Random Football News - 2024

I mean, if you're drafting a QB, Russell Wilson is kind of the perfect bridge QB rental.

I'm going to disagree with that suggestion. Wilson had a relatively decent year in '23, at least statistically, but
if Sean Payton saw fit to just bench him, because he allegedly could not follow instructions and preferred
to do his own thing, then I don't want him anywhere near Foxboro. I want my mavericks to have a clue and
I'm not seeing that in Wilson's case. Not in recent years.

I saw his press conference when he was introduced in Denver and heard him declare that he decided
to sign with them because the city was a mile high and he could therefore play football closer to heaven and his '
close pals the Lord God and Sonny Jesus.

I got nothing against people that are religious and have a strong faith or whatever, but I'm pretty skeptical
about my athletes thinking that their God really gives a shit about sports. It seems like they should have
bigger things to worry about.

I'd probably credit it more if just once I heard an athlete say "Yeah, I was about to pull that touchdown pass in but
for some reason it was God's plan for me that I needed to be humbled and made me to drop it". You only hear about that stuff when
shit goes right.

I'm going to take a hard pass and hope we get a talented rookie and somebody else who isn't Russell Wilson.

I

I'm going to disagree with that suggestion. Wilson had a relatively decent year in '23, at least statistically, but
if Sean Payton saw fit to just bench him, because he allegedly could not follow instructions and preferred
to do his own thing, then I don't want him anywhere near Foxboro. I want my mavericks to have a clue and
I'm not seeing that in Wilson's case. Not in recent years.

I saw his press conference when he was introduced in Denver and heard him declare that he decided
to sign with them because the city was a mile high and he could therefore play football closer to heaven and his '
close pals the Lord God and Sonny Jesus.

I got nothing against people that are religious and have a strong faith or whatever, but I'm pretty skeptical
about my athletes thinking that their God really gives a shit about sports. It seems like they should have
bigger things to worry about.

I'd probably credit it more if just once I heard an athlete say "Yeah, I was about to pull that touchdown pass in but
for some reason it was God's plan for me that I needed to be humbled and made me to drop it". You only hear about that stuff when
shit goes right.

I'm going to take a hard pass and hope we get a talented rookie and somebody else who isn't Russell Wilson.

I
I don't want him either. I'm just saying 2 years of checkdowns and keeping the ball relatively safe will at least appear to be a serious attempt at rebuilding with a rookie on the bench. Keeping Mac Jones for that purpose will look like another tank job, and all the good will from the media that remains will be gone.

Apparently 'exorbitant' means 40 mil AAV....which isn't actually exorbitant.

Exactly why the Bucs will re-sign him. 4/$160M isn't too much for a team's long term starter but it is for a bridge starter.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Eliot Wolf knew the free-agent period that lay ahead might not be a smooth one. Still, the New England Patriots de facto general manager made his pitch during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis for top players to come to New England despite the team’s 4-13 record a year ago, a largely subpar roster and poor prospects for 2024.

“We’re heading in the right direction,” Wolf said of his pitch. “It’s a new era. We have leadership with Jerod Mayo that is going to be tremendous.”

That all may be the case. But with free agency less than a week away — it begins Monday with the legal tampering period — the Patriots are finding out that some of the top free agents aren’t particularly interested in joining their rebuild.

The Patriots’ priority in free agency is landing a difference-making wide receiver, according to a team source. But that could prove to be difficult. They had planned on making a run at Buccaneers free agent-to-be wide receiver Mike Evans. But even before Evans agreed to a two-year contract Monday to stay in Tampa Bay, the receiver had no interest in coming to the Patriots, according to a league source. The same may be the case for his quarterback.

The Patriots are very familiar with Baker Mayfield. Wolf was the assistant general manager when the Browns drafted Mayfield first overall in 2018. Alex Van Pelt was the offensive coordinator in Cleveland with Mayfield in 2020 and 2021. Given those connections, it’s not surprising the Patriots would be interested in signing Mayfield, who will be a free agent after a Pro Bowl season in Tampa.

But it doesn’t appear that interest is mutual. Early indications are that Mayfield plans to consider other options — likely the Buccaneers, Vikings and Falcons — before the Patriots could become serious contenders for his services. He could command more than $30 million per year, according to a league source. In short, despite the Patriots’ connections to Mayfield, New England is not expected to be at the top of his wish list.

Those two examples highlight the unfortunate reality in which the Patriots find themselves.

To many within the team, their ample resources — highlighted by the No. 3 overall pick and the fact that they’re projected to enter free agency with the most cap space in the NFL — make the Patriots an appealing destination and a candidate for a quick rebuild. But, already, two of the top free agents have signaled they don’t want to come to New England.

The Pats can look for a bridge quarterback in free agency like Jacoby Brissett, someone who can compete with a rookie for the starting job in training camp. The money that would have gone to Mayfield can instead be used on a receiver like Ridley and investing in an offensive tackle like Mike Onwenu or Tyron Smith (Cowboys).

