Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Somebody else (coaches don't count)

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oldbagfan

No touchy
Reaction score
So there were a few fairly major changes from our 2017 SB roster. Who will be missed the most from where we can judge in preseason?

ps - This pic makes me sick:

I was close to clicking Dion Lewis, but I think they can fill in the gaps. So I went Amendola.

I too was torn, but I think it has to be Amendola. He saved our bacon so many times after Edelman went down. Now that the squirrel should be back, maybe Dola can be expendable, but he had my allegiance by the end of the season as he proved himself time after amazing catch time. I think there are a couple of backs who can potentially take Lewis's place; plus I was always concerned about his durability. I do think we're gonna miss the big guy on the line as Solder was a soldier for sure. Last and least is Butler. If BB couldn't even count on him for the big game, I take it on faith that he won't be missed. We had too high expectations after the game saver against Seattle, but he never showed the same freakish talent last year. Maybe his head just got too fat for his helmet too fast.

:patriotlogo::patriotlogo:

So there were a few fairly major changes from our 2017 SB roster. Who will be missed the most from where we can judge in preseason?

ps - This pic makes me sick:

Also, don't worry too much. He'll be wearing that on the sidelines after week, like, 4 every week, I'm guessing. If the Dolphins start 0-3, that knee is going to become awfully sore. :coffee:

DA was below avg during the reg season but then exploded in the playoffs. DA will be hardest to replace in the locker room. Decker, and I'm not even a huge fan, should be able replace DA's production easily. 650 yds and 2 TDs

Solder was a solid LT but he wasn't that great. We all knew his faults. Solder signed a 4 yr/$62M deal with the Giants - they over paid but I'm glad for Solder. Trent Brown is a beast.
Last year, Butler wasn't the Butler we loved the previous 2 years. Did anyone notice the 50 yd bomb thrown by Brett Hundley to Davante Adams in the Packers-Titans game Friday night? Adams blew right past Butler who was left in the dust, easily 5 yards back. It was ugly. The Titans are already rethinking that 5 yr/$60M deal. Butler's weaknesses were hidden well by the Patriots by giving him help over the top when needed.

I loved what Dion Lewis could do - his quickness, damn. But there are plenty of alternatives to him on the team. White, Michel, Burkhead, Webb and Hill can do the job. Lewis signed a 4 yr/$20M deal with the Titans. Our skill players will continue to roll without him.

I was close to clicking Dion Lewis, but I think they can fill in the gaps. So I went Amendola.

I always saw Dion Lewis as a combination of Mercury Morris and Curtis Martin and then when Pats started using him as KRer, that put him in his overall own class. Lewis performance after his knee injury has been second to none. I know Webb's 1st preseason game showed some very raw good RB skills. However, Webb's development to get to current Dion Lewis level will require far beyond the 2018 season, and we shall see the stamina and durability factors.

Lastly, Gillislie absolutely did not measure up last year to replacing Blunt. Last season Blunt played almost every single game regular and post season for the Eagles and he ran ALL OVER the Pats last SB. I did not see too much from Gilleslie in last preseason game as well. I only see Burkhead as the constant RB , screen pass, etc. spark plug that the Pats O will really need. Burkhead's durability is the only question in my mind's eye but he is very versatile when running on all 8 cylinders. :coffee:

DA was below avg during the reg season but then exploded in the playoffs. DA will be hardest to replace in the locker room. Decker, and I'm not even a huge fan, should be able replace DA's production easily. 650 yds and 2 TDs

Yes, but when the playoffs roll around, Decker will be a huge unknown, unlike DA.

Yes, but when the playoffs roll around, Decker will be a huge unknown, unlike DA.

Ho do you know that?

Anyway. I think like most players in the past, they can all be replaced. Amendola made good catches, but if not him it was Mitchell if not him it was brown, if its not him, fill in the blank.

Anyway. I think like most players in the past, they can all be replaced. Amendola made good catches, but if not him it was Mitchell if not him it was brown, if its not him, fill in the blank.

The thing with Amendola, as you know, is clutch. Clutch sometimes gets loosely tossed around, but Danny has been flat out clutch in the biggest of moments. It's probably a whole lot easier to replace catches than it is to replace clutch. The question is who will you miss, and I'll miss Danny.

Cheers, BostonTim

The thing with Amendola, as you know, is clutch. Clutch sometimes gets loosely tossed around, but Danny has been flat out clutch in the biggest of moments. It's probably a whole lot easier to replace catches than it is to replace clutch. The question is who will you miss, and I'll miss Danny.

Cheers, BostonTim

Well said.

The catches will easily be replaced.

The catches in the biggest moments? Danny brought that. Multiple times. Should not have let him go.

Should not have let him go.

No one wanted him to go and I don't think this was done lightly. He just wanted more money than the Pats wanted to pay to preserve other guys on the roster. It always does come down to balancing the budget. He went from just pretty good to standout and wanted a paycheck to match.

:patriotlogo:

The thing with Amendola, as you know, is clutch in the playoffs. Clutch sometimes gets loosely tossed around, but Danny has been flat out clutch in the biggest of moments. It's probably a whole lot easier to replace catches than it is to replace clutch. The question is who will you miss, and I'll miss Danny.

Cheers, BostonTim

Fyp

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Everyone except BB and Brady is replaceable.

Cheers, BostonTim

BB rarely fawns over a player. Value is everything. BB had a choice and he chose to let DA go to a team that over paid. We should be used to it by now.

Back