Peyton Manning really should have accomplished more by now, yes?

Nice username, btw. Have you watched "Wristcutters: A Love Story" yet?

He's a great quarterback, yes. So was Marino.

At some point, he loses the luster of being 'the greatest QB' ever, with the 'greatest concept of offences', and the 'coach on the field' nomenclature.

I know we debate this relentlessly, but, now... He should've been able to beat the Jets singlehandledly had he been the man most like to think he is. He simply isn't.

IMO.

Genuinely. At some point does it become realistic where he becomes realized as a system/stat guy? He's really not that impressive against relative competition.

He's so beloved by the National Media, that point will never come. Cut that Meat. Let's go Insurance Adjusters, Let's go.

TomWaits is alive!!!!

Hope you're doing okay!

Oh and

Brady > Manning :coffee:

Just one ring and only two Super Bowl appearances is extremely disappointing for Colts fans (has to be). He looked old last night, but they should have won. The receiver who dropped the easy first down prior to the Vinatieri FG cost them big. He makes that catch, Indy is bleeding the clock and probably kicks the winning FG as time expires themselves.

I think Manning, in his early career, thought everything would come easily to him, and things did for a while and up to a point. Having Brady as his nemesis improved his game. After the Colts won the SB, Manning fell into his old beliefs; winning would again come easily. He believed he had the skills and the knowledge to continue to win. The loss of Dungy undermined Manning's success, as much as poor drafting and injuries. I believe it is foolish to expect a QB to shoulder as much responsibility as Manning does.

While he is undoubtedly a HOF QB, the past two years have shown he cannot overcome a declining organization. Last night's play calling was shocking at times. Sanchez practically handed it to the Colts, and they couldn't reach it. Both teams played flat and uninspired. Manning's play last night totally lacked a competitive edge.

I think Manning, in his early career, thought everything would come easily to him, and things did for a while and up to a point. Having Brady as his nemesis improved his game. After the Colts won the SB, Manning fell into his old beliefs; winning would again come easily. He believed he had the skills and the knowledge to continue to win. The loss of Dungy undermined Manning's success, as much as poor drafting and injuries. I believe it is foolish to expect a QB to shoulder as much responsibility as Manning does.

While he is undoubtedly a HOF QB, the past two years have shown he cannot overcome a declining organization. Last night's play calling was shocking at times. Sanchez practically handed it to the Colts, and they couldn't reach it. Both teams played flat and uninspired. Manning's play last night totally lacked a competitive edge.

I give a lot of credit to Manning for his ability even though I do so love to make fun of him when the Colts come up short in important games. This year especially Manning could have used Dungy's calming influence in dealing with injuries, wrong routes run by receivers and dropped passes. The new OC certainly didn't shine yesterday either. But to me the Colts have an even bigger problem.

Polian's philosophy of building a team that's top heavy in the skill positions on offense comes at the expense of the defense and overall team depth. It's ironic to me that this year the Colts are the least top heavy since Polian took over and yet with all the injuries the Colts' lack of depth finally comes back to bite them in the ass. With the 18 game season comes more injuries. Will Polian finally concede that BB's way of building a team with depth is the best way for long term success? That would take a monumental paradigm shift for someone with a huge ego like Polian's. But if it doesn't occur, Colts' fans will have to accept more of the same outcomes, imo.

I think Manning's accomplished quite a bit but the very first thread on Colts.com I just looked at tells me how sad it is over there.

They're writing threads defending Manning where the theme of them are "Rings don't matter, individual accomplishments matter". They've reserved themselves to the "Peyton is the best because of his stats argument this morning". ROFL

Peyton is great but it's just funny to see them after a loss worrying about Peyton's legacy. I think that's the only thing that matters to them at this point.

Cleat, that is one of the most annoying things...fanboi types in general regardless of team.
If you can praise you can critique.
If you want someone considered flawless you can worship, go to church.
Sometimes the player you love just has a suck game. Shouldn't the more you think of their skills the more that should lead to HIGHER expectations...not excuses?

For example, expecting Sanchize to lead that Colts team to the playoffs would have been laughable and not even in the stratosphere of possibility. But expecting Manning to do it isn't. If Sanchize did it it would be EPICALLY AMAZING. If Manning does it it is good but to be expected of him. If Sanchize had a bad playoff game again...meh..not surprising. Reverse true for Manning.
Why is it Manning always gets 100% credit for the playcalls except when they aren't good? The closest you get to a critique is surprisingly Marshall Faulk who will say things like "Man I am surprised Peyton stayed with the run/didn't change to a run there" or something like that.