I don't want him either. I'm just saying 2 years of checkdowns and keeping the ball relatively safe will at least appear to be a serious attempt at rebuilding with a rookie on the bench. Keeping Mac Jones for that purpose will look like another tank job, and all the good will from the media that remains will be gone.

Russ had his day and could probably still have a good day here or there, but there has to be a better answer.

I think there is an assumption that rookies need to sit or they might lose confidence, but that isn't necessarily the only
way to do it. The premium pick guys usually get the starting job these days. Jacoby doesn't have a lot of arm talent, but
he's a solid enough bridge and teammates love the guy. Parcells was right about that, at least, when he recommended we
draft him.

If we end up with Maye, and I think that's how it'll ultimately go down, then he could play right away without losing his
shit like Mac did. He might not be great, but he's got 30 starts under his belt and is physically built for the league. We also won't
be starting the same slappies on the OL we did last year, either. Drake could survive the first phase of the offensive rebuild.

At one point I read you don't think much of Daniels, but a lot of people do and my sense is that those elite tools will get him the 2 spot
even if he'll never again see WRs as open as he did at LSU. Ironically, his TD/INT numbers targeting Nabers and Thomas were
almost identical to Mac to Devonta and Waddle in their final seasons.

I don't want to draw too many parallels from the Mac experience, but that one stands out to me. Maye has at least had success with
guys who weren't nearly at that level and has his own bag of tools to work with.

Nothing will be ideal, but I could live with my scenario for '24 and we take a step forward.

Russ had his day and could probably still have a good day here or there, but there has to be a better answer.

I think there is an assumption that rookies need to sit or they might lose confidence, but that isn't necessarily the only
way to do it. The premium pick guys usually get the starting job these days. Jacoby doesn't have a lot of arm talent, but
he's a solid enough bridge and teammates love the guy. Parcells was right about that, at least, when he recommended we
draft him.

If we end up with Maye, and I think that's how it'll ultimately go down, then he could play right away without losing his
shit like Mac did. He might not be great, but he's got 30 starts under his belt and is physically built for the league. We also won't
be starting the same slappies on the OL we did last year, either. Drake could survive the first phase of the offensive rebuild.

At one point I read you don't think much of Daniels, but a lot of people do and my sense is that those elite tools will get him the 2 spot
even if he'll never again see WRs as open as he did at LSU. Ironically, his TD/INT numbers targeting Nabers and Thomas were

I don't want to draw too many parallels from the Mac experience, but that one stands out to me. Maye has at least had success with
guys who weren't nearly at that level and has his own bag of tools to work with.

Nothing will be ideal, but I could live with my scenario for '24 and we take a step forward.

Both Maye and Daniels have their weaknesses and the Patriots, I'm told, would be happy with either QB as of now. They are different but they can both get the job done so long as
the scheme is built to their strengths. I'm also hearing Daniels' people don't want him playing in cold weather as he's never done it. Neither QB has large hands, Maye's hands are
smallish at 9&1/8". March 27 we'll find out Daniels' physical measurables. His hands are thought to be on the small side, too. Hand size isn't as important as it once was. I'm
looking forward to LSU's Pro Day 3 weeks from today.

Last edited:
"a popular sentiment was that if Jones had been drafted by the 49ers, they would have won multiple Superbowls by now"

I don't know if I've ever heard a bigger load of :poop: in my life. If I could have been there when it was said, I would have flat-out called him a liar.

What the actual f*ck has anyone seen from Mac in his 3 years that says "multiple Superbowls by now"??? F*ckin dipshit.

Exactly why the Bucs will re-sign him. 4/$160M isn't too much for a team's long term starter but it is for a bridge starter.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Eliot Wolf knew the free-agent period that lay ahead might not be a smooth one. Still, the New England Patriots de facto general manager made his pitch during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis for top players to come to New England despite the team’s 4-13 record a year ago, a largely subpar roster and poor prospects for 2024.

“We’re heading in the right direction,” Wolf said of his pitch. “It’s a new era. We have leadership with Jerod Mayo that is going to be tremendous.”

That all may be the case. But with free agency less than a week away — it begins Monday with the legal tampering period — the Patriots are finding out that some of the top free agents aren’t particularly interested in joining their rebuild.

The Patriots’ priority in free agency is landing a difference-making wide receiver, according to a team source. But that could prove to be difficult. They had planned on making a run at Buccaneers free agent-to-be wide receiver Mike Evans. But even before Evans agreed to a two-year contract Monday to stay in Tampa Bay, the receiver had no interest in coming to the Patriots, according to a league source. The same may be the case for his quarterback.

The Patriots are very familiar with Baker Mayfield. Wolf was the assistant general manager when the Browns drafted Mayfield first overall in 2018. Alex Van Pelt was the offensive coordinator in Cleveland with Mayfield in 2020 and 2021. Given those connections, it’s not surprising the Patriots would be interested in signing Mayfield, who will be a free agent after a Pro Bowl season in Tampa.

