Preseason Game 2 - Pats vs Eagles Aug. 19, Thurs. 7:30PM

That being said, I agree with Hawg in that Jones is a rookie and Cam is in his second year and Bill has treated Cam very differently than he has treated his past QBs. He knows Cam is a player that needs praise and has to have his tires pumped even when he plays poorly. So benching him is a delicate situation.
How has BB treated Cam differently than other veteran QBs he brought in to start?

What deo you based what BB knows on? Wherever did you get the idea that Cam needs constant praise? If you think BB is worried aobut what players feel, you are so far off base it isn't funny.

Benching Cam is a delicate situation not because BB is afraid how Cam will react--he deliberately puts players in unfavorable positins all the time to see how they react--but because once you demote a starting QB you forever change the dynamic, not so much for Cam but for the rookie. Bench a rookie and you destroy his confidence and creativity. Try to put him back in later and the chances are very high he is tentative in situations that cost him his job.

Bench a rookie and you destroy his confidence and creativity. Try to put him back in later and the chances are very high he is tentative in situations that cost him his job.
Does Mac strike you as a mentally weak player?

Tua was just fine last year getting benched and then coming back to start the next game.

How has BB treated Cam differently than other veteran QBs he brought in to start?

What deo you based what BB knows on? Wherever did you get the idea that Cam needs constant praise? If you think BB is worried aobut what players feel, you are so far off base it isn't funny.

Benching Cam is a delicate situation not because BB is afraid how Cam will react--he deliberately puts players in unfavorable positins all the time to see how they react--but because once you demote a starting QB you forever change the dynamic, not so much for Cam but for the rookie. Bench a rookie and you destroy his confidence and creativity. Try to put him back in later and the chances are very high he is tentative in situations that cost him his job.
BB absolutely has favored sCam...not sure why you can't see this. Some players need that apparently though. Ochostinko was another player that BB coddled along. Mazz is correct on this. Put Harry on this list too.

BB absolutely has favored sCam...not sure why you can't see this. Some players need that apparently though.
Evidently so. Mazz sure keeps telling us Brady needed to be coddled and left when BB refused to let him run the team. I didn't see it and don't see it with Cam, but whatever.

Evidently so. Mazz sure keeps telling us Brady needed to be coddled and left when BB refused to let him run the team. I didn't see it and don't see it with Cam, but whatever.
Almost forgot about Josh Gordon. He was another coddled player.

….
How?

He was cut the moment that another suspension was about to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BB gave him every possible chance imaginable. They favored Gordon over all of the other wr's sans Edelman.

Also, AB too.

This is EXACTLY the reason why BB can take on the "disgruntled players" for the most part and guide them into what is possible (MOST of the time). I'm NOT joking. BB is brilliant at what he does. Way more than just a coach. A successful life coach would be the better term. When I say "coddle", I don't mean that to be a bad word either. Coddle isn't even the right word, but, it's in that same mold though. It's most likely in the psychology dictionary though. BB knows how to figure out most of his players AND most of his competition.

Just another way that BB is the GOAT. It's way beyond X's and O's.

Last edited:
I know, right? I'm not even sure if I believe my own bullshit sometimes.

I still see warning signs with Cam that maybe the better weapons aren't really going to help. That he HAS lost his confidence or still isn't comfortable with all the sight reads required
in our system. That would explain why he seems to hesitate in pulling the trigger.

There are tons of dynamics at play here. To me, it's the most fascinating competition for one position the Pats have ever had including Brady/Bledsoe.

The only thing I know for sure is that it'd be better for the Pats if they both play well and make our air game competitive and I'm willing to look at Jones as sort of a pocket ace that will only
get better the longer the game goes.

I'm not concerned about 2022, but the best case scenario is that Cam does really well, his mojo is revived and he earns a decent contract elsewhere. Another successful Patriot rehab and everything is good. I view him as a one-season placeholder at best. I have to start seeing him set and fire like he really gets it or even that expectation seems unrealistic.

I think if Cam starts the season he'll be constantly looking over his shoulder at Mac. Not ideal. It might even contribute to the "Cam failing" scenario. Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Add to that the issue Flagg brought up about Mac won't be getting reps in practice if Cam is projected to start that week.

I think the best thing for everyone: Mac, Cam, the lockerroom, etc. is to release Cam before the season starts. If Mac comes back down to earth or gets hurt, that sucks, but it is what it is. I don't think Cam could come in and save the season if that happened. And I'm not sure it's worth the possible division in the lockerroom just to keep him for that possibility.

I think if Cam starts the season he'll be constantly looking over his shoulder at Mac. Not ideal. It might even contribute to the "Cam failing" scenario. Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Add to that the issue Flagg brought up about Mac won't be getting reps in practice if Cam is projected to start that week.

I think the best thing for everyone: Mac, Cam, the lockerroom, etc. is to release Cam before the season starts. If Mac comes back down to earth or gets hurt, that sucks, but it is what it is. I don't think Cam could come in and save the season if that happened. And I'm not sure it's worth the possible division in the lockerroom just to keep him for that possibility.
I prefer that BB just creates a niche in where sCam can be amazing at...while NOT become the starting qb. Somewhat like a hybrid Taysom Hill role. Obviously, sCam isn't exactly like Taysom Hill, but, a role in that direction. A hybrid QB/TE/FB/red zone weapon.

Best of both world's.

Seems a long shot to me, BSF.
How many trick plays are out there where Cam could be utilized? How many plays in a season? It wouldn't take teams long to catch on. And he's not a blocker - no way.
Cam has spent his entire football career training from the pov of the QB position to distribute the ball. Paradigm shift for him.
H Back may be a distant possibility but it seems a waste when we have Jonnu Smith who can (hopefully) do it better. Can Cam catch when running a legit route?
Look what happened to Tebow when he tried to become an H Back. Bad. Fish out of water.
I don't envision much opportunity there.

Seems a long shot to me, BSF.
How many trick plays are out there where Cam could be utilized? How many plays in a season? It wouldn't take teams long to catch on. And he's not a blocker - no way.
Cam has spent his entire football career training from the pov of the QB position to distribute the ball. Paradigm shift for him.
H Back may be a distant possibility but it seems a waste when we have Jonnu Smith who can (hopefully) do it better. Can Cam catch when running a legit route?
Look what happened to Tebow when he tried to become an H Back. Bad. Fish out of water.
I don't envision much opportunity there.
Well, Big Mac is the future..so, not a yuge loss imo.

I think it’s a near certainty that Bill starts the season with Cam and then it will be a case of when not if Mac leapfrogs him and becomes the starter. That will happen quickly enough I think if Cam really shows zero improvement on last season. Bill is not going to stick with him if we’re losing games or the offense shows no improvement.

I don't hate sCam (I really don't). If he's on the Pats, I want him to ball out and be amazing. But, I just have a feeling that he's just going to be the same as last year. I hope that I'm wrong about him though, if he starts.

Back