Ralph Wilson Died

Bills fans must be rejoicing? Hoping that the heir apparent will turn them into a team again?

Aahh...anyway RIP Mr. Wilson, 95 years! 1) I thought he was like actually one thousand and two, but 2) 95 is at least 20 years more than I'll prolly make it. :wave:

Peter King has a short tribute that pays homage to the last original AFL owner. http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/26/ralph-wilson-buffalo-bills-dies/

What he doesn't tell us is that in 1962 the Oakland Raiders were bankrupt. Ralph Wilson stepped in and loaned the Raiders $400,000 which was enough to save the franchise. Raiders fans should be thankful and properly mourn his passing.

What he doesn't tell us is that in 1962 the Oakland Raiders were bankrupt. Ralph Wilson stepped in and loaned the Raiders $400,000 which was enough to save the franchise.
I didn't know that.

I always thought the founders of the AFL (even the Sullivans and Davises) were a pretty good bunch of guys.

It's nice to have even more evidence of that. :thumb:

Click the link...this makes me like Wilson a lot more.

Ralph Wilsons letter to Paul Tagliabue, after being fined for the criticism of the officials following a 1998 game: pic.twitter.com/YqJ5ZxwmqT

There just isn't much to say, other than...Ralph Wilson, JR.????? He was 95 yrs old, for cryin' out loud. Doesn't there come a point when you drop the Jr.? I mean, it kind of IMPLIES that there's still a SR., does it? I mean, no disrespect to Ralph Sr., but he's probably been dead a REALLY long time.
Other than it being his name, it's also a way of still showing respect for his father.

Maybe you have to be a Jr to get it.

Other than it being his name, it's also a way of still showing respect for his father.

Maybe you have to be a Jr to get it.

I'm a Jr... or I was until my father passed.

Regarding the naming of the stadium, that is his right. Where is loses me is when he went around (with the Bengals) crying poor mouth at the gap between the haves and the have nots when it came to how the owners shared their pile of revenues (what is included and what isn't included). Stop crying like a b*tch when you are leaving millions of dollars on the table.

I'm a Jr... or I was until my father passed.
As I didn't get my name changed when my father died, I'm still a Jr as well. For a while, I used DC II, but now I use either DC or DC Jr.

My son is DC III.

:)

Kind of sad to see the last of the AFL original owners pass away.

Also a shame that out of four consecutive trips to the Super Bowl, the Bills never came away with at least one Lombardi.

RIP, Mr. Wilson.

I know you're very upset, but try to take a few deep breaths.

He's in a better place.

Side thought: would it look bad if the new owner immediately sold the naming rights to the stadium? I mean....how long is long enough when there are millions of dollars sitting there for the taking?

That never made sense to me.
I think that stadium was one of the first, if not THE first, to sell the naming rights when it became Rich Stadium.
Then they decide to forgo that revenue and name it after Wilson.
When it came to revenue sharing, Ralph Wilson was always crying poor mouth; demanding more $$$ from the wealthier teams.
But those teams were wealthier, in part, because of the revenue from stadium naming rights
And besides the Bills, what was the other team that always whined the loudest about revenue sharing?
That would be the team that plays in Paul Brown Stadium.

Reports are a buyer is already named and approval should be by December but possibly as soon as October.

Is it Donald trump he said he has more then enough to buy them.

Back