Pats Injury Thread

Interesting. Sounds like some pretty bad coaching.

Do you have some inside info ???
From http://insidethepylon.com/

Inside The Pylon noticed that Guge asks his offensive tackles to play with a narrower stance than what Scarnecchia asked, and also had the players operate with their weight leaning forward. While this technique sometimes works with shorter tackles to help engage with pass rushers, it throws taller linemen (like Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer) off balance and leaves them susceptible to change-of-direction rushes.

It was a common occurrence to see the Patriots tackles overreaching to engage with a defender and it's because their stance prevented them from sliding to remain in front of the defender; in order to slide, the tackles would have to lean backwards and get high in their stance, opening them up to bull rushes and inside moves.

The rest of the offensive line suffered from similar issues as they rose in their stances prior to engaging with the defender. While the Patriots did a good job blocking against stunts, they really struggled to win their one-on-one battles.

Maybe BB should kick the tires on an OT free agent? Not much out there tho........Eugene Monroe? JAKE Long? Will Beatty?

fyp

From http://insidethepylon.com/

Inside The Pylon noticed that Guge asks his offensive tackles to play with a narrower stance than what Scarnecchia asked, and also had the players operate with their weight leaning forward. While this technique sometimes works with shorter tackles to help engage with pass rushers, it throws taller linemen (like Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer) off balance and leaves them susceptible to change-of-direction rushes.

It was a common occurrence to see the Patriots tackles overreaching to engage with a defender and it's because their stance prevented them from sliding to remain in front of the defender; in order to slide, the tackles would have to lean backwards and get high in their stance, opening them up to bull rushes and inside moves.

The rest of the offensive line suffered from similar issues as they rose in their stances prior to engaging with the defender. While the Patriots did a good job blocking against stunts, they really struggled to win their one-on-one battles.

Good to know. I can see how tall and top heavy linemen (Cannon) would have great difficulty with speed rushes if their weight is going forward as the defender is speeding around them (Von Miller for instance).

So glad DeGuglielmo is long gone.

Chiefs' Reserve OTs. I see a trade coming...

Curtis Feigt, ROT
OT #62
Height:6-6 Weight:310 Age:26
College:West Virginia
Hometown: Mercersburg, PA
Experience: 2

Feigt_Curtis.jpg

Jah Reid, LOT

Height:6-7
Weight:325
College:Central Florida
Experience:6

JahReid.jpg

Also Reid Fragel, Ohio St., 6'8", 308
http://www.chiefs.com/team/roster/Reid-Fragel/6c912999-602b-437d-9b1d-c7f32a27c0bf

May already be half done? :shrug:

Cheers

Cannon was being forced to play in a manner that was not good for his body size. He was being forced to lean too far forward. This season he is no longer being told to do that and it has made a ton of difference. He is playing very well.
Last year in the playoffs, it didn't even look like he knew who he was supposed to block, much less how. If he could just force the guy in front of him, to at least take the time to knock him over, before running by him, it would be a big improvement.

:banghead:

Stats lie. No one focuses on the run. A great running back gets you nowhere unless he has a great QB, and a great QB can win games without a great running back.

Stats show that teams who run and stop the run win. BS. When a team is winning, they run the ball more to use the clock. When a team is losing, they run less (you win by passing not running) and by stats it looks like the other team stopped the run, but the low run yardage total is reflective of the other teams low # or runs, not the effectiveness of their run game.

It is exactly backwards. It's not you win because you run, it's you run because your winning.

Just look at every team's average yards per run attempt and average yards per pass attempt.

All you need out of play action is for the LBs not to drop into coverage by stay home in the box. In a slow, stiff, non-cutting, no-vision running back like BJGE can make play action effective, anyone can.

Last year in the playoffs, it didn't even look like he knew who he was supposed to block, much less how. If he could just force the guy in front of him, to at least take the time to knock him over, before running by him, it would be a big improvement.

:banghead:
Am I the only guy who thinks that Cannon played okay in the first two preseason games? I know he sucked last year, but didn't we all hope that Scar would change things? Haven't they changed?

