Preseason Game 3, 2016, Pats vs Panthers

Apparently it is sacrilegious to criticize Jimmy at all and think the Pats may struggle because of his play.

Apparently it is sacrilegious to criticize Jimmy at all and think the Pats may struggle because of his play.

That's not what I said. It was just one part of his comment, that's all. I take it back, did not know it would cause this.:toast:

That's not what I said. It was just one part of his comment, that's all. I take it back, did not know it would cause this.:toast:

I was not referencing you. I agree with your sentiment. The AZ is 100 percent winnable if we get above average QB play. Jimmy regressed last night. That is concerning.

I was not referencing you. I agree with your sentiment. The AZ is 100 percent winnable if we get above average QB play. Jimmy regressed last night. That is concerning.

He is going to have ups and downs, and frankly nobody on this board knows what he is or what he will be. But the backup QB is always the most popular player on the team

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

No, you've always been Middie. I've known Mazz for quite awhile, by her other name. So relax, Middie, we all know you're the real deal.

Oh sorry was not talking about you there slick. I know your fantasies already. Do you have like midgar posters on your wall crossed out?

He is going to have ups and downs, and frankly nobody on this board knows what he is or what he will be. But the backup QB is always the most popular player on the team

Honestly, I don't care. Brady IS the QB of this team. We need someone to be able to step in and win as many of these first four as possible, specifically the divisional games. What I saw from Jimmy last night - his inability to handle pressure, inaccuracy, happy feet, concerns me. That being said, let's roll in week one and see if he can improve. I would like nothing more for him to toss 4 TDs each game but if he can't take the helm and get it done then go with Jacoby. 4 games. That's it. We need wins.

Honestly, I don't care. Brady IS the QB of this team. We need someone to be able to step in and win as many of these first four as possible, specifically the divisional games. What I saw from Jimmy last night - his inability to handle pressure, inaccuracy, happy feet, concerns me. That being said, let's roll in week one and see if he can improve. I would like nothing more for him to toss 4 TDs each game but if he can't take the helm and get it done then go with Jacoby. 4 games. That's it. We need wins.

I will have to wait and see how it goes in the regular season. Its hard to judge much on preseason games. Right now we need him, and the team needs him, so I think everyone is pulling for him to get us through this. One thing to take away though Jacoby has not really faced much starters, so its hard to say he has really earned anything over JG right now.

I will have to wait and see how it goes in the regular season. Its hard to judge much on preseason games. Right now we need him, and the team needs him, so I think everyone is pulling for him to get us through this. One thing to take away though Jacoby has not really faced much starters, so its hard to say he has really earned anything over JG right now.

Yep. Jimmy is the guy. I am pulling for him. Jacoby has impressed me more than I thought he would. He has faced subs but has poise and good pocket presence. But a rookie. So we roll with Jimmy and hope for the best. Thank goodness we have a monster D.

Yep. Jimmy is the guy. I am pulling for him. Jacoby has impressed me more than I thought he would. He has faced subs but has poise and good pocket presence. But a rookie. So we roll with Jimmy and hope for the best. Thank goodness we have a monster D.

and Jacoby is a baby fresh rook too. JG has been in this system for awhile, not much experience, but he knows the system a bit better. Jacoby seems to have a good head on his shoulders for sure. They saw something to take him that early.

Let's not forget the Parcells & Weis connection to Brissett as to why the Pats drafted Brissett.
First, you can read this great article from the Herald's Karen Guregian, where she speaks with former Patriots coaches Bill Parcells and Charlie Weis, both of whom have had a close relationship with Brissett- Parcells as a mentor, Weis as the coach that initially recruited Brissett to Florida. "He's a Curtis Martin, Willie McGinest, Troy Brown type player. That's the kind of guy he is. That's what New England is getting," Parcells gushed about Brissett to Guregian. "Those kinds, those Tedy Bruschi types, those players who've been successful, he's very similar in his personal life to those kinds of guys."
"I'm just really happy for the kid," Weis said. "He's in a place that's a really good fit for him. He's a dropback quarterback. A lot of times people get stereotyped. He's not a roll-out, gimmick quarterback. This kid is a big, physical kid that's a true dropback quarterback, and I think he fits their system great."
Weis also shares a few stories about Brissett's leadership ability and how players on every team would gravitate towards him (Brissett bakes snacks for his offensive linemen, too). Overall, Brissett seems like a very easy player to root for.

