Preseason Game 2 thread...Falcons up next

I read somewhere that the team is going to rotate their backs in the PS. Perhaps we see what has Ivan Fears just about JIMPing about Fred Taylor?
they did that last year but BJGE was the constant in each game...or the sacrificial lamb for the defense to beat up

Reiss discusses what he's watching for vs the Falcons. I thought Welker was already ruled out...
He left out watching the Wheatley/Wilhite battle.

1. Wes Welker's participation. The recovering receiver made the trip to Atlanta with the team, although that doesn't necessarily mean he will suit up for his first game action. One factor that the Patriots will consider is the artificial surface at the Georgia Dome, which was described by one coach as a harder surface than the field at Gillette Stadium. If Welker is close to playing, the safer decision would be to wait until Aug. 26 against the St. Louis Rams at home.

2. Ron Brace at left defensive end. Thin along the defensive line, the Patriots are hoping the 2009 second-round draft choice will make some big strides. Activated off the non-football injury list Sunday, Brace has been lining up as the backup left defensive end this week with veteran Damione Lewis remaining out of practice. If Brace shows signs of making a leap from his rookie season, it would help ease the loss of Ty Warren (season-ending hip surgery).
3. Tom Brady, offensive cohesion and the long ball. The combination of a solid penetrating Falcons defensive line, potential crowd noise that will further challenge the team's protection along the offensive line and the Patriots' work in practice on the long ball sets up the possibility for some preseason fireworks.
4. Fred Taylor and the running game. Last week, the Patriots featured BenJarvus Green-Ellis in the running game, as he played 21 of the game's first 27 snaps. Veteran Fred Taylor didn't play, so he figures to see his first action against the Falcons. Last year, the Patriots bullied the Falcons up front in the running game and they figure to try to do it again with their new heavy three-tight end package.
5. Bill Belichick's roster management. With 13 injured players not making the trip and the possibility of a few others not suiting up (e.g. linebacker Thomas Williams, Welker), the Patriots could dress 62-65 players for the game. That is extremely low for this time of year when teams have 80-man rosters, and when factoring in risk of injury and wear on key players, it figures to affect how Belichick approaches the game.
6. Devin McCourty's follow-up performance. The first-round draft choice had a solid debut, starting at left cornerback and coming up with two big kickoff returns against the Saints' reserves. He should start again, matching up at times against 6-foot, 212-pound Roddy White in a battle of two bigger, physical players.
7. Reserves making an impression on the offensive line. Perhaps the greatest area of concern for the Patriots is along the offensive line, particularly at the interior backup spots. As Belichick considers roster cuts and areas of surplus that might yield something in return in a trade, it is hard to imagine he won't be seeking offensive line help. It looked like the Falcons had their way with the Patriots' second-stringers in practice.
8. Derrick Burgess, outside linebackers and pass rush. The Patriots are thin at outside linebacker with Tully Banta-Cain and Jermaine Cunningham not making the trip. Veteran Derrick Burgess looks like he will be thrust into the mix at left outside linebacker, opposite Marques Murrell. The top backups are Pierre Woods and Rob Ninkovich. This area ties into one of the club's bigger weaknesses in 2009 -- the pass rush.
9. Tyrone McKenzie's time to shine. With inside linebackers Gary Guyton, Dane Fletcher and Thomas Williams unlikely to play, this opens the door for the 2009 third-round draft choice to see extended playing time after being on the field for just 20 snaps last week. Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes are the starters, but McKenzie projects as the top replacement who will play a lot.
10. Zoltan Mesko's punting. The fifth-round selection and first punter off the board in the NFL draft, he crushed it last week. He'll look to duplicate the performance in a dome setting.
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5474185

Reiss discusses what he's watching for vs the Falcons. I thought Welker was already ruled out...
He left out watching the Wheatley/Wilhite battle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5474185

I don't this list terribly inspiring. Personally, I don't expect to see much of Brady in tomorrow's game, and I couldn't care less about what we see of Welker, as long as he doesn't get injured. He's already shown enough that I have no doubt that he'll be able to contribute significantly this year, though it may take time for him to get his confidence back and get to 100%.

Schematically I want to see if the offense continues to show less use of the spread and more integration of the TEs, particularly if Welker is on the field. And I'd like to see some more aggressiveness from the defense.

In terms of personnel, this is mostly about the lines for me. On defense I'd like to see what Brace and Deaderick can do. If either or both of those guys can contribute this year we'll be in decent shape. And on offense I'd like to see if Connolly can continue to show starting LG material, and for one of the youngsters to start to seperate himself from the pack.

As Chev noted, the Wheatley/Wilhite situation at CB could also be interesting. Another good performance from Wheatley would be very encouraging.

I think we'll see Brady and Moss for one series; same for Morris and Taylor. I highly doubt we see Welker at all (hopefully). I'd like to see a lot of Tate and Price at wideout, a lot of tight end work, and a lot of RB work with BJGE running and Maroney catching.

