Reaction score
NE-WAS: 19
IND-NY: 14
SF-BAL: 15
CIN-KC: 16
SEA-DEN: 25
DAL-SD: 13
= 102 total penalties in 6 games.

They've got 4 weeks to clean this shit up. If the NFL continues to micromanage games to this extent, I may have to bow out. Last nights' matchups were truly unwatchable.

NE-WAS: 19
IND-NY: 14
SF-BAL: 15
CIN-KC: 16
SEA-DEN: 25
DAL-SD: 13
= 102 total penalties in 6 games.

They've got 4 weeks to clean this shit up. If the NFL continues to micromanage games to this extent, I may have to bow out. Last nights' matchups were truly unwatchable.

Wholeheartedly agree.

I noticed last season they let 'em play a lot more, and it was a welcome change. Too good to be true, I guess. We can only hope that they were instructed to be overbearing to make the point and that things will be a bit more reasonable once the season starts.

I noticed last season they let 'em play a lot more, and it was a welcome change. Too good to be true, I guess. We can only hope that they were instructed to be overbearing to make the point and that things will be a bit more reasonable once the season starts.

I thought last year's officiating (outside of a couple major flubs that got a lot of attention) was nearly perfect.

They managed the game, controlled the environment, but largely didn't intervene beyond that. This was especially true on the defensive side of the ball.

As you said, we can only hope...

But last night was bad. Really, really bad. When I saw "unwatchable", I literally mean "unwatchable". There were several times I nearly turned off the TV and left.

**EDIT**

Here are the penalty numbers from last year's first six preseason games (excluding the HOF game).

BAL-TB: 14
CIN-ATL: 10
STL-CLE: 13
WAS-TEN: 17
DEN-SF: 10
SEA-SD: 13
= 77 total penalties.

Certainly more than I was expecting, but nearly 1/4 less than what we saw last night.

Less concerned than I was before looking at those numbers, but I'm still not holding my breath. We shall see.

brian_mcintyre Brian McIntyre
Through 7 preseason games, 138 penalties called. 30 def. holding calls (11 declined) on players in back seven. 11 illegal contacts, 4 DPIs.

We had possibly the most absurd penalty ive ever seen in the jets colts game.

One of the Jets linemen (colon?) essentially tackled one of our defense players well after the play was over and a scrum ensued. Somehow one of the jets players lost or took his helmet off which ended up right next to the pile.

Sergio Brown calmly picks it up and tosses it out of the way. Not like an agressive way, the same way you'd toss a dirty sock into the laundry basket.

15 yards, jets first down. Nothing on Colon for attacking one of our players after the play is over.

I heard that the refs didn't throw any flags on the Niners last night during Gabbert's stint becuase they figured that actually having Gabbert on their roster was punishment enough.

I heard that the refs didn't throw any flags on the Niners last night during Gabbert's stint becuase they figured that actually having Gabbert on their roster was punishment enough.

After last night's outing, perhaps Mallet gets the same slack next week. :coffee:

Cheers

I keep telling people that with Roger running the show the game is slowly dying.

I still watch, because I am a football sicko and I probably will be until the last bloody bubble (of me or the game), but I'm close to the edge at times and have already backed off from it a little.

Having said that I am alarmed at the extent to which they will push the viewer's tolerance of non-football crap whether that be the refs, commercials, fantasy football BS, long games, terrible rules and "safety" that spoils the sport without really making anybody safe.

I once heard a joke about Pope John the point of which was if he had one more organ replaced then he's technically not the Pope anymore (since he'd had a bunch).

That's kind of how I view football in the Goodell era. I'm going to know it's time from me to quit watching when the game stops feeling like football.

I don't know how to tell anybody what that means. You just kind of know it when you see it and find something else to do.

Richardson actually showed signs of promise lol.

I was wondering what he had written on those pieces of cardboard he was holding up along the sidelines during the game. I never saw a clear shot, but I didn't think it was, "Hi, Mom!"

Interesting note in Chris Price's piece (WEEI) this morning:

While the Seahawks-Broncos game was bogged down by 25 penalties, ..... there were only three defensive holds and one illegal contact called, all of them against Denver.

They're falling into the baseball mindset, where refs like Hocculi actually believe they are part of the gate/ product attraction that fans want and pay to see.

I keep telling people that with Roger running the show the game is slowly dying.

I still watch, because I am a football sicko and I probably will be until the last bloody bubble (of me or the game), but I'm close to the edge at times and have already backed off from it a little.

Having said that I am alarmed at the extent to which they will push the viewer's tolerance of non-football crap whether that be the refs, commercials, fantasy football BS, long games, terrible rules and "safety" that spoils the sport without really making anybody safe.

I once heard a joke about Pope John the point of which was if he had one more organ replaced then he's technically not the Pope anymore (since he'd had a bunch).

That's kind of how I view football in the Goodell era. I'm going to know it's time from me to quit watching when the game stops feeling like football.

I don't know how to tell anybody what that means. You just kind of know it when you see it and find something else to do.

If safety was the #1 priority, they would do the following.

There would be rules about the condition of the field.

You could set up different standards for grass and turf, but there should be a minimum criteria so you minimize the odds of guys blowing out knees or ankles untouched making a cut.

You would mandate knee braces for linemen who have a higher chance of getting rolled up in the scrum.

You would fund development of improved padding and helmets, to reduce risk of injury or concussion and mandate their use.

You would have independent doctors, working for the union or league, who cared for players on the sideline and ruled if someone can return to play after a hit. Having the medical staff work for the team is not necessarily a conflict of interest, but it certainly can be.

You would increase the roster size and/or have a more flexible IR system to allow a team to sit a player who is dinged.

Back