Random Football News

Status
Not open for further replies.
More debunking of the "excessive" arrest rate of NFL players.

Number of arrests of NFL players in the last year: 55.
Estimated number of players currently under contract in NFL: 2,880.
Percentage of players arrested in the last year: 1.9 percent.
Now for the general population. Look at the last year the FBI has complete stats for, 2010.
Number of arrests of American adults: 11,479,500.
Estimate number of American adults living in 2010: 235,205,700.
Percentage of American adults arrested in 2010: 4.9 percent.
The numbers would be skewed almost any way you did it. The pool of NFL players for an eight-month period is less than 2,880, obviously, because undrafted free agents are not signed until April and thus there wouldn't be the huge pool for the entire 12-month period -- probably only about five months. But if you cut the difference in half and used, say, an estimate of 2,200 players, you'd still be at a significantly lower percentage of arrests compared to America at-large. And you also would be more accurate to compare one control group, football players, to males aged 21 to 35 in the larger society.
My point is, we know the arrests are an ugly part of football the league and the Players Association need to constantly work to reduce. But it's not so easy to simply say, "Too many players are getting arrested." Compared to what, exactly?

More debunking of the "excessive" arrest rate of NFL players.

I find that number hard to believe. It reads like the number of arrests not like the number
of people arrested. Like the petty thief arrested 20
times?

But then again my 17 year old daughter worked as a prep cook with
about 6 others and she was the only one without jail time.

All I can say is Wow.
Ps Fbi website says number of arrests not number of people arprested

I think the arrest of professional athletes, for any charge, is more shocking than that of an Average Joe due to the risk of their losing some pretty hefty privileges. Even rookie pay is a nice chunk of cash, and any of us earning that kind of money would appreciate such reward for our talents and hard work. I'm not saying they are better people, but they've got so much more to lose.

I realize the egos of some professional athletes get in the way, and their ignorance in dealing with money is another issue. I guess I just can't grasp the stupidity involved, whether you come from a gang-infested area or not.

When some thugs become professional athletes, they lose the anonymity of the hood; they are in a spotlight which shines on every facet of their lives, but they still act like they are protected by and unknown as a member of a nebulous group.

It all boggles my mind; I can't begin to understand it.

I find that number hard to believe. It reads like the number of arrests not like the number
of people arrested. Like the petty thief arrested 20
times?

But then again my 17 year old daughter worked as a prep cook with
about 6 others and she was the only one without jail time.

All I can say is Wow.
Ps Fbi website says number of arrests not number of people arprested

It probably is "number of arrests" instead of "number of people arrested", but then again, so is the NFL number, so the comparison is still apt.

More derp...so...when the Saints and Bucs and everyone else play ATL you root for ATL then?

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2013/07/cam-newton-panthers-falcons-fan-twice-a-year-nfl.html

July 15, 2013
Newton: I'm a Falcons fan except twice a year

Favorite teams from childhood are tough to let go of for Cam Newton.

The Panthers third-year quarterback told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution over the weekend that he's still an Atlanta Falcons fan after growing up in the greater Atlanta area.

D. Orlando Ledbetter asked Newton, in an interview after the Cam Newton Foundation's "Fun Day" at a YMCA in southwest Atlanta, about the difficulties of playing his hometown team.

Q: The Panthers came pretty close to sweeping the Falcons last season. How tough is it playing your hometown team?

A: It's always a heavily critiqued game. ... I've always been a Falcons fan, and I'm still a Falcons fan except for those two times a year.

This, of course, comes just days after San Francisco QB Colin Kaepernick was spotted sporting a Miami Dolphins hat while at the beach.

Newton idolized Michael Vick and those Falcon teams from his adolescence, but that doesn't mean he gives the Falcons any breaks when the Panthers play them.

Last year's Week 4 meeting in Atlanta saw the Panthers blow a late lead in what would have been Newton's first-ever fourth-quarter comeback win. Ron Rivera later said the loss especially hurt Newton, who wanted to beat the Falcons in his hometown.

The Panthers would get revenge later in the season, beating the playoff-bound Falcons 30-20 at home. After, Newton admitted he plays against the Falcons with "a chip on my shoulder."

If Newton is a fan of the Falcons outside of those two meetings, and if he had a Twitter account, maybe he wouldn't have expressed the glee his teammates did when Atlanta was knocked out of the playoffs in January.

--Jonathan Jones

Posted by Observer Sports on July 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM | P

Mike Klis ‏<s>@</s>MikeKlis <small class="time"> 4m </small> Matt Russell suspended indefinitely w/out pay, Tom Heckert suspended 1 month w/out pay. Treatment provided as needed http://denverpost.com/broncos .

LaCanfora says the FO execs who judge the character of draftees should be held to a higher standard and deserve more punishment than the Broncos have meted out. I agree; it's hypocritical to do anything less.

