Pats claim Floyd off waivers

I wondered as did many others I would guess if they would take a shot at him.
However I can't find anything to confirm this.

Mike Reiss

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The Arizona Cardinals waived wide receiver Michael Floyd on Wednesday, sparking a question closer to home: Should the New England Patriots consider claiming him?

Floyd was a first-round draft choice of the Cardinals in 2012 (the 13th pick overall) and has some unique traits. He's 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, runs well, and can make plays in the deep part of the field. Inconsistency and shaky hands are arguably the biggest negative surrounding his game, while it's also notable that Arizona released him after a DUI arrest.

Here's a look at both sides of the Patriots' possible interest:

YES

The team is thin at receiver after the top three options of Julian Edelman, Chris Hogan and Malcolm Mitchell.

With Danny Amendola injured, the team signed Griff Whalen last week as the No. 4 option. While Whalen is more of an inside receiver and Floyd more of an outside target, Floyd could be an upgrade.

If Floyd could quickly become a factor, it might ease concerns of using Edelman on punt returns in place of the struggling Cyrus Jones.

Floyd has a background in a Patriots-type system from having played under Charlie Weis at Notre Dame, so there's some good intel on him as a player and how he might fit.

Players like Floyd don't usually become available at this time of year, so he's an asset. He'd also count as part of the compensatory pick formula if he signs elsewhere after the season.

NO

To claim him on waivers, it's an expensive rental for three games -- $1.2 million. Considering it might take him three games just to get up to speed and potentially be a factor in the playoffs, is that worth it? The dynamics would change from a team perspective if Floyd clears waivers and is willing to sign a cheaper deal.

The Patriots have a good thing going at receiver, and this could potentially interfere with that, specifically with rookie Malcolm Mitchell.

The DUI and Arizona's decision to release him warrants a closer look at whether he'd be a good fit.

It appears the Patriots have no rhyme or reason on the position they take on drinking and driving unlike the position they take on domestic violence. They cut Brandon Spikes yet they give this guy a look.

Not that I care really...just an observation.

I like this signing a lot. He's a big (6'2", 220) possession receiver who can get first downs consistently. He adds depth to the slot and X positions which is valuable going in to the POs with Hogan's back being temperamental lately and Amendola iffy at best.

Over the last 4 years with Palmer throwing him the ball, he's had 242 receptions and a crazy 176 have been for 1st downs. That's an unbelievable stat folks. He's only 27 years old, too. BB is the BEST! GM in the league, hands down.

Get your duck boat reservations now.

It appears the Patriots have no rhyme or reason on the position they take on drinking and driving unlike the position they take on domestic violence. They cut Brandon Spikes yet they give this guy a look.

Not that I care really...just an observation.

Most of the NFL players are POS...in all seriousness. But, I see your point though.

Michael Floyd, recently released Cardinal after a DUI arrest.

I had a client come in and needed to chat. sorry I didn't clarify earlier

I also read he is looking for top money in his next contract.

Well, he has the perfect opportunity to make a case for himself now, but if he does, it seems doubtful the Pats will pay him.

I haven't talked to Mike about this yet but I disagree with him that this signing will slow the development of Mitchell.
1. It will take at least 3 games for Floyd to learn the new nomenclature and option routes just to get the basics. Mitchell will play more than Floyd during this time.
2. Hogan and Mitchell will be able to bring Floyd up to speed quickly but Brady already trusts both H & M. We'll be in the POs before Floyd becomes an every down player. In the meanwhile he will see spot action and serve as depth for both H & M.
3. Floyd will be able to share his knowledge with both H & M. That has to be a positive.

This signing allows Josh to spread the field with 4 & 5 wide receivers who are all a serious threat to the defense.

Fantastic news. :toast:

Well, he has the perfect opportunity to make a case for himself now, but if he does, it seems doubtful the Pats will pay him.
short term lease and he shows he can handle strict Bill after loosy goosy Arians

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Grif cut to make room

How much is a SB win worth?

So what if he's a rental. BB did it with Revis and he was far more than $1.5M.

I haven't talked to Mike about this yet but I disagree with him that this signing will slow the development of Mitchell.
1. It will take at least 3 games for Floyd to learn the new nomenclature and option routes just to get the basics. Mitchell will play more than Floyd during this time.
2. Hogan and Mitchell will be able to bring Floyd up to speed quickly but Brady already trusts both H & M. We'll be in the POs before Floyd becomes an every down player. In the meanwhile he will see spot action and serve as depth for both H & M.
3. Floyd will be able to share his knowledge with both H & M. That has to be a positive.

This signing allows Josh to spread the field with 4 & 5 wide receivers who are all a serious threat to the defense.

Fantastic news. :toast:

should have added
4. Floyd won't supplant H or M but he'll complement them and rotate with them especially when a 1st down is needed. 73% of his catches resulted in a 1st down over his career.

Back