Preseason Game 3, 2016, Pats vs Panthers

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
This should be a really good test for our OL

The New England Patriots (2-0) will host the Carolina Panthers (1-1).
The Patriots are hosting their first week of preseason practice without another team in the building. While head coach Bill Belichick says there is nothing similar with week 3 of the preseason and the actual regular season, I would expect that he is teaching his younger players how to prepare for an away game.

The Panthers are the reigning NFC champions and have one of the best defensive fronts in football. Charles Johnson and Kony Ealy are dominant pass rushers on the edge, while first round pick Vernon Butler will join Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short to create one of the best defensive interior lines in football.
Carolina has the best linebacker in football in Boston College’s Luke Kuechly, while Thomas Davis and Kuechly were both First Team All Pros last season. They are joined by 2015 1st round pick and former member of the Boston Red Sox farm system Shaq Thompson.
The Patriots offensive line will have their hands full against this defense and it will be a baptism by fire as the team has to adjust and move on from the injuries to right guard Shaq Mason and right tackle Sebastian Vollmer.
Former Patriots defensive tackle Kyle Love is in the Panthers rotation, as is former Patriots cornerback Robert McClain. And while safety Tre Boston has not played for the Patriots, I felt I should highlight his name.
Date: Friday, August 26th, 2016

Kickoff: 7:30 PM EST
SB Nation Affiliates: Cat Scratch Reader
TV: CBS
Announcers: Dan Roche and Christian Fauria, with Matt Chatham on the sideline
Channels: Courtesy of the New England Patriots media guide.
Massachusetts
Boston, Mass. WBZ-TV Ch. 4
Springfield, Mass. WWLP-TV Ch. 22
Connecticut
Hartford, Conn. WTNH-TV Ch. 8
Maine
Portland, Maine WMTW-TV Ch. 8
Bangor, Maine WVII-TV Ch. 7
New Hampshire
Manchester, N.H. WMUR-TV Ch. 9
Rhode Island
Providence, R.I. WPRI-TV Ch. 12
Vermont
Burlington, Vt. WCAX-TV Ch. 3
Alaska
Anchorage, Alaska KYUR-TV Ch. 13
Fairbanks, Alaska KATN-TV Ch. 2
Juneau, Alaska KJUD-TV Ch. 8
Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii KFVE-TV Ch. 5
Online Streaming: NFL Game Pass for international viewers, 98.5 The Sports Hub Online Radio Stream. You can access a free 7-day trial for NFL Game Pass to watch the game in the USA.
Or try Sportle.com

Radio: 98.5 FM, with Scott Zolak and Bob Socci
Additional Information: The Patriots provide an incredible breakdown on their website.

Among other things, I'll be watching for Anthony Johnson to get some first-half snaps to see if last week was a fluke or not.

In addition, Darryl Roberts had a fine game last week and I think the coaching staff might want to see him get plenty of action to see if he might be an alternative to Coleman, who has been getting picked on regularly.

As mentioned, Carolina has excellent DTs and LBs and it'll be interesting to see if Joe Thuney can handle the major upgrade in competition. This should be a major benchmark for him against the strongest interior D in the NFL. If he can keep it rolling Friday night then.....we have definitely got ourselves a real bargain.

I also want to see A.J. Derby and Tyler Gaffney try to build on their impressive outings from last week.

Thuney is a lock, but I'd like to see all 4 of the other guys play their way onto the final 53.

It will be "interesting" to see how (what's left of) our o-line does against the Panthers. If Garoppolo stays upright, Scarnecchia, deserves a medal.

:rolleyes:

In spite of the current injuries, the talent on this Oline is going to make it a team strength, eventually.

It will be "interesting" to see how (what's left of) our o-line does against the Panthers. If Garoppolo stays upright, Scarnecchia, deserves a medal.

:rolleyes:

A great point.

Right at the moment I'd say the odds are slim and slim just left town.

You don't think they'd be nuts enough to put Brady in do you?

Anybody?

The thumb boo-boo might be the least of his and our worries.

Question - if Brady was to play and get hurt does that mean the suspension would not take effect until he was healthy?

This will be the best test of starters v/ starters we'll have until the season starts.

I hope to see some serious improvement.

Jesus H. Christ, when did Carolina's defense become the 1985 Bears? (Despite the fact that Kuechly is the best in the game) I'd be more concerned with keeping Cam Newton healthy if I were the Panthers than vice versa.

Question - if Brady was to play and get hurt does that mean the suspension would not take effect until he was healthy?

I don't think so, unless Goodell thinks he can just make it up as he goes along. :coffee:

Cheers

This will be the best test of starters v/ starters we'll have until the season starts.

I hope to see some serious improvement.
I'm hoping (probably without success) to see some improvement with Roche and Fauria. Those guys have little interest in the game after the first half, and yak over the plays about stupid crap, and when they need a breather, they have Perillo and Hart talk right through sacks and fumble recoveries and keep on talking so we can't hear what penalties are being called. Makes me long for the return of Randy Cross.

I'm hoping (probably without success) to see some improvement with Roche and Fauria. Those guys have little interest in the game after the first half, and yak over the plays about stupid crap, and when they need a breather, they have Perillo and Hart talk right through sacks and fumble recoveries and keep on talking so we can't hear what penalties are being called. Makes me long for the return of Randy Cross.
What, you don't like seeing that Roche rap competition footage eleventy billion times???

You think BB would tell anyone TB got hurt? Silly rabbit. :coffee:

He did a bang up job with the scissors fiasco. lol.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Jesus H. Christ, when did Carolina's defense become the 1985 Bears? (Despite the fact that Kuechly is the best in the game) I'd be more concerned with keeping Cam Newton healthy if I were the Panthers than vice versa.

They treat this game like a playoff game. They play the starters and they play hard. I am fine to see how our 1s do the first half then get them the heck out of there. I don't want anymore injuries.

He did a bang up job with the scissors fiasco. lol.
---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

They treat this game like a playoff game. They play the starters and they play hard. I am fine to see how our 1s do the first half then get them the heck out of there. I don't want anymore injuries.

That was a convenient excuse don't you think?

Any other year it would be like a regular season game. Not this year. Situational based football.

That was a convenient excuse don't you think?

Any other year it would be like a regular season game. Not this year. Situational based football.

I meant he tried to hide the injury and yet it was reported and pics posted.

Unfortunately we had to put up with a Chicago feed to see the live game. The idiots calling the game pretty much never even mentioned the name of any patriot playing. They talked about Brady's thumb and suspension a lot.
Even on the INT they never mentioned his name the strip sack fumble recovery for the TD was made by a LB according to them. At one point when the Pats had the ball the switched to a sideline interview with Cutler.

I'm excited to see our first real look at DJFoster who showed great quickness and burst early in camps. If he performs well he could take away some of the sting with Lewis out for a bit.

As mentioned within this thread, the Pats OL hands with be very full. Of course this is predicated on if all starting DT, LBs, etc. will play. Last time I believe Cam Newton took a real beating from our D and injured his rib or something along those lines. So, keeping Cam uninjured will be of paramount concern. Josh Norman is no longer on Panthers, so maybe Pats QBs can take advantage of that. I hope Brady plays at least a couple series just for grins, but without Edelmann, Gronk, or Dola, we really won't get a real look until the Gmen preseason game. Lastly, great that BB will be indoctrinating the new players on preparing for an away game. GO PATS !! :pat:

Back