They're psyched about their defense? We're going to break them like a 4'11" virgin sorority pledge at a rush week frat party.

I think we'll see Brady and Moss for one series; same for Morris and Taylor. I highly doubt we see Welker at all (hopefully). I'd like to see a lot of Tate and Price at wideout, a lot of tight end work, and a lot of RB work with BJGE running and Maroney catching.

I'd also like to see Jenkins and Rod Owens at WR to protect the front line guys. Plus, let's see what they have before they are released. Owens, a star at Florida State, has the build of a WR; a scaled down Larry Fitzgerald.

From Falcons' Blogging Dirty site, author Troy Heinzman says the Falcons should be emulating our New England Patriots. He gives some things he will be watching for from his Falcons pondering if a win over the Pats will mean anything to the Falcons. (What?!)

The Rookies - This category will be here all preseason. These games tell us so much about how the newest Falcons are progressing. Seeing how their used in these games tell us which rookies the coaching staff has confidence in and which ones they have questions about. Sean Weatherspoon is a lock to start on the weakside. He’s a natural talent. Very, very good player.
Shann Schillinger likely earned a spot on the final roster with his performance last week. Dominique Franks will see more time with Dunta Robinson and Brent Grimes out. Kerry Meier and Corey Peters figure to see lots of snaps while Mike Johnson and Joe Hawley continue to provide o-line depth.
The Secondary – Robinson and Grimes are out so Christopher Owens, Franks and Chevis Jackson will get the call to try and contain Tom Brady-Randy Moss. This will be a huge yardstick for the Falcons’ DBs. Will they be able to match up with one of the best QB-WR combos? With their two best corners on the sideline it may not end up meaning that much, but for the young seconday it will be a great opportunity to show how far they’ve come in a year. Moss lit up the Falcons up for 10 catches and 110 yards in their only meeting last season.
Attitude – We’ve talked about swagger and what it means to an NFL team. The Patriots are the epitome of swagger. They expect to win when they step on the field. Right now, the Falcons think they can win. It’s the difference between thinking and expecting that makes a champion. I will be looking to see how the Falcons respond if the Patriots make a big play. Talent-wise, this Falcons team can play with anyone in the league. Now, it’s time to show it.
Will you be watching?

What will you be looking for? What are your expectations for this game? Does getting a win against the Patriots in the preseason matter? Let me know your thoughts in the comments or start the conversation on Twitter.

http://bloggingdirty.com/2010/08/19/falcons-gameday-preseason-week-2/

I think he missed a few Pats games last year calling the Pats the epitome of swagger. Let's hope it's back for real this year.

From Falcons' Blogging Dirty site, author Troy Heinzman says the Falcons should be emulating our New England Patriots. He gives some things he will be watching for from his Falcons pondering if a win over the Pats will mean anything to the Falcons. (What?!)

http://bloggingdirty.com/2010/08/19/falcons-gameday-preseason-week-2/

I think he missed a few Pats games last year calling the Pats the epitome of swagger. Let's hope it's back for real this year.

Yep. He has us confused with the Jets. Pats were probably one of the most passive, polite teams in the NFL last year and that needs to stop.

Yep. He has us confused with the Jets. Pats were probably one of the most passive, polite teams in the NFL last year and that needs to stop.

you can be polite and have a swagger....it is more the knowledge of winning over the 'I think I can' that the Falcons have right now

what the Jets have is not swagger but a bully mentality. The bully tells you he is going to win, going to punch you in the nose....a team with a swagger just does it, no words exchanged

Curran's 5 things to watch for tonight:

1. Will Larry Get Carries?

Last week, Laurence Maroney got a grand total of one first-half carry. He made the most of it, scoring from 5 yards out, but it was interesting to see him on ice while BenJarvus Green-Ellis got all the run with the starters. Bill Belichick later explained that the idea was to get each back plenty of reps instead of divvying them up between four players. Last week was BJGE's turn. It would be logical to presume this week will be Maroney's. He ran very hard against the Saints last week when he did get his touches, but he usually does. It's his decision-making that's an issue. We'll see tonight against a fast Falcons defense if the patience he said he built in the offseason is hope or reality.

2. Dealing With Speed

There is one simple difference between the Saints defense the Patriots looked sharp against and this Falcons defense: Atlanta is verrrrry, fast. The Falcons are a good test for these Patriots because - defensively - they get after it hard and that will demand a different level of execution for the Pats in all phases. One spot in particular? The red zone. The Patriots were models of efficiency when they got in deep with the Saints but this week during red-zone drills, they had trouble getting positive plays.

3. The Dan Connolly Era

Nice job in the opener against the Saints, Danny. And the Falcons front-seven is not as decorated as the Saints is. But still, it going to take a bunch of these games before anyone's really secure in the knowledge that the Patriots offensive line will be fine without Logan Mankins if his contract impasse continues. Connolly will deal with Corey Peters, Peria Jerry and John Abraham in most pass protections (just going off the depth chart here). When it comes to running the ball, he'll be going to the second level to get Curtis Lofton and Mike Peterson. Key on him to find if last week was a mirage or the unveiling of a competent young lineman.