Cannon's not perfect - every good DE is going to get pressure once in a while - with he isn't Max Lane 2.0 either.

Am I the only guy who thinks that Cannon played okay in the first two preseason games? I know he sucked last year, but didn't we all hope that Scar would change things? Haven't they changed?

Cannon's not perfect - every good DE is going to get pressure once in a while - with he isn't Max Lane 2.0 either.

No. I thought he showed improvement but still can improve more.

Here's a film review of Kline's performance vs the Bears that shows he played better than I initially thought.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/8/22...-kline-be-the-weak-link-on-the-offensive-line

At least Max Lane knew who he was supposed to block. He was just severely over matched (and frankly, humiliated), when it was Reggie White.

:shake:

You have been the one touting Lewis as THE guy to both pass catch and run between the tackles. Now he is gone for 2/3 of the season and no big whoop? He is NOT a dime dozen type of back especially in our offense. White was not close to him last year and we suffered in the post-season because of it.

This offense is fine in the regular season no matter what guys we have out there but it comes back to bite us in the post-season. I am hopefully that perhaps one of these other backs pans out. But losing Lewis is huge. I am not sure how that can be argued against but it appears I am in the minority.

One thing to remember, is that Lewis had a healthy OL for much of the time he played, but White was playing behind the M*A*S*H unit.

How much of a difference did that make?

:shrug_n:

I'm sure it made some, and leave it to the X's&O's savants to enlighten the masses.

I guess I need to read more before spouting off about something I know very little about. Could it be they are trying to motivate him? :shrug_n:

Hard for me to believe that Denver trades/cuts Hillman for any reason because his production was so good last season.

I still think he is behind all of the backs on NE (maybe not Iosefa) due to his having to come in late and learn the playbook.

Hillman (hopefully) comes back and bites Denver in the arse if he's let go.

He did play okay in the first two preseason games. I would imagine it is the regime change from Gags (not a spelling error) to Scar. Here's to hoping he can steadily improve, even though I don't have too much confidence. I hope he proves me dreadfully wrong.

I just hope we make the playoffs for once.

Oh wait, that was early 80's me.

Losing Volmer sux. If Scar can even make him OK he should get assistant coach of the year (if there is such a thing).

I feel like Louis might be a blessing in disguise of he's healthy and in shape for the playoffs.

I don't hate our RB situation. White as 3rd down, Blount/Gaffney/Bolden otherwise, it's not the best in the league but it's fine for our offense.

He did play okay in the first two preseason games. I would imagine it is the regime change from Gags (not a spelling error) to Scar. Here's to hoping he can steadily improve, even though I don't have too much confidence. I hope he proves me dreadfully wrong.

I'm not discounting the impact Scar can have, I agree that he will definitely help Cannon. But if you're comparing his play so far in preseason to 2015, I think health may play a role as well.

He hurt his toe in our 5th game and I'm not sure how much that impacted his ability to plant his affected foot.

Didn't they try shifting him to the other side so he wouldn't have to put as much pressure on that foot? That would indicate that he had some issues due to the injury.

As I said in my previous post, he was effective in 2013 in relief, and I simply don't recall how much he played in 2014.

I do recall they tried him at Guard, and that didn't work, but I thought he was the backup swing tackle in '14, I just don't remember how much he played or how effective he was.

Good article at Pats Pulpit regarding White's ability as a RB.

Not sure if the videos will embed.

Film Review: Patriots RB James White is much, much more than a 3rd down back

By Rich Hill  @PP_Rich_Hill on Aug 23, 2016, 6:49a 17

Head coach Bill Belichick has been singing his praises. White has been an every-down back this preseason

ew England Patriots running back James White is expected to become a larger part of the Patriots offense now that Dion Lewis is expected to miss the first 8-10 weeks of the season.

White played well enough in Lewis’ place in 2015, although Lewis is clearly the superior ball carrier. White also didn’t have the luxury of playing with Julian Edelman and a healthy Rob Gronkowski, Danny Amendola, and offensive line which allowed opposing defenses to key in on White in the backfield.

