Pats Injury Thread

You have been the one touting Lewis as THE guy to both pass catch and run between the tackles. Now he is gone for 2/3 of the season and no big whoop? He is NOT a dime dozen type of back especially in our offense. White was not close to him last year and we suffered in the post-season because of it.

Again, no.

I've just been telling you that's the position Lewis plays, while folks right you think you're going to pull a cryogenically-unfrozen Corey Dillon from somewhere. Because a) Borderline Hall of Famers grow on trees and b) The ground game today is JUST as important as it was 12 years ago, isn't it?

Dion Lewis is a really good player, and the offense is better when he's in there than when he isn't. But that offense fell apart when Edelman went out, and Amendola had to play hurt. They won a Super Bowl two years ago with Shane Vereen and Blount some of the time. They can win without Corey Dillon's clone, easily.

This offense is fine in the regular season no matter what guys we have out there but it comes back to bite us in the post-season. I am hopefully that perhaps one of these other backs pans out. But losing Lewis is huge. I am not sure how that can be argued against but it appears I am in the minority.

It's a shitty loss, but it's not a season-breaking one, and he will come back at some point.

Running backs on this team need to block. Outside of that, anything they give you is gravy. The type of back you describe and whine about in every other post doesn't exist on this team, and is exceedingly rare in the league. Football has advanced well past 'run the ball, and stop the run' these days.

You have been the one touting Lewis as THE guy to both pass catch and run between the tackles. Now he is gone for 2/3 of the season and no big whoop? He is NOT a dime dozen type of back especially in our offense. White was not close to him last year and we suffered in the post-season because of it.

This offense is fine in the regular season no matter what guys we have out there but it comes back to bite us in the post-season. I am hopefully that perhaps one of these other backs pans out. But losing Lewis is huge. I am not sure how that can be argued against but it appears I am in the minority.
First, PUP isn't 2/3 the season. Second, this is getting sillier than when Lawyer Milloy was cut and people predicted 0-16.

He's a friggin' RB. We went to the AFCCG without him last year and he wasn't the reason we lost, unless he wore both #3 and #91 unis and missed the PAT and let a JAG TE score 2 TDs.

First, PUP isn't 2/3 the season. Second, this is getting sillier than when Lawyer Milloy was cut and people predicted 0-16.

He's a friggin' RB. We went to the AFCCG without him last year and he wasn't the reason we lost, unless he wore both #3 and #91 unis and missed the PAT and let a JAG TE score 2 TDs.

A perfect defensive gameplan & buzz saw pass rush. That hit brady all game long.

I think you could see Vollmer coming. Great player. Great pick.

You never really know what these deal with as people. What injuries they really have. I suspect most injuries you hear of during the season , certain players will deal with those for the entire career and sometimes life.

Losing him hurts much more than Lewis. I have too say I never thought he'd start and actually think this is a legit blessing in disguise. Look I'm not a genius but I'm not brand new. Sometimes you can spot a guy who will always be injured. Hamstring, Knee etc.

Lewis might be one of those guys. I'd rather have him during the 2nd half of our run. And I feel the same about Edelman, in terms of keeping him out for a few games. Nothing good happens when you rush back.

I've never been a fan of White but hes had a decent camp and is a solid rec threat. He deserves his spot. I still think Foster would be great fit if he can stay healthy.

White is a good pass catching runningback. Once he catches the ball in space, he shows good vision and the ability to set up his blockers. Lacks break away speed though and can get caught from behind. I don't see him as a big downgrade from Lewis on passing downs. But he's not a threat as an inside runner. He's not on the same level as Kevin Faulk, Dion Lewis or even Shane Vereen in that regard.

White is a good pass catching runningback. Once he catches the ball in space, he shows good vision and the ability to set up his blockers. Lacks break away speed though and can get caught from behind. I don't see him as a big downgrade from Lewis on passing downs. But he's not a threat as an inside runner. He's not on the same level as Kevin Faulk, Dion Lewis or even Shane Vereen in that regard.

White's fine for what he is. I never want to see him actually taking a handoff though.

Rich Hribar ‏<s>@</s>LordReebs <small class="time">https://twitter.com/LordReebs/status/767409412629757952 </small> James White was basically Theo Riddick with a higher weekly ceiling last year.

