playcalling 101 thread

Coolade

Reaction score
The chat today is either about the bills defense or Brady having an off day, or the receivers not being good enough. Or the offensive line causing rushed throws , etc etc.

Except on the first drive there was a good mix of plays , a great throw to white , and a jet sweep to Bolden. Touchdown.

So hello..? Where is the discussion about play calling?

Hey mcD , you ran a double pass against the jets , the jet sweep worked in this game. What are you calling.? Um it's not working and there seems no creativity in games where you need it the most. Ug. You are reminding me of super bowl 42. :facepalm: Comments?

Sorry. Too stupid to engage your massive intellect. ROFL

I would have given up on the run a lot sooner. It’s pretty clear it’s not working and the Bills defense isn’t the one to get it going on.

I was talking about a similar thing with someone earlier.

Scheme vs talent.

How much can scheme overcome a lack of talent in some areas and in reverse, how much does talent trump scheme?

Is our oline so bad that we can't cover it up with better schemes? Is our D so good that other teams can't scheme to beat it?

BB is the master at scheme. TB has been the master at talent and executing those schemes. So, back to your original thought, I do think that play calling (scheme) matters a lot. But at what point does inferior talent (see Line, offensive) negate better play calling.

I would have given up on the run a lot sooner. It’s pretty clear it’s not working and the Bills defense isn’t the one to get it going on.

I remember Brady going shotgun spread against the bills very early in games before. Very deliberate and dictates the coverage.

Whatever the scheme is , MCD has never been good at shifting during games it seems. This game it just kept getting worse .

I was talking about a similar thing with someone earlier.

Scheme vs talent.

How much can scheme overcome a lack of talent in some areas and in reverse, how much does talent trump scheme?

Is our oline so bad that we can't cover it up with better schemes? Is our D so good that other teams can't scheme to beat it?

BB is the master at scheme. TB has been the master at talent and executing those schemes. So, back to your original thought, I do think that play calling (scheme) matters a lot. But at what point does inferior talent (see Line, offensive) negate better play calling.

The oline issue is serious. It might dictate the protection necessary to run certain formations ... Or not. I would still expect to see more variety and creativity... IMO

Jakobi should have started instead of JE. Bring in JE when needed. Running delayed draws is always appreciated by me. Sometimes it is just not the offenses day.

People (mostly pats fans) seem to forget that other teams get paid too. A bad day to me is runners missing holes, Qb missing wide open receivers, Oline holding blocks for 3 seconds and still giving up a sack. Receivers running lazy routes and not getting open or dropping balls. None of that was really the case. I know its hard to say, but the bills played a great defensive game. Out receivers were blanketed. I remember Gordon on the cross route, other then that, not sure I can remember an open throw that was not contested or tackled immediately. They rolled safeties, they covered the middle, the were disciplined.

Face it, they played great. To be honest, its hard to say who had a bad game because Buffalo took most of it away. I also saw bad playcalling, but then, what could you do, sometimes a team brings it, and if you win those games, you did a good job. Hopefully one day pats fans can be happy with wins and not gripe for a week after a win because on this day the defense had to ball out vs a Qb that is as reckless as they come with his throws. I have heard time after time on this very page that this team starts slow, that they don't play well early on and then it gets turned up later. Well, the pats are 4-0, its ok.

People (mostly pats fans) seem to forget that other teams get paid too. A bad day to me is runners missing holes, Qb missing wide open receivers, Oline holding blocks for 3 seconds and still giving up a sack. Receivers running lazy routes and not getting open or dropping balls. None of that was really the case. I know its hard to say, but the bills played a great defensive game. Out receivers were blanketed. I remember Gordon on the cross route, other then that, not sure I can remember an open throw that was not contested or tackled immediately. They rolled safeties, they covered the middle, the were disciplined.

