playcalling 101 thread

With a weak O line you need quick developing plays. The Pats called way too many slow developing plays. Against better defenses they need to establish the quick dump and run plays until you can bunch the D in... then throw it down field. Play action only works if you have a running game.

you all plays to your talent not to your offense and you are successful.

You force a run built team to pass and they have issues, same goes with a Pass built team. Luckily the Patriots attempt to try to be both and the play call will always be match-up based.

The OC may be fine, it may have to do more with the loss of Brown, Gronk, and Devlin than anything.
I also believe Toms mechanics are shit because of a lower leg injury and that is a bigger issue than play call.

Ah yes... But they were replaced by other guys that are pretty good. Thing is you game plan with guys you have and practice all week in anticipation of how the defense will play you.

Question always has been with MCD is what do you do when game plan is failing? How much flexibility is there.. and how much in game creativity.? In super bowl against eagles 1 , Weis talked about throwing screens to Dillon that they never ran before. Hmmm...

Hey they won the game looking like that.. thats a function of what the situation was. Tight game. MCD and Brady baffled.

In game there are limits based on the situation . Gotta get better at using the ltalent of players that are there. Invent some new looks.

The only time playcalling is noticed is when its bad. I saw some bad playcalls, I saw some good ones. Why they didn't try to cross under the coverage I have no idea, buffalo was doing that with some success until their QB for some reason just flip it up 20 yards down field. The bad thing is, the stop routes they ran, a bill was right there, so curls were shit that game. The one real time they did some crossing it went for like 30 yards with Gordon. He hit while on a one on one with the coverage of a linebacker, only went back to it one more time and it was covered up. Brady at times looked like he was just trying to get it the hell out of his hands, not sure what he saw or the look, but a lot of pass plays were blown up even before the ball came out.

With that said, I think playcalling did play a part and did not look as though it was changed much, and the offense looked unprepared for what the bills had. To me that is a bit of coaching, but I could be wrong.

This you are describing is called a smelly offense. As in , they are sniffing you out since your predictibility is high with Bills.

Then what..? You can blame execution, but if they are reading MCDs mind, he needs to play a different move. IMO.

Same OC.:facepalm:

Same OC, but the only player on that offense from 2007 is Brady. There are 10 other guys out there, who were not there, then.

It's a different philosophy for different personnel. :facepalm:

Also, please address your lie about Josh McDaniels' inability to adjust during games. Can't wait for the non-answer. :coffee:

Same OC, but the only player on that offense from 2007 is Brady. There are 10 other guys out there, who were not there, then.

It's a different philosophy for different personnel. :facepalm:

Also, please address your lie about Josh McDaniels' inability to adjust during games. Can't wait for the non-answer. :coffee:

Hey it's a valid criticism to question game plan when a team with talent underperforms, as people are doing.

The adjustments are not apparent in this case. So the view from OC 101 perspective is to try the things that apparently weren't. Yes this is easier to say after the fact but I'm not collecting 5 million or so to do that in game.. in real time. It's not easy but you want the OC to do it.:peace::thumb:

Hey it's a valid criticism to question game plan when a team with talent underperforms, as people are doing.

The adjustments are not apparent in this case. So the view from OC 101 perspective is to try the things that apparently weren't. Yes this is easier to say after the fact but I'm not collecting 5 million or so to do that in game.. in real time. It's not easy but you want the OC to do it.:peace::thumb:

The adjustments in the Super Bowl weren't apparent?

Do you have a head injury?

The adjustments in the Super Bowl weren't apparent?

Do you have a head injury?

I was talking about last week. The super bowl nightmare was a long time ago and don't want to go over those details thanks. :peace::thumb:

I was talking about last week. The super bowl nightmare was a long time ago and don't want to go over those details thanks. :peace::thumb:

You said: "McD has never been good at shifting during games."

The Super Bowl was 5 games ago, and one of the most historic examples of "adjusting during games" in NFL history.

Your premise is a lie, and the audacity of you having that arrogance to start a playcalling 101 thread is completely laughable.

Because you don't seem to know anything about much of anything. Maybe watch a game once in a while, get a little knowledge. :coffee:

The Super Bowl was 5 games ago, and one of the most historic examples of "adjusting during games" in NFL history.

Your premise is a lie, and the audacity of you having that arrogance to start a playcalling 101 thread is completely laughable.

Because you don't seem to know anything about much of anything. Maybe watch a game once in a while, get a little knowledge. :coffee:

He thought Andrews was coming back any day now...cuz blood clots in the lung(s) aren't anything serious.

2007 season... actually 2008 SB...

Lots of people critique play calling .. what is your problem with that exactly? You can discuss the run pass ratio. 1st down success. Lots of stuff. You can back up from the individual plays and discuss attack modes or philosophy. Where and how are you attacking the defense?

Maybe look a little deeper at the game , get some of that.:thumb:

With a weak O line you need quick developing plays. The Pats called way too many slow developing plays. Against better defenses they need to establish the quick dump and run plays until you can bunch the D in... then throw it down field. Play action only works if you have a running game.

Right the running game is not the same (oline "weak"?), so is the play mix structure the same as last year when the running game was strong? Maybe the idea is to get enough film on plays whether they work or not. IDK. . It's a mystery and we can only speculate,. But that's what message boards are for... :blink::thumb:

did they win?

you seem to fail to see this is the OC experimenting with the offense to see what will be their strength after a self-scouting bye week. The team always adapts to what teh players do well after the bye, rarely prior as they need more tape of their own players to see strengths/weakness for the playoff run.

did they win?

you seem to fail to see this is the OC experimenting with the offense to see what will be their strength after a self-scouting bye week. The team always adapts to what teh players do well after the bye, rarely prior as they need more tape of their own players to see strengths/weakness for the playoff run.

David Andrews will be back any day now. If only McDaniels knew how to adjust in the meantime :coffee:

David Andrews will be back any day now. If only McDaniels knew how to adjust in the meantime :coffee:

That damned pansy, he should have taken some Tylenol and gotten his ass back out on the field.

That damned pansy, he should have taken some Tylenol and gotten his ass back out on the field.

Who knows if that would even help at this point.

Heard comment by Gasper how Brady has had the benefit of one system and one OC...

EXCEPT, the system and OC are new to everyone else coming here. This means it's a huge pain in the ass to get them up to speed. As we saw last week and hear in Brady comments.

In other words maybe the system blows if it's now being sniffed out better by the bills than your own receivers... :blink:

Who knows if that would even help at this point.

Heard comment by Gasper how Brady has had the benefit of one system and one OC...

EXCEPT, the system and OC are new to everyone else coming here. This means it's a huge pain in the ass to get them up to speed. As we saw last week and hear in Brady comments.

In other words maybe the system blows if it's now being sniffed out better by the bills than your own receivers... :blink:
Yup, the system that's given 13 consecutive top-5 offenses, blows.

You truly are a fucking moron. Amazing. By the way. It's one system and Three OC's. But why start inserting facts into your bullshit now? :coffee:

You do realize that the Bills’ OC is Brian Daboll who knows the Pats system as well as McDaniels? Don’t you think he’d pass along some of that knowledge to the defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do realize that the Bills’ OC is Brian Daboll who knows the Pats system as well as McDaniels? Don’t you think he’d pass along some of that knowledge to the defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes , it's just all part of the continual evolution. Pass heavy, run heavy , trick plays , we've seen a lot of different looks over the years. It's probably making the system more complicated and intimidating to young players in the process. Since it's working against the increased recognition by the defense.

Oh well , just want to see that this week. The younger players getting involved and a good distribution of the ball . So it doesn't look like a confused set of botched calls. :tmack:

Back