CqZiyclWYAEO_Ry.jpg

Titans have a surplus of good RBs: DeMarco Murray, Derrick Henry, Dexter McCluster, David Cobb, Antonio Andrews and Bishop Shankey.

KC has Jamaal Charles, Charcandrick West, Spencer West, Kniles Davis and Darren Reeves.

At least 3 of these RBs will be on another team when cutdowns come.

Andy owes BB for the retired CB now a Chief. Now it may make sense to looks at the Chiefs' OTs.

Chiefs' Reserve OTs. I see a trade coming...

Curtis Feigt, ROT
OT #62
Height:6-6 Weight:310 Age:26
College:West Virginia
Hometown: Mercersburg, PA
Experience: 2

Feigt_Curtis.jpg

Jah Reid, LOT

Height:6-7
Weight:325
College:Central Florida
Experience:6

JahReid.jpg

Also Reid Fragel, Ohio St., 6'8", 308
http://www.chiefs.com/team/roster/Reid-Fragel/6c912999-602b-437d-9b1d-c7f32a27c0bf

Cannon was being forced to play in a manner that was not good for his body size. He was being forced to lean too far forward. This season he is no longer being told to do that and it has made a ton of difference. He is playing very well.

Interesting. Sounds like some pretty bad coaching.

Do you have some inside info ???

Reports are that he will miss 10 games. EDIT: It is 10 weeks so my bad. He could be on PUP and return week 7.

If we had him last year I believe we beat Denver and possibly win the SB. Shane Vereen was a HUGE part of our Super Bowl win over the Hawks. Pass catching RBs are important to this team and he was not just an average player, he was a difference maker.

I posted this in the Looking at the Pats thread but it looks like it needs to be posted here as well.

The sky hasn't fallen.
Lewis can stay on PUP and reasonably be ready by wk 6-9.
Vollmer, ditto.
Mason could go on IR-DTR and also be ready by wk 6 OR, more likely imo, he won't go on IR-DTR and be ready between wks 3-6.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> The regular season PUP list allows players to return after week 6, with an additional six week window to start practicing (the day after the end of week 11, per the new PUP rules). Once players start practicing they have another three weeks before the team has to activate them to the roster. This means that both Lewis and Vollmer could return at any point between week 6 and week 15.
Now Lewis is currently slated to return in 8-10 weeks due to his surgery, which puts him right in line with the early window of the PUP list. He could still play for the final ten games of the regular season.
Vollmer, on the other hand, has an unknown timetable- but the team doesn’t have to put him on the injured reserve, like it was originally reported. Unless Vollmer has a surgery that absolutely has a six month recovery window, the Patriots would be wise to keep him on the PUP list so he has a chance to return in December after four months of rest.
Mason is not on the PUP list so he follows different rules. The Patriots could place him on the injured reserve (IR) until he is healthy, and then designate him as the short-term IR player after six weeks. He would return in line with Lewis and those on the PUP list.

Alternatively, we have no idea what the recovery schedule is for a “broken hand.” It could be three weeks. It could be three months. If the hand injury is minor enough, then the Patriots don’t have to put Mason on any sort of reserve list and he can just be a game-day inactive for the first couple weeks of the season and be ready to roll by the time QB Tom Brady returns from his suspension in week 5.
But whether the team takes advantage of the PUP list (Lewis, Vollmer, along with WR Danny Amendola and RG Tre Jackson), or the short-term IR (Mason), there is still hope that all of these players could be back for the back-half of the season and for the playoff push. </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/8/22/...la-pup-reserve

Again, no.

I've just been telling you that's the position Lewis plays, while folks right you think you're going to pull a cryogenically-unfrozen Corey Dillon from somewhere. Because a) Borderline Hall of Famers grow on trees and b) The ground game today is JUST as important as it was 12 years ago, isn't it?
a) HoF RB? I just want someone other than a JAG.
b) Correction - it is not important to the Pats. Denver focused on the run game last year and won the SB, Seattle was dominant run team and won, the Ravens, the Steelers, KC, Jets. Heck, even GB with Rodgers has try to focus on the run but made a terrible choice in Lacy but they took him high to try and get a stud.

a) HoF RB? I just want someone other than a JAG.
b) Correction - it is not important to the Pats. Denver focused on the run game last year and won the SB, Seattle was dominant run team and won, the Ravens, the Steelers, KC, Jets. Heck, even GB with Rodgers has try to focus on the run but made a terrible choice in Lacy but they took him high to try and get a stud.