Matt Cassel absolutely sucked in the 08 pre-season and most people wanted him cut. He did a pretty decent job that year. While I'm not the biggest fan of his and don't believe JG is the real heir to Brady, thinking that we will lose because of him based off last nights game is absurd.

My thoughts on the game.

I was pleasantly surprised by the o-line. They gave Jimmy G a chance to be successful, and there were some holes for the backs to run through.

For the RBs, Gaffney looked like he wants to make the team. Foster gave them something to think about as well. Overall, I was happy with what I saw.

On defense, I thought the front 7 played good. The only surprise was that I didn't see Pot Roast make it onto the field, (not a good sign for him).

It's hard to judge the secondary, as Newton just stunk. They did catch the balls that went to them (as a result of Newton's poor play), so I don't have much to complain about.

One thing I wondered about when watching the game, was who played worse, Garoppolo or Newton, because I thought they both stunk last night. Newton missed a lot of throws that he usually makes. Garoppolo seems to choke in the red zone.

On a bright note, Garoppolo's backup, #12, looked like he could have a future in this league some day. Frankly, if Garoppolo doesn't perform better, I could see BB making a change as early as week 5.

Let's not forget the Parcells & Weis connection to Brissett as to why the Pats drafted Brissett.
First, you can read this great article from the Herald's Karen Guregian, where she speaks with former Patriots coaches Bill Parcells and Charlie Weis, both of whom have had a close relationship with Brissett- Parcells as a mentor, Weis as the coach that initially recruited Brissett to Florida. "He's a Curtis Martin, Willie McGinest, Troy Brown type player. That's the kind of guy he is. That's what New England is getting," Parcells gushed about Brissett to Guregian. "Those kinds, those Tedy Bruschi types, those players who've been successful, he's very similar in his personal life to those kinds of guys."
"I'm just really happy for the kid," Weis said. "He's in a place that's a really good fit for him. He's a dropback quarterback. A lot of times people get stereotyped. He's not a roll-out, gimmick quarterback. This kid is a big, physical kid that's a true dropback quarterback, and I think he fits their system great."
Weis also shares a few stories about Brissett's leadership ability and how players on every team would gravitate towards him (Brissett bakes snacks for his offensive linemen, too). Overall, Brissett seems like a very easy player to root for.

He was at the top of my tier 2 QBs this year. Very raw but has a lot of intangibles that the Pats love. Physically he has a lot of work to do with getting his feet set, throwing with a set base and deep accuracy. I'll remind people his oline was absolutely terrible and that def didn't help in his progression. Sometimes a guy can't handle pressure, sometimes he has an awful line and can't make it work. The kid has serious escapablity.

Back to Jimmy G. Yes he struggled last night but like I said last night that game plan wasn't exactly playing to his strengths last night. We didn't target Bennett or Edelman at all and really kept Jimmy in the pocket as opposed to moving him out.

As far as the line goes Patriots opened as -1 and I have a feeling it would have been another .5-1 if there was no suspension looming over him. Needless to say the Patriots would be favored if 12 plays.

My thoughts on the game.

I was pleasantly surprised by the o-line. They gave Jimmy G a chance to be successful, and there were some holes for the backs to run through.

For the RBs, Gaffney looked like he wants to make the team. Foster gave them something to think about as well. Overall, I was happy with what I saw.

On defense, I thought the front 7 played good. The only surprise was that I didn't see Pot Roast make it onto the field, (not a good sign for him).

It's hard to judge the secondary, as Newton just stunk. They did catch the balls that went to them (as a result of Newton's poor play), so I don't have much to complain about.

One thing I wondered about when watching the game, was who played worse, Garoppolo or Newton, because I thought they both stunk last night. Newton missed a lot of throws that he usually makes. Garoppolo seems to choke in the red zone.

On a bright note, Garoppolo's backup, #12, looked like he could have a future in this league some day. Frankly, if Garoppolo doesn't perform better, I could see BB making a change as early as week 5.

