Preseason Game 2 - Pats vs Eagles Aug. 19, Thurs. 7:30PM

Ugh is right. He is smallish and he did get hit pretty good from his blind side on Thursday. Not sure if that hit is the reason for the brace.

EDIT: Just saw UTs post about Mac saying it was for protective reasons. Not sure I buy that as braces really compromise mobility so if you don't need one, I am not sure why you would wear one. And if he is truly wearing it for protective reasons, does that mean the knee was compromised in the past?

That’s not a hard brace, I think, so his mobility won’t be remotely affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In trying to see things from Bill's perspective (like anybody can really do that) I figure that unless there is a significant advantage for Mac, then
he's going to go with the veteran and give him the benefit of the doubt and every opportunity to get it rolling. The reason for this might be that if he sits Newton, the guy he's already on
record as saying "He's our starter," before game 1 and Mac should experience early struggles and start to backslide then he's going to have to reverse course to a guy who you've already
benched. Then, you could have two guys with toys in the attic which is not....ummmm.....good.

Certainly, it has to be competitive between the two for that scenario to happen, but I do think he'll tend to favor Cam unless Mac just blows his doors in over
the next few weeks which will force his hand. So far, I'm not convinced that has happened, although Mac would seem to have the overall edge and everybody
knows will eventually take the reins.

In Bill's (incomparable) mind he would rather bend over backwards for Newton while he buys Mac more time to absorb everything for however long it takes until Bill senses that the team
is fully ready for the transition to happen. Every play will be a mental rep for the new kid in town and it can only help him dial it all in to ensure his readiness to beat NFL defenses.

I'm not saying that the Coach is a shrinking violet when it comes to making personnel decisions (far, far from it), but he, no doubt, realizes that sitting down a veteran who is very popular with his teammates and our vocal leader (whether anybody likes it or not) for a rookie is a sensitive situation and he would prefer that his QB has earned a majority mandate from his players to
avoid a split locker room and dissension in the ranks.

I think the players will understand if Newton continues to sputter and hold the ball that a change must be made no matter how much they may respect him. The majority of fans
may think that he's all washed up, but I think most of those guys know that Newton had the deck stacked against him last season and want to see him get another chance with
the talented new additions and a full offseason. I do not think their patience will be infinite if he spits the bit, but I think he's still the Man for now.

Anyhow, I'm preparing myself mentally for Newton to start the season for now although it's likely not a done deal.

Bill didn't give a rats ass what people/players thought when he inserted the QB3 (4?) when Drew got hurt and he seemed to care even less when he kept Brady in there when Bledsoe was ready.

Just sayin'.

View: https://twitter.com/thomasrp93/status/1427262808345956355

DeVonta Smith has been injured. Appears he may be a full go.
A reunion of sorts for he and Mac Jones

View: https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/1427263369426395140

I've never seen an NFL player with pipe cleaners for legs like Devonta Smith.

I almost get nauseous imaging those getaway sticks snapping from a routine tackle, but I think he will find a way to avoid all that and become
a great NFL player. He has to be one of the more unique WR prospects I've ever seen. He doesn't remind me of anybody and EVERYBODY
reminds me of somebody.

I believe he'll be a Superstar right out of the gate if he can get adequate QB play, which is no sure thing.

Bill didn't give a rats ass what people/players thought when he inserted the QB3 (4?) when Drew got hurt and he seemed to care even less when he kept Brady in there when Bledsoe was ready.

Just sayin'.

I've said it before, I really like Cam and want him to succeed and will run with him as far as he can take us, but Mac is the future.

I've said it before, I really like Cam and want him to succeed and will run with him as far as he can take us, but Mac is the future.
As long as it is Mac when he is the best option is where I am coming from. This includes all things considered.

I almost get nauseous imaging those getaway sticks snapping from a routine tackle, but I think he will find a way to avoid all that and become
a great NFL player. He has to be one of the more unique WR prospects I've ever seen. He doesn't remind me of anybody and EVERYBODY
reminds me of somebody.
Shawn Crable?