Face it, they played great. To be honest, its hard to say who had a bad game because Buffalo took most of it away. I also saw bad playcalling, but then, what could you do, sometimes a team brings it, and if you win those games, you did a good job. Hopefully one day pats fans can be happy with wins and not gripe for a week after a win because on this day the defense had to ball out vs a Qb that is as reckless as they come with his throws. I have heard time after time on this very page that this team starts slow, that they don't play well early on and then it gets turned up later. Well, the pats are 4-0, its ok.

Yup.. Its also ok to discuss the strategy going on in the games. You're right about the bills playing great. But they also played the jets as a comparison. And after all the film study, this is all they could do. It means they were outplayed but also what they tried didn't work. Next step is try something different next time. Cuz ya might need more points .:peace:

Yup.. Its also ok to discuss the strategy going on in the games. You're right about the bills playing great. But they also played the jets as a comparison. And after all the film study, this is all they could do. It means they were outplayed but also what they tried didn't work. Next step is try something different next time. Cuz ya might need more points .:peace:

How teams play each other changes week to week. You cannot say, hey the bills played the jets this way so they will play us like that. That is not how it works. You can see tendencies and such, but different teams play each other differently.

I remember Brady going shotgun spread against the bills very early in games before. Very deliberate and dictates the coverage.

Whatever the scheme is , MCD has never been good at shifting during games it seems. This game it just kept getting worse .

Your entire comment is ridiculous - what Brady ran in 2007 against the Bills has nothing to do with this year's team, and this year's opponent.

Bolded is just a flat-out lie. Super Bowl 53, 2nd-to-last Patriots offensive drive.

How teams play each other changes week to week. You cannot say, hey the bills played the jets this way so they will play us like that. That is not how it works. You can see tendencies and such, but different teams play each other differently.

Individual matchups can be compared plus jets almost beat them .

Games in the division are tough, but that game seemed like a bitched game plan on offense..

---------- Post added at 05:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 AM ----------

Your entire comment is ridiculous - what Brady ran in 2007 against the Bills has nothing to do with this year's team, and this year's opponent.

Bolded is just a flat-out lie. Super Bowl 53, 2nd-to-last Patriots offensive drive.

Same OC.:facepalm:

:huh:Another issue is running a play til they stop it.

During "do your job" MCD comments about play selection against Rams for winning TD. He goes .. "i knew they wanted to run that play again. ". Basically it was working . So they hand it off.

In this game he had 2 successful jet sweeps. Um... Keep running it? they were jamming up the middle. Quick strike to Gordon worked. Spread them out, right? :huh:

More jet sweeps , end arounds etc. Misdirection. OC 101

you all plays to your talent not to your offense and you are successful.

You force a run built team to pass and they have issues, same goes with a Pass built team. Luckily the Patriots attempt to try to be both and the play call will always be match-up based.

The OC may be fine, it may have to do more with the loss of Brown, Gronk, and Devlin than anything.
I also believe Toms mechanics are shit because of a lower leg injury and that is a bigger issue than play call.

you all plays to your talent not to your offense and you are successful.

You force a run built team to pass and they have issues, same goes with a Pass built team. Luckily the Patriots attempt to try to be both and the play call will always be match-up based.

The OC may be fine, it may have to do more with the loss of Brown, Gronk, and Devlin than anything.
I also believe Toms mechanics are shit because of a lower leg injury and that is a bigger issue than play call.

The only time playcalling is noticed is when its bad. I saw some bad playcalls, I saw some good ones. Why they didn't try to cross under the coverage I have no idea, buffalo was doing that with some success until their QB for some reason just flip it up 20 yards down field. The bad thing is, the stop routes they ran, a bill was right there, so curls were shit that game. The one real time they did some crossing it went for like 30 yards with Gordon. He hit while on a one on one with the coverage of a linebacker, only went back to it one more time and it was covered up. Brady at times looked like he was just trying to get it the hell out of his hands, not sure what he saw or the look, but a lot of pass plays were blown up even before the ball came out.

With that said, I think playcalling did play a part and did not look as though it was changed much, and the offense looked unprepared for what the bills had. To me that is a bit of coaching, but I could be wrong.

Back