I'll admit I'm a big Newton fan, just his game. He does have these type of games where everything is off. Throwing off his back foot, inaccuracy and holding on to the ball too long. I thought he looked worse than Jimmy if I'm being honest.

Knighton is a huge ??? for me. Our line looks very good and I thought he would really contribute. I think every Pats fan wanted the guy that rag dolled Mankin and ended our season but that guy is nowhere to be found? Conversely I think Bill would have released him by now if he really doesn't have a shot at the team?

My thoughts on the game.

Knighton's only snap in the first quarter was on the field goal team. I don't see how he makes this team.

Our secondary played very well imo. Newton played poorly because of our secondary...3 ints in the first half.

I see what you did there. :coffee:

From Mike R. 5 players got extended playing time to give coaches a good look at them to help with evaluation.

The New England Patriots coaching staff is making some critical evaluations on personnel as roster cuts will be made in the coming week, and Friday's 19-17 victory over the Carolina Panthers revealed some of the players they wanted to get an extended look at in game action.

Cre'Von LeBlanc - Notably, undrafted rookie Cre'Von LeBlanc played a team-high 59 snaps as he makes a charge for a possible fifth spot at cornerback behind starters Malcolm Butler and Logan Ryan and top reserves Cyrus Jones and Justin Coleman.
LeBlanc entered the game in the second quarter, giving him time to work against Cam Newton and the Panthers' No. 1 offense. He was credited with one pass defended and seemed to be competitive in coverage.
When Bill Belichick was asked about the 5-foot-11, 190-pound LeBlanc earlier this offseason, he noted a comparison to Butler (also undrafted) in that his pre-draft testing numbers didn't necessarily reflect the speed with which he plays on the field. Belichick had also called LeBlanc's one-handed interception against the New Orleans Saints in the preseason opener a "special" play.
LeBlanc, out of Florida Atlantic, wasn't the only player to receive an extended look from the coaching staff on Friday night:
Chris Barker -- In a notable rotation at both guard spots, the 6-foot-2, 300-pound Barker subbed in for starter Joe Thuney on the left side on the fourth drive of the game and then stepped in for rookie Ted Karras at right guard on the fifth drive. Like LeBlanc, he was competitive. Barker, who played in college at Nevada, has two credited NFL seasons and has bounced between the Patriots' practice squad and roster the last few years.
Jordan Richards -- The 2015 second-round draft choice from Stanford played 56 snaps, the second-highest total on the team, and struggled at times in man coverage. He also played on two of the four core special teams units. Richards projects to a backup role behind Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung and Duron Harmon, but the coaching staff still seems to be getting a feel for what Richards might bring the team.
Elandon Roberts -- The 2016 sixth-round draft choice from Houston played 46 snaps, the fourth-highest total among defenders, as he opened as the third linebacker alongside starters Jamie Collins and Dont'a Hightower. That might have partially been a result of fellow rookie Kamu Grugier-Hill not playing due to an unexpected illness and also a result of matching up to a Panthers offense that plays with a lot of two-back and two-tight end sets. The evaluation of the coaching staff would likely be how Roberts (a likely practice-squad candidate) stacks up against veteran Jonathan Freeny.
Vincent Valentine -- The 2016 third-round draft choice out of Nebraska started at defensive tackle and played 27 snaps, facing his highest level of competition this summer. He's a lock to make the roster, with the only question how fast he might be able to contribute. Friday night gave the coaching staff more film to evaluate that potential timeline.
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...han-crevon-leblanc-as-he-vies-for-roster-spot

From PFF

Here are the biggest takeaways and highest-graded players from the New England Patriots’ 19-17 preseason win in Carolina.