But it doesn’t appear that interest is mutual. Early indications are that Mayfield plans to consider other options — likely the Buccaneers, Vikings and Falcons — before the Patriots could become serious contenders for his services. He could command more than $30 million per year, according to a league source. In short, despite the Patriots’ connections to Mayfield, New England is not expected to be at the top of his wish list.

Those two examples highlight the unfortunate reality in which the Patriots find themselves.

To many within the team, their ample resources — highlighted by the No. 3 overall pick and the fact that they’re projected to enter free agency with the most cap space in the NFL — make the Patriots an appealing destination and a candidate for a quick rebuild. But, already, two of the top free agents have signaled they don’t want to come to New England.

The Pats can look for a bridge quarterback in free agency like Jacoby Brissett, someone who can compete with a rookie for the starting job in training camp. The money that would have gone to Mayfield can instead be used on a receiver like Ridley and investing in an offensive tackle like Mike Onwenu or Tyron Smith (Cowboys).

I am psyched that the Pats were willing/wanting to get both Baker and Evans. I think at this point, we look to add as many quality guys as we can in FA but ultimately build through the draft. That is the best path to a long term competitive IMO.

Both Maye and Daniels have their weaknesses and the Patriots, I'm told, would be happy with either QB as of now. They are different but they can both get the job done so long as
the scheme is built to their strengths. I'm also hearing Daniels' people don't want him playing in cold weather as he's never done it. Neither QB has large hands, Maye's hands are
smallish at 9&1/8". March 27 we'll find out Daniels' physical measurables. His hands are thought to be on the small side, too. Hand size isn't as important as it once was. I'm
looking forward to LSU's Pro Day 3 weeks from today.
i'm pretty much off qbs who haven't ever played in cold/snow,etc.

"a popular sentiment was that if Jones had been drafted by the 49ers, they would have won multiple Superbowls by now"

I don't know if I've ever heard a bigger load of :poop: in my life. If I could have been there when it was said, I would have flat-out called him a liar.

What the actual f*ck has anyone seen from Mac in his 3 years that says "multiple Superbowls by now"??? F*ckin dipshit.

I thought its a load of shit, too. I don't ever remember reading so much total crap as been the recent case.

While I believe Mac could yet become a decent, meaning starting, NFL QB in the right situation, one of the
things about him I completely whiffed on was that I bought the story about how he was a totally brilliant guy and
assumed he'd be able to apply his intellect to an NFL field the way he seemed to at Alabama.

Not so much. On or off the field, I'm not seeing that 4.0 GPA guy much, if at all. He actually seems sort of goofy and
makes large numbers of errors in judgement.

He's RG3, but with your cousin Tyquan's legs. :coffee:

I am psyched that the Pats were willing/wanting to get both Baker and Evans. I think at this point, we look to add as many quality guys as we can in FA but ultimately build through the draft. That is the best path to a long term competitive IMO.
Perhaps they were.

Or perhaps this is the Patriots going down the Dolphins route of the last two decades, being 'in on' every potential big-name free agent.

He's RG3, but with your cousin Tyquan's legs. :coffee:

I knew you had a snappy one-liner, but I couldn't recall the RG3 thing. And then you enhanced it by
talking about my cousin whose chances are looking slim at best.

I once took my wife's cousin visiting from Italy to a Celts game so that he could see his idol, Larry Bird. Unfortunately, Bird
didn't play that night with the bad back, but Manute Bol was there and he played a lot. I can't tell you how nauseating it was to
watch Bol run around on those 5-foot long toothpicks. I was terrified they were going to Theismann any time somebody bumped
him. Tyquan's legs look almost muscle-bound compared to him.

Last edited:
Perhaps they were.

Or perhaps this is the Patriots going down the Dolphins route of the last two decades, being 'in on' every potential big-name free agent.
I would say no because of the age of Mayfield. He is 28 and has a great chemistry with Evans. I think the FO understood that to have a chance at Mayfield, they would need to sign Evans as well. Imagine if they actually pulled it off? I mean our defense is top 5 and as soon as you add Mayfield/Evans, cha ching! Then they could have taken their top draft capital to bolster the OL which I expect them to do now anyways ...

I thought its a load of shit, too. I don't ever remember reading so much total crap as been the recent case.

While I believe Mac could yet become a decent, meaning starting, NFL QB in the right situation, one of the
things about him I completely whiffed on was that I bought the story about how he was a totally brilliant guy and
assumed he'd be able to apply his intellect to an NFL field the way he seemed to at Alabama.

Not so much. On or off the field, I'm not seeing that 4.0 GPA guy much, if at all. He actually seems sort of goofy and
makes large numbers of errors in judgement.
I'm thinking Mac's problem is not being a quarterback but rolling with the punches. I do think he was done dirty in his second season but can you imagine Brady in his situation? He would have tried HARDER to make chicken salad outta...😝.

Some people can't overcome obstacles. Some eventually do while others can never quite mentally clear the hurdle. Maybe Mac will one day, but I don't see a Super Bowl great at this stage of his career, 49ers or not.

Back