According to head coach Bill Belichick, White has spent the offseason trying to improve as a runner in order to increase his value on the field.

“[White is] very dependable, very consistent,” Belichick said in Monday’s press conference. “I think he has worked on his role in the running game carrying the ball, which he did a lot of in college. He hasn't done a lot of it here. He was mainly a passing game player last year and didn't play two years ago in his rookie year. [He was] mainly a passing game player last year but he has taken a more active role in the running game this year, so I think he continues to develop.

And it’s true. I watched and charted all of White’s 29 snaps this preseason and I think there’s reason to believe that his role is going to grow in 2016.

White played 16 snaps against the Saints and 13 against the Bears and had 5 carries- all against the Saints (two came on two-point conversion attempts).

One thing I noticed about White is that he does a good job of following his blockers, but there’s only such much he can do if the blockers don’t do their jobs. He’s not like LeGarrette Blount, who can brute force his way through a defender to pick up a couple yards.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PeriodicFilthyLamprey-mobile.mp4

In this play, you can see White is trying to follow the pulling guard Josh Kline.

Tight end Martellus Bennett doesn’t get a clean block on the edge and gets pushed back into Kline. As a result, Kline isn’t able to get a clean block of his own on the linebacker and White starts to bounce further to the outside. But wide receiver Aaron Dobson expected White to be on the inside, so when White bounces further outside the defensive back had a clear line towards the ball carrier.

This play only picks up three yards because Bennett isn’t able to win his battle on the edge. White still finds a way to dodge a defender and fall forward for the three yard gain.

White’s quickness is very apparent when he’s on the field. It doesn’t look as shifty and fluid as Dion Lewis’ because White runs more upright, but it’s there. White’s job is to transfer that open field ability into success between the tackles.

When asked about the difference in “elusiveness” in the open field and in between the tackles, Belichick said, “if that's the type of runner you are then it is the same skill. It's just that you have less space, generally.”

“It's still reading blocks,” Belichick continued, “setting blocks up, and then being able to accelerate either with speed or some combination of speed and or power to break arm tackles and get through the line of scrimmage.”

And on the very next play, White showed his elusiveness between the tackles.

ImmenseFrequentHoki-mobile.mp4

You can see White planting his feet and driving between left guard Joe Thuney and center David Andrews. Right guard Josh Kline does a nice job getting to the second level and buying White some time in the open field.

White gains roughly six extra yards in the middle of the field by chopping his feet through the line of scrimmage and then lowering his shoulder into the linebacker. It’s a great run and it shows his potential.

And if White can be just a mediocre runner, then his value will skyrocket because he’s already extremely proficient as a receiver and a blocker.

“I think the thing that jumped out with [White] was how proficient he was in the passing game based on what we saw in college, and I think his run skills were good,” Belichick said. “I think they [his running skills] are good. I think they need some refinement. It's a little bit different in this league. I think he can run the ball in there and he has taken more reps at doing that and I think that has helped him.”[/I]

White ran routes on roughly 20 of his 29 plays and ran 10 of those plays after offering help as a chip blocker on the edge. He stayed in for blitz pick-up on 4 snaps. The majority of his routes were just into the flat, but he threw in the occasional wheel route, crosser, corner, post, and screen.

His ability as a receiver in the screen game was on display against the Bears.

DopeyWildEeve-mobile.mp4

White should’ve been tackled five yards behind the line of scrimmage, but he somehow manages to turn it into a 14-yard gain. Left guard Joe Thuney and wide receivers Chris Harper and Chris Hogan offered some excellent blocks in the open field and White did the rest with his quickness and change of direction ability.

But what will get White on the field even more is his fearlessness in pass protection.

ImperturbablePastelBoar-mobile.mp4

AlarmedYawningGartersnake-mobile.mp4

White was a key player in the two minute drill and he deserves to be considered more than just a third down player. He played 9 snaps on first down, 7 on second down, 8 on third down, and 2 on fourth down. He played in an extra three two point conversions, including the last image you see above.

White is growing as a runner and is already an accomplished blocker and receiver. This should be his best year in the NFL.

Back