Quarterback grade: Tom Brady, 45.8; Jimmy Garoppolo, 44.3; Jacoby Brissett, 72.3

Jimmy Garoppolo, Tom Brady both grade poorly
New England came out with its third win of the preseason, but the team won’t be particularly pleased with the performance of either signal-caller. Garoppolo got the start and there wasn’t much to get excited about. He was fairly risk-averse, ending with more passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage (four) than balls that traveled more than 10 yards downfield (three).
Brady got his first action of the preseason late in the first quarter, and over 15 snaps there was some good and some bad. The good was his touchdown pass at 10:10 of the second quarter, a dime that hit WR Chris Hogan in stride against fairly tight coverage. But otherwise Brady showed signs of rust, with several misfires and a bad coverage misread at 3:50 of the second quarter that should have been picked off by Panthers safety Kurt Coleman.
Top offensive grades:
FB James Develin, 83.8
C David Andrews, 81.1
T Marcus Cannon, 80.4
T Nate Solder, 74.6
QB Jacoby Brissett, 72.3
Develin lead the unit with an 83.3 overall grade at fullback; he only played eight run snaps (12 total), but made a pair of key blocks in that time, including at 13:15 of the first quarter, when he opened the edge for a 14-yard gain by RB Tyler Gaffney. Both of New England’s starting tackles had solid games, particularly right tackle Marcus Cannon, who finished with a clean sheet in pass protection, a feat he managed just three times in 14 games last season.
Top defensive grades:
LB Jamie Collins, 80.9
DI Vincent Valentine, 80.8
CB Logan Ryan, 80.7
DE Chris Long, 80.6
LB Dont’a Hightower, 80.4
Several front-seven players stand out for New England
New England’s front seven had a solid showing, particularly from linebackers Jamie Collins and Dont’a Hightower, who combined for three stops in 16 run snaps. Up front, Vincent Valentine picked up two stops of his own, and was otherwise a general nuisance for Carolina’s front five, squeezing the point of attack and clogging running lanes on multiple plays.
On the outside, DE Chris Long converted three of his 20 rushes into pressure, and was close a few other times. He also had a strong game in run defense, notably giving TE Ed Dickson trouble, including at 12:26 of the second quarter, when he forced a holding penalty. On the opposite side, Trey Flowers notched a pair of defensive stops to go with three pressures (one sack, two hurries), one of which helped force an errant throw and interception.
Get the Patriots’ in-depth 2016 season preview right here.

Quarterback grade: Cam Newton, 77.3
Cam Newton bounces back from early misfires, but gets little help from his WRs
This was a rough game for Newton, who was off-target early and ended with two interceptions, although neither throw was egregious. But across 46 snaps, there was more positive about his play than negative, which unfortunately isn’t reflected in box score due to the play of his receivers. Carolina’s pass-catchers dropped five of Newton’s passes (eight for the game), including multiple drops from Ted Ginn Jr. All five of those plays would have resulted in either a first down or touchdown. New England’s secondary also deserves credit, as Newton was frequently forced to check down or stay in the pocket well past four seconds. For the game he averaged 3.44 seconds in the pocket, substantially longer than any QB averaged in 2015 (Tyrod Taylor led the league at 3.23 seconds).

Top offensive grades:
G Trai Turner, 79.2
FB Mike Tolbert, 79.0
QB Joe Webb, 78.7
TE Marcus Lucas, 77.5
QB Cam Newton, 77.3
Devin Funchess stands out among a struggling receiving corps
While several Panthers receivers struggled, notably Ginn and TE Ed Dickson, second-year player Devin Funchess (76.7) was not one of them. He saw a team-high nine targets, hauling in five of them against four different defenders in primary coverage. On the ground, RB Cameron Artis-Payne made several impressive plays, creating yards in spite of poor blocking. He forced three missed tackles on 10 offensive touches, although three mishaps in pass protection substantially lowered his overall grade.
Top defensive grades
LB Shaq Thompson, 83.5
LB Luke Kuechly, 82.2
LB Thomas Davis, 80.2
DT Kawann Short, 79.0
DT Star Lotulelei, 78.1
Panthers’ starting linebacker trio grades very well
Predictably, Carolina’s top performers on defense came in the middle. The trio of linebackers – Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, and Shaq Thompson – combined for nine defensive stops, four of them coming from Kuechly, and in coverage allowed a lone seven-yard pass in four targets between them.
Get the Panthers’ in-depth 2016 season preview right here.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ne-car-grades-brady-garoppolo-struggle-in-patriots-win/

Also, Logan Ryan shows again that he has the potential to be a really really good CB in this league. He just needs to do it consistently.

Back