The Patriots' OL isn't built for run blocking the way the Ravens, Steelers, KC, Seahawks and the Jets' OLs are. Ground and pound isn't in the Pats' vocabulary. BB's offense is built around the passing game. BB wants RBs who can catch and even Blount can do that and I've heard he'll do more of it this year than ever before.

The Patriots' OL isn't built for run blocking the way the Ravens, Steelers, KC, Seahawks and the Jets' OLs are. Ground and pound isn't in the Pats' vocabulary. BB's offense is built around the passing game. BB wants RBs who can catch and even Blount can do that and I've heard he'll do more of it this year than ever before.

I am not advocating for a complete offensive change. We do have RBs. We do run the ball regardless of our Oline. Just spend a little and go get a quality back with Brady being 39. Do what GB did and go try to get a stud. A Ridley who does not fumble even.

Having our receivers be our run game has not served as well as the injuries mount from the pounding they take and the Oline would much rather move forward and run block vs peddling backwards to pass block all the time. Would save wear and tear on them as well.

I am not advocating for a complete offensive change. We do have RBs. We do run the ball regardless of our Oline. Just spend a little and go get a quality back with Brady being 39. Do what GB did and go try to get a stud. A Ridley who does not fumble even.

Having our receivers be our run game has not served as well as the injuries mount from the pounding they take and the Oline would much rather move forward and run block vs peddling backwards to pass block all the time. Would save wear and tear on them as well.

Solder, Andrews, Stork and Kline are not great drive/run blockers. It would require retooling our starting OL. When Cannon was drafted I thought it may have been an effort towards that with Cannon as an OG but no Cannon became an OT. I don't see that kind of offensive change happening with our current zone blocking OL. Therefore a stud RB would be a waste imo. Zone blocking requires RBs with quick feet and good vision to recognize and make the correct cut back to the open alley.

From Miguel

The deadline to cut down to 75 active players is Tuesday, 4PM August 30th.
* The deadline to cut down to 53 active players is Saturday, 4PM September 3rd. Saturday, 4PM September 3rd is also the deadline to have a player on Active PUP (Dion Lewis, Sebastian Vollmer, Tre Jackson, and Danny Amemdola). By then the Patriots will have to do one of the following with the four players
1.) Move them to Reserve PUP
2.) Place them on the 53-man active roster
3.) Place them on IR
4.) Waive/release them
5.) Trade them
6.) Placed them on the Reserve -Non-Football Injury list
* “At any time after six regular season weeks have elapsed since a player was placed on Reserve/Injured or Reserve/Non-Football Injury/Illness, each club is permitted to designate one player for return from either list to the club’s 53-player Active/Inactive List. The player who is “Designated For Return” must have suffered a major football-related or non-football-related injury after reporting to training camp and must have been placed on the applicable Reserve List after 400 p.m., New York time, on the day after the final roster reduction (September 4th). A player whom the club wishes to designate for return is permitted to return to practice for a period not to exceed 21 days. The club is required to notify the League office that the player has been “Designated For Return” on the first day the player begins to practice. The player cannot be returned to the Active/Inactive List until eight regular season weeks have elapsed since the date he was placed on Reserve.”
- See more at: http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/...-training-camp-thoughts/#sthash.i0FuGl7R.dpuf

Solder, Andrews, Stork and Kline are not great drive/run blockers. It would require retooling our starting OL. When Cannon was drafted I thought it may have been an effort towards that with Cannon as an OG but no Cannon became an OT. I don't see that kind of offensive change happening with our current zone blocking OL. Therefore a stud RB would be a waste imo. Zone blocking requires RBs with quick feet and good vision to recognize and make the correct cut back to the open alley.

I get what you are saying but a quality back can make do with a less than stellar line. We are not talking about morphing into a zone run offense just get a back that can make something happen where there is a hole or create something when nothing is there like Ridley did.

Lewis may still be back before the playoffs. But watching Gaffney thus far has shown a depth that was not there last season. Also if D.J. Foster's hamstring continues to heal (He has been out on the practice field doing conditioning and working with coaching staff) he may be a good fill in for Lewis when rotated in with White.

Maybe BB should kick the tires on an OT free agent? Not much out there tho........Eugene Monroe? Chris Long? Will Beatty?

Back