Peyton Wants to Keep Playing, Exploring Options

patfan64

Generally Aware
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25500685/report-peyton-manning-wants-to-keep-playing

It has been the default assumption for a while now that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning would ride off into the sunset and retire after Super Bowl 50. But a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter on Tuesday morning contradicts that line of thought.

Appearing on ESPN's Mike & Mike, Schefter was asked, essentially, when Peyton will announce his retirement. Schefter rejected the premise of the question, stating that Manning would like to keep playing. Here's a transcript of his full response:

He'd like to keep playing. In a perfect world, he'd like to keep playing. The question is who's going to give him an opportunity. And it's tough to identify that team right now that's willing to sign him to the deal that makes it worthwhile for him, that allows him to continue playing.

Does he want to go move to another city? Because I think everbody at this point accepts and understands that he's not going to be back in Denver. So the question is where does he go and play. It's not going to be the Houston Texans. It's probably not going to be the Los Angeles Rams. So you go find a team that would be willing to sign him.

Now, there are a couple of other opportunities he'll have: TV has expressed interest in him and my understanding is one network -- and there are many of them -- would like him to be a color analyst for games and could potentially put together a lucrative offer. I don't know that he wants to do that.

There are multiple teams that have already expressed interest in him in working in a front office capacity and position. Eventually, I think he winds up doing that. But it's not before he exhausts all options and I think he'd like to continue playing if given the choice. But right now, it's tough to see that choice identifying itself and stepping forward and having something out there that would be an obvious match for both sides.

Now, again, dominoes start falling. Moves start being made; one move begets another. All of a sudden, you didn't see Denver losing Brock Osweiler. 'Well how'd they lose Brock Osweiler?' And all of a sudden, 'Well maybe we should bring back Peyton Manning for one year.' So things happen that change the dynamic of the situation, but as we stand here today on March 1, with the deadline franchise tag being at 4 o'clock today, it's tough to find a match, as much as I think he would like to continue playing.

OK, so let's assume he actually does want to keep playing. The market, as Schefter said, would likely be extremely limited.

The Broncos are out, as are the Texans and Rams, per the report. We can also reasonably assume teams like the Patriots, Bengals, Steelers, Ravens, Chiefs, Chargers, Packers, Lions, Panthers, Falcons, Saints, Giants, Cowboys, and Cardinals, with their above-aberage (or significangly better) veteran signal-callers are out as well. Not only that, but the Colts, Jaguars, Titans, Raiders, Vikings, Buccaneers, Dolphins, Washington, and Seahawks are presumably out, given their commitment to young quarterbacks of the future (assuming Washington re-signs Kirk Cousins).

That basically leaves the Jets, Bills (depending on what happens with Tyrod Taylor), Browns, Eagles, Bears (if they decide they don't like Jay Cutler as much anymore), and 49ers as potential landing spots. And that list is probably overselling the actual market, because it's just a list of teams that don't have a surefire high-caliber QB that they're committed to. It's tough to assume they would all be jumping all over themselves at the chance to sign 2015's worst starting QB in the NFL, even if he used to be Peyton Manning.

Do things happen and dominoes fall? Sure. But given Peyton's age, injury history, and performance last season, as well as the fact that signing him means undergoing massive scheme changes (that will likely only last one year), it's tough to see a very big market materializing for him, if one materializes at all. Despite this report, it still seems that the more likely bet is that Manning calls it a career.

Somehow I am not surprised. Pey Pey* did not want to go out with the Broncos winning despite him. Plus there is sure to be a big pay day for him somewhere and we know he is ALL about the money.

Please let the Jets sign him.

No way he plays for the Jets or the Bills and have to face NWE twice a year and in cold weather.

~Dee~

Rams are probably his only shot. Would love to see both Seattle and Arizona throttle him twice next season.

OMG thank you for finding a story that supports what I said in the on the PM thread. I was speechless when I heard Schefter say that. W...T...A...F????

Dude you were done in the second half of 2014...how much more of a sample size do you NEED???

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Also, how much you wanna bet that this "delay" in announcing is Condon trying to find out who else may want him?

In fairness though, I don't blame Manninhgh for testing the waters if he wants to play. Make Denver cut him and eat the dead cap and then see what ops come up this off-season.

It is a shame though if he does come back as he has the best send off you could hope for given how awful he was all season. I know it probably burns him that the narrative is Denver won despite him but in the end he got to hold that Lombardi even if he did nothing to earn it.

In fairness though, I don't blame Manninhgh for testing the waters if he wants to play. Make Denver cut him and eat the dead cap and then see what ops come up this off-season.

It is a shame though if he does come back as he has the best send off you could hope for given how awful he was all season. I know it probably burns him that the narrative is Denver won despite him but in the end he got to hold that Lombardi even if he did nothing to earn it.

ManninHGH being ManninHGH

So let me get this straight, he is under contract for next season with the Broncos but announces that he is exploring options?

Seems like reverse tampering, to me.

WGAF? It won't matter what team he goes too, they aren't winning a Lombardi because of him. I'd love to see the Bills sign him but even Rex isn't that stupid.

Or is he?

Buffalo is far to windy.

And rainy. And snowing. And freezing. And too far from anywhere. And too close to Canada. And too likely to finish last in the division. And too un-frequented by media sack hangers.

Cheers

How can he "go" anywhere? He's under contract. Any team that expresses interest in him publicly is open to a hefty $1,000,000 fine and loss of a draft pick (if it's the Pats) or a $100,000 fine and a pat on the back at the next owners meeting (any of the 31.)

Sure, Pey-Pey*, sign with another team. One without Denver's defense. Then we can watch you stink it up again, and maybe those HGH allegations and the UT case can dog you if a real reporter emerges from your adoring media. Or maybe TMZ can dig. Go ahead, keep playing! :clap:

Sure, Pey-Pey*, sign with another team. One without Denver's defense. Then we can watch you stink it up again, and maybe those HGH allegations and the UT case can dog you if a real reporter emerges from your adoring media. Or maybe TMZ can dig. Go ahead, keep playing! :clap:

In all seriousness, he really does need to weigh the HGH stuff. If he retires it goes away at least in terms of a suspension but if he comes back then all bets are off.

In all seriousness, he really does need to weigh the HGH stuff. If he retires it goes away at least in terms of a suspension but if he comes back then all bets are off.

It's all a ruse to make the fence sitters say "well, he thought about coming back so that tells me he didn't fear the investigation". BS.

Back