD was determined to line him up outside on too many plays. Wasted. He doesn't have the speed for that.

I believe he meant Damien Harris, basically red shirted this year.

So much depends on if Brady stays. If he does stay, he'll need far better weapons than he had this year which means every FA WR and TE is fair game for discussion. It's no use to draft either position bc a rookie receiver will be no use to Brady at all, so I'm strictly looking at FA starters here.

We desperately need help in the trenches over what we had this year. On D, BB has to decide if he wants to go 3-4 or 4-3 and move forward based on that. Dietrich Wise is a pretty good 4-3 DE but he was a weak link in the 3-4. BB must decide & commit to it then fill positions with players who won't be blown out by the Titans (or Ravens) OL.

On offense the C position and possibly LG have to be addressed if Thuney wants too much $. I think RT Cannon may be cut or traded for a cheaper and better rookie. The jury is still out on Wynn in my mind. 1st and goal from the 1 should have been an easy TD for any NFL OL. We could have 4 new starters along the OL next year.

That's where I start.

Then I look to improve the RB position. Michel has regressed and Burkhead isn't a lead back. He's not a change of pace back either for that matter but he can be a complement. I'd look for every opportunity to improve the RB position in FA & then on day 2 or 3 in the draft. White is safe in my mind.

Then I address the LB position with a serious look back at every LB's performance this year with an eye towards improvements. More speed is needed imo.

Then Safety.

Lots to be done starting with self assessment & replacing coaches & FO personnel - it's a big mountain - before Free Agency begins. BB will have this extra month to get prepared over what he had last year.
the good thing a center is a late round pick often, but they ne oline help at RT, LG and Swing tackle because Wynn has shown he cant go 16, nevermind 19!

I'm hoping Harris was a redshirted and sat in pass protection class this year and will be ready to be unleashed after Michel is traded this offseason.

my 1st two spots, after best available player, would be WR and TE with a fatty in the middle to free up the LB's next

Yes I meant Damien Harris. He wasn’t bad at Alabama. Anything to give Sony some competition. Personally I think Harry’s ceiling is something like Sanu’s best year, and it’ll probably take him 2 more years to get there. Waste of a first round pick. But hey what’s one more?

I could see them possibly going O Line in the first ... but ...

we have two rookies from the 2019 draft who didnt play a down in the regular season, Yodny Cajuste and Hjalte Froholdt ... i know zero about either of them ... i think froholdt played in preseason, but i didn't track him, so question marks for both of them... could they be good? or are they just camp bodies for year 2?

I really would like to see them address the defensive line ... it became a real liability when they faced good backs ... got shredded multiple times...

I guess the draft will move towards areas the team wasn't able to address in free agency, like always.

Chaisson from LSU would be my dream pick followed by Weaver from Boise. McKinney, the safety from Alabama, would be a solid replacement for McCourty, too.

The Pats are not trading up for a QB. Thats just not something they do. If Brady leaves or retires, they will roll with Stidham, and maybe draft a guy on the second day. There are way too many needs to on this to throw all the picks at a Qb who has never played in the NFL, because he is not going to start next year no matter what happens. Stidham has been here a couple years, he has been in the practices and the system, he knows the plays.

This was Stidham's rookie year.

I could see them possibly going O Line in the first ... but ...

we have two rookies from the 2019 draft who didnt play a down in the regular season, Yodny Cajuste and Hjalte Froholdt ... i know zero about either of them ... i think froholdt played in preseason, but i didn't track him, so question marks for both of them... could they be good? or are they just camp bodies for year 2?

I really would like to see them address the defensive line ... it became a real liability when they faced good backs ... got shredded multiple times...

I guess the draft will move towards areas the team wasn't able to address in free agency, like always.

Hawg has been all in on Cajuste. He had season ending surgery prior to training camp, so hopefully he's ready to go in July and we see what he can offer.

Back