Kind of like how Red Sox fans used to defend guys like Yaz.

Cleat, that is one of the most annoying things...fanboi types in general regardless of team.
If you can praise you can critique.
If you want someone considered flawless you can worship, go to church.
Sometimes the player you love just has a suck game. Shouldn't the more you think of their skills the more that should lead to HIGHER expectations...not excuses?

For example, expecting Sanchize to lead that Colts team to the playoffs would have been laughable and not even in the stratosphere of possibility. But expecting Manning to do it isn't. If Sanchize did it it would be EPICALLY AMAZING. If Manning does it it is good but to be expected of him. If Sanchize had a bad playoff game again...meh..not surprising. Reverse true for Manning.
Why is it Manning always gets 100% credit for the playcalls except when they aren't good? The closest you get to a critique is surprisingly Marshall Faulk who will say things like "Man I am surprised Peyton stayed with the run/didn't change to a run there" or something like that.

Yup, I agree 100%. When someone sucks, call them on it. I was hard on Brady at the beginning of the season but he was pedestrian at that point. I'm glad he's playing like he is now but he should be playing close to what he's playing.

The other thing that happens is when the Colts offense plays well, they praise Peyton for "calling his own plays" but when they lose, it's the rest of the team let him down. I watched that game pretty closely last night and whoever was making the play selection last night was horrible. The Colts gameplan was lame. If you're going to say Peyton calls his own plays, then you've got to say that he was horrible at the play selection. They can't have it both ways.

Manning's contract is still to be negotiated...might be interesting...

Colts

Polian's philosophy of building a team that's top heavy in the skill positions on offense comes at the expense of the defense and overall team depth. It's ironic to me that this year the Colts are the least top heavy since Polian took over and yet with all the injuries the Colts' lack of depth finally comes back to bite them in the ass. With the 18 game season comes more injuries. Will Polian finally concede that BB's way of building a team with depth is the best way for long term success? That would take a monumental paradigm shift for someone with a huge ego like Polian's. But if it doesn't occur, Colts' fans will have to accept more of the same outcomes, imo.

For a while, at least to my eyes, the Colts-Patriots rivalry seemed to be growing less as the two teams became more like each other in order to win. The Colts started building a real defense, even if it was more speed driven than power driven. The Patriots picked up Randy Moss and started playing a vertical passing game, putting up all sorts of crazy stats while falling short in the post season.

But it seems to me that the Colts are missing Tom Dungy. As the Patriots needed to reinvent themselves after a poor showing in 2009, the Colts need a similar reboot. What Belichick did in revamping the receiving corps and going from one of the oldest defenses to the youngest was amazing. With our draft choices available this year and another year of experience in the young defensive backfield and tight ends, we ought to be in great shape next year.

The Colts are an amazing organization. They have been hanging right with the Patriots since 2001 while other teams have peaked and faded. They have a challenge in front of them, though. I do think Belichick has the better approach, less emphasis speed, more on power, balance among all three phases of the game™, with depth more important than superstars at skill positions.

But I half expect the Colts to be looking for a few superstar receivers during the off season. We'll see.

Kind of like how Red Sox fans used to defend guys like Yaz.

Hell, people do it to Brady when he's playing like shit.

People can do what you want and I'm fine with that but personally, I see no need to give our offense or defense an artificial name, inflate players, defend them with bullshit, etc. I care about the laundry and being entertained. You aren't going to see me sit through a 1 - 15 season every Sunday to watch my team play shitty. It doesn't make sense no matter what they'll have you believe. Would you pay $12 to watch some shitty movie because you like the actor? Would you pay $100 dollars to eat at some crappy restaurant that serves lousy food because you like the hostess?

My point is that if you put out a better product, people will find it. If the product is crap, why pretend it's not?

The other thing that happens is when the Colts offense plays well, they praise Peyton for "calling his own plays" but when they lose, it's the rest of the team let him down. I watched that game pretty closely last night and whoever was making the play selection last night was horrible. The Colts gameplan was lame. If you're going to say Peyton calls his own plays, then you've got to say that he was horrible at the play selection. They can't have it both ways.

Exactly. The runs on 3rd and long worked at some points but you don't change to a run while the game is on the line. The one that was most confusing is why change to a WR screen during obvious man coverage on the outside? Lots of people accredit his greatness to his audibling and play calling, but it was all but impressive last night.

For "the greatest QB of all time", Manning really shouldn't be 9-10 in the playoffs. :shake:

Back