In trying to see things from Bill's perspective (like anybody can really do that) I figure that unless there is a significant advantage for Mac, then
he's going to go with the veteran and give him the benefit of the doubt and every opportunity to get it rolling. The reason for this might be that if he sits Newton, the guy he's already on
record as saying "He's our starter," before game 1 and Mac should experience early struggles and start to backslide then he's going to have to reverse course to a guy who you've already
benched. Then, you could have two guys with toys in the attic which is not....ummmm.....good.

Certainly, it has to be competitive between the two for that scenario to happen, but I do think he'll tend to favor Cam unless Mac just blows his doors in over
the next few weeks which will force his hand. So far, I'm not convinced that has happened, although Mac would seem to have the overall edge and everybody
knows will eventually take the reins.

In Bill's (incomparable) mind he would rather bend over backwards for Newton while he buys Mac more time to absorb everything for however long it takes until Bill senses that the team
is fully ready for the transition to happen. Every play will be a mental rep for the new kid in town and it can only help him dial it all in to ensure his readiness to beat NFL defenses.

I'm not saying that the Coach is a shrinking violet when it comes to making personnel decisions (far, far from it), but he, no doubt, realizes that sitting down a veteran who is very popular with his teammates and our vocal leader (whether anybody likes it or not) for a rookie is a sensitive situation and he would prefer that his QB has earned a majority mandate from his players to
avoid a split locker room and dissension in the ranks.

I think the players will understand if Newton continues to sputter and hold the ball that a change must be made no matter how much they may respect him. The majority of fans
may think that he's all washed up, but I think most of those guys know that Newton had the deck stacked against him last season and want to see him get another chance with
the talented new additions and a full offseason. I do not think their patience will be infinite if he spits the bit, but I think he's still the Man for now.

Anyhow, I'm preparing myself mentally for Newton to start the season for now although it's likely not a done deal.

Good post that lays out the difficulties of going back once that decision is made. It's for these reasons I've believed Mac would have to lap Cam to become the starter.
Mac is doing well & I'm anticipating a bright future for him with the Pats but, to me anyway, performing 10 - 15% better against their 2s when Cam is going against their 1s isn't good enough to fire that missile just yet.

Howe thinks this upcoming Philly preseason game may be Mac's last chance/best chance to become the starter for game 1 if he plays really well. I agree with the last chance portion of that.

Last edited:

reminds me of somebody.

I believe he'll be a Superstar right out of the gate if he can get adequate QB play, which is no sure thing.

He has a little bit of Marvin Harrison in him, you think?

Just sayin'.
Lol. I was about to mention this. Bill does not care what the players and certainly not at all what the fans think.

That being said, I agree with Hawg in that Jones is a rookie and Cam is in his second year and Bill has treated Cam very differently than he has treated his past QBs. He knows Cam is a player that needs praise and has to have his tires pumped even when he plays poorly. So benching him is a delicate situation.

I think Miami last year handled the transition perfectly. They played Fitz for 6 games went 3-3 and then inserted Tua and went 7-3. Occasionally they sat Tua in games where he struggled and Fitz came in. That should be the model for us this year although I would like to see Mac play sooner than game 6 but the approach I think works assuming you get Cam's buy in. Cam is not Fitz but if Bill can get him on board with the transition and his role to come off the bench when needed than that would be ideal IMO.

Lol. I was about to mention this. Bill does not care what the players and certainly not at all what the fans think.

That being said, I agree with Hawg in that Jones is a rookie and Cam is in his second year and Bill has treated Cam very differently than he has treated his past QBs. He knows Cam is a player that needs praise and has to have his tires pumped even when he plays poorly. So benching him is a delicate situation.

I think Miami last year handled the transition perfectly. They played Fitz for 6 games went 3-3 and then inserted Tua and went 7-3. Occasionally they sat Tua in games where he struggled and Fitz came in. That should be the model for us this year although I would like to see Mac play sooner than game 6 but the approach I think works assuming you get Cam's buy in. Cam is not Fitz but if Bill can get him on board with the transition and his role to come off the bench when needed than that would be ideal IMO.
They should have kept Fitzmagic playing...he was doing well for them.

You know Cam is an insecure player who needs his ego boosted precisely how?

They should have kept Fitzmagic playing...he was doing well for them.
Not really. They were 3-3. When Tua came in he elevated the whole team. They went 9-3 over their last 12 games.

Back