4. Deep Thoughts

The Patriots secondary has had a rough go of it down here. During Tuesday's practice, Matt Ryan and Chris Redman made it rain with deep balls (Jonathan Wilhite and Terrence Wheatley were victimized). After playing so well against New Orleans and Drew Brees, this group needs to validate that performance a little against the Saints. With Roddy White, Michael Jenkins and Tony Gonzalez potentially in the mix for the Falcons tonight, it's a great test for both the corners and the safeties.

5. Line of Fire

So Ty Warren's gone and he's not coming back. At his left defensive tackle spot, Gerard Warren has continued to be active and - seemingly - productive. Watch him tonight to see how well he plays and how strong his conditioning is because he's likely to get a lot more reps than the Patriots planned on when they signed him. While you're at it, check the work of Derrick Burgess. He's looked excellent in drills down here. Impressive for a guy who was on ice until earlier this week. It will be worth watching to see how he gets off the ball tonight against Atlanta.

http://www.csnne.com/08/19/10/5-To-...ing_patriots.html?blockID=293396&feedID=3946

Breer chimes in with some thoughts about what to look for tonight:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...night_to_see_whats_developing_with_patriots/

A couple of interesting thoughts:

Losing Ty Warren hurts enough as it is. From a depth perspective, it could be a killer for an overhauled defensive front. The Patriots like veteran additions Gerard Warren and Damione Lewis, but the fact is, they were available deep into the free agent market and at affordable rates for a reason.

Mike Wright is a solid if unspectacular piece, but there are plenty of ifs beyond that at positions where depth and an ability to rotate is vital. That’s why the development of second-year players Ron Brace and Myron Pryor and the assimilation of rookies Brandon Deaderick and Kade Weston is so important. If those players can reach a level at which the coaches feel comfortable playing them, it will allow for a rotation that, in the long run, will make a big-timer like Vince Wilfork more effective.

Keep an eye on Sebastian Vollmer at right tackle. The Patriots had plenty of success running behind him last week, and it wouldn’t be a shock to see them make a habit of that.

Jermaine Cunningham was left home, so he won’t be a factor. This isn’t just about the edge guys, though. It’s about how the defense is deployed on a grander scale to get after the quarterback.

The Patriots blitzed plenty last week, and if the defensive backs are as promising as the club has made them out to be, that could be a theme for a unit that’s bereft of elite pass rushers. So watch Marques Murrell opposite Tully Banta-Cain. But also watch guys like Brandon Spikes and Jerod Mayo, whether they’re used to push the pocket from the interior.

A sidenote. It is ridiculous how excited I am for football already. I am not sure if I am going to make it through this football season - if I don't, I'll donate my jerseys to people on this board!

Chris Price has his version of what to watch for up. It is as reasonable as anything else, but I'm not sure I agree with this one.

Inside linebacker: Last week against the Saints, Jerod Mayo and Brandon Spikes started, and Spikes ended up playing most of the game. However, when Mayo was lifted early in the game, the Patriots went with Dane Fletcher instead of Tyrone McKenzie as the next man off the bench. (McKenzie did end up playing in the second half.) The move to Fletcher instead of McKenzie was a surprise — not sure how much of that was a statement on how the franchise feels about McKenzie or how much of it may have been something else — situational football, a desire to see Spikes make more of the calls, etc. But if Spikes sees as much time as he did in Week 1 of the preseason, a trend could really be developing.

I'm sure NE will get around to cross training Mac, but for now he is playing the SILB spot. I'm not sure why it matters who came in for Mayo, since Mac was waiting on Spikes' exit. :shrug:

Price has done the same thing mentioning a couple times how "interesting" that Ninko does a couple long snaps. I'm not saying he is intentionally creating controversy, he doesn't seem to be one of those guys, but I do think he isn't seeing the bigger picture.

A sidenote. It is ridiculous how excited I am for football already. I am not sure if I am going to make it through this football season - if I don't, I'll donate my jerseys to people on this board!

Haha, I feel you, I am the same way!! I'm so excited about tonights game you'd think it was like mid-season lol. Life's just so much better when football is in it ;)

Haha, I feel you, I am the same way!! I'm so excited about tonights game you'd think it was like mid-season lol. Life's just so much better when football is in it ;)

I hate preseason games because they make me too nervous that someone is going to get hurt.

I hate preseason games because they make me too nervous that someone is going to get hurt.

I have a little ritual I do in hopes of no injuries lol... That's always the biggest concerns. Therefore, I don't wish it on other teams-either 'cause I'd hate to jinx it!!

I have a little ritual I do in hopes of no injuries lol... That's always the biggest concerns. Therefore, I don't wish it on other teams-either 'cause I'd hate to jinx it!!

I feel that the jinx was already bestowed on the pats when Brady went down in 2008, so therfore I can wish injury on Favre and still have a get out of jail free card.

Back