Pats Looking To Trade For A Big WR?

Brandon LaFell ran a 4.54 at the combine.

I'm pretty sure they won the Super Bowl last year.

I'll never understand the fascination for the "top-off-the-defense" guy. I don't know about you, but I don't want Brady throwing deep, ever.

Yup. Even when guys are wide open his long ball scares the shit out of me lol

I don't believe this rumor one bit.

If BB identifies any good value player he thinks will help the team, including WR, he'll try to add that player.

But looking for a big bodied WR specifically? No, not with Gronk, LaFell, Dobson and Scott Chandler already on board. That's 26' and almost 1000lbs right there of big bodies.

Mike Reiss ‏<s>@</s>MikeReiss <small class="time"> 16m16 minutes ago </small> Via <s>@</s>ByTimGraham, <s>#</s>Patriots had called RB Fred Jackson within an hour after his release from Bills. http://es.pn/1ER2cBv

Thurs night vs Pittsburgh is a perfect opportunity for Dobson to show his stuff. As I've said before, his route running is significantly better than it was the previous 2 years. But, as you said, his juggling catches and I'll add his lack of ideal strength holding on to the ball after the catch give me some concern. I haven't even gotten to his propensity to hit the dirt/go down too easily. If Dobson doesn't get it done I expect to see more of Harper who hasn't gotten stage fright...yet.

I don't mind his Brandon Lloyd imitation.

Then again, I didn't mind Brandon Lloyd. :coffee:

The yips have to stop though. Same issue Thompkins had here.

That's not what I mean, I was saying that if we are relying on cadet as our deep threat stretch the field guy, then we are lacking in that area. Saying we are in trouble, was not the right words. Throwing deep or not, it really does not suck to have a guy that can stretch the field. Not just for Brady, but when Brady is gone. I guess maybe a guy that will fight for the ball, that play in preseason where Dobson had the ball taken away from him for a pick was pretty sad to watch.

Who did they have last year who could "stretch the field?"

You have a QB who is better (than anyone, ever) at the short-to-intermediate passing game. His strengths are accuracy, picking the right match-ups, and exploiting defenses' weak spots. Just look at the Super Bowl and what Brady did to the Seahawks' backup CB. He threw a couple of balls to guys covered by Sherman/Thomas/Chancellor, but for the most part he picked on the weak links, as any smart QB should.

With the way Brady runs the offense they can score quickly, too. There's really no reason to add a track star to the receiving corps. Just need guys who can get open and catch the ball.

You have a QB who is better (than anyone, ever) at the short-to-intermediate passing game. His strengths are accuracy, picking the right match-ups, and exploiting defenses' weak spots. Just look at the Super Bowl and what Brady did to the Seahawks' backup CB. He threw a couple of balls to guys covered by Sherman/Thomas/Chancellor, but for the most part he picked on the weak links, as any smart QB should.

With the way Brady runs the offense they can score quickly, too. There's really no reason to add a track star to the receiving corps. Just need guys who can get open and catch the ball, and stay healthy.

Fixed your post.

With the way Brady runs the offense they can score quickly, too. There's really no reason to add a track star to the receiving corps. Just need guys who can get open and catch the ball.

Thank you.

Get open.

Catch.

I don't care if you're 6'6" or 5'4", unless you do the aforementioned equally. Then I'd take the big.

They've won in the past without it but, ultimately, a field stretcher who at least THREATENS at catching the long ball will give Gronk, Edelman, and Amendola more room to operate. It's not a necessity but it'd make things easier if the opposing D at least has to vaguely worry about going deep.

They've won in the past without it but, ultimately, a field stretcher who at least THREATENS at catching the long ball will give Gronk, Edelman, and Amendola more room to operate. It's not a necessity but it'd make things easier if the opposing D at least has to vaguely worry about going deep.

Not really.

If they don't respect the QBs deep ball ability it's moot.

I think they did ok last year. :coffee:

Exactly. It forces the defense to have to cover the whole field. This reduces the likelihood of a smart defensive coordinator (like Rex) just packing it in, knowing they won't go deep.

Brandon LaFell ran a 4.54 at the combine.

I'm pretty sure they won the Super Bowl last year.

I'll never understand the fascination for the "top-off-the-defense" guy. I don't know about you, but I don't want Brady throwing deep, ever.

Boom, that. I've always been in the camp of "we don't have a QB who can throw it accurately deep down the field, so we don't necessarily need a deep threat", but the fact that we won a SB title against the Seattle defense with Edelman, Lafell, Amendola, Gronk...I think we're fine.

This WR argument is pretty dated, IMO.

Back