The men who ask players if their mothers were prostitutes, or if they are gay; and hold youngsters to Roger Goodell's personal conduct policy to which these very coaches and executives run afoul of.Never underestimate the degree of hypocrisy of which the NFL is capable. And make no mistake, in the aftermath of the Denver Broncos having two top execs arrested on DUI charges in a shockingly small period of time -- and with equally shocking reported levels of alcohol in their systems -- the players, the NFLPA and other teams are watching to see if Goodell responds appropriately. And by appropriately, I mean with the same vigilance and severity with which he has disciplined players.
"Roger has to come out strong here," said an exec with one AFC team. "No matter what the team does, he has to send a signal here. This has to be more than what he gave (Lions president Tom) Lewand." (Goodell suspended Lewand 30 days and fined him $100,000 after his DUI, then lessened the suspension to 21 days).
What isn't quite as shocking is that this happened in Denver. There have been whispers about what some other execs have termed "a frat-house culture" in the Broncos front office, and about some of the off-field decisions those men have made, both now and in the past.
The fact that the Broncos knew about the original DUI, from pro personnel director, Tom Heckert, and chose to say or do nothing about it, until it was revealed by the Associated Press after the arrest of director of player personnel, Matt Russell, speaks much more deeply than any of the tough-talking statements released by the team after the fact.
That reeks of a cover-up. Coming out and letting everyone know that Monday, team officials are gathered at Broncos headquarters deciding how to handle this situation rings a bit like a PR grab, after that fact.
It wasn't that long ago that the Cowboys were burying Jerry Brown, who died in a car driven by drunk teammate Josh Brent. Is it too much to ask men who are in their 40s, and have been around the NFL for quite some time, to not drive around with open containers in their cars, as police allege in their report, and to not get in their cars at three-times the legal limit?
We're so quick to point the finger at players. But let's keep in mind there are thousands of them in the league, with disparate backgrounds and level of means, education. There are only 32 college scouting directors and general managers, however, and when you factor in the nepotism and cronyism that run rampant in this league, it makes getting those positions increasingly difficult. There are too many good men and good execs on the golf course now, unable to get back in, to tolerate this kind of behavior.
When teams offer a second, third or fourth chance to those with checkered pasts, it sends a distinct signal to others on the outside who bear no such blemishes, but maybe don't play the political game as well, don't have as powerful an agent, or don't have the same connections or benefactors making sure they land on their feet.
John Elway, the Broncos boss, gets more kudos and awards than pretty much any NFL executive these days, but these blights are on his hands and on his watch. He recast this entire front office in his image, kicked aside some like former general manager Brian Xanders who helped him learn the personnel game, and now, with his team in Super Bowl or bust mode, must explain why several members of his inner core can't uphold the modicum of behavior that Goodell demands.
This is his distraction, and he must now figure out how to convey to his locker room why the men charged with picking the team and running the team and deciding on the very futures of these players can't keep from running into patrol cars in their free time. Elway, whose transparency and candor was so refreshing when he launched on to the management scene on Twitter and elsewhere, should have taken to his account, or some public forum, upon Heckert's arrest.
And for all the accolades that come their way, this is the same front office that found a way to let a still-impactful Elvis Dumervil get away to the Super Bowl champs, a Baltimore team that ended the Broncos' very season. And as much as they will blame Dumervil's former agent and blame a fax machine, this is a guy with 50 sacks who had a new deal worked out with Denver and who then, as a free agent, took less money to go to Baltimore. That's on Elway.
They drafted Brock Osweiler over Russell Wilson. (Yes, a lot of teams passed on Wilson, but the Broncos spent considerable time researching quarterbacks leading up to the 2012 draft). They gave Drayton Florence $1.5 million guaranteed, only to cut him shortly thereafter. Their decision to pay Champ Bailey more than $10 million this season will certainly be watched closely.
No one's perfect, or expected to be, and make no mistake, Elway has done some special stuff in a short period of time -- most notably, convincing Peyton Manning to go there, a short-term gamble based on grabbing a Lombardi quickly. But let's also keep perspective about this regime and recognize that their biggest challenge, and most important decision, is upon them now. That task? Finding a way to properly discipline their top employees and address the perception circulating among their peers that they are a front office out of control.
And for Goodell to erase the perception that coaches and execs don't get dealt with in the same manner players are disciplined, he should consider punishment beyond what the Broncos dole out, unless Elway takes truly drastic actions. If ever there was a time to make an example, this is it.
Topics: Brock Osweiler, Champ Bailey, Drayton Florence, Elvis Dumervil, Josh Brent, Peyton Manning, Russell Wilson, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, New England Patriots, Seattle Seahawks, NFL
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/j...need-to-come-down-hard-on-execs-after-arrests

Bill Barnwell has a solid article outlining the four young QBs from 2012. Definitely worth clicking through to check out.

Some extracts:

Who Was the Best Gang of Four QB in 2012?

This somehow seems harder now than it did before I started making cases for each of these guys. That's not how this was supposed to work. Hmm.

Given the huge gap between his numbers and the numbers of the other three players, it seems fair to rule out Andrew Luck. I know that Luck didn't have very much to work with, but he was also facing a cream puff schedule. In addition to his 18 interceptions, Luck also led the league in dropped interceptions last year. He wasn't on this group's level. I also have to drop Colin Kaepernick from the discussion, just by virtue of his shortened season. The three other players in this Gang of Four produced an average of 563 touches (pass attempts + rush attempts), while Kaepernick's late start got him to only 281. Production involves both quality and quantity, and Kaepernick didn't have enough quantity for 2012.

That leaves Griffin and Wilson. And if I have to pick between the two of them in terms of their overall performance last season, I have to pick Griffin. His completion percentage was higher and his yards per attempt were higher. They each threw 393 passes, and Wilson threw twice as many interceptions. RG3 also ran for more yards per carry and produced more rushing yardage. If you ignore those first few unsteady games from Wilson and compare how they played at the end of the year, you can make a really strong case for Wilson.4 On the whole, though, Griffin was the better player and the most productive member of the Gang of Four last year.

Look at these stats for Russell Wilson after getting a month to acclimate to the NFL game:

Weeks 6-18

212/330 64.2%
24/5 TD-Int ratio
8.7 ypa

Plus 6.4 ypc and 40 ypg rushing

Yeah, that was damn good. And FWIW, the passing attempts per game over that time would prorate to a 480 attempt season, which would be around 20th in the league. Not exactly Brady territory, but still more than enough to dispute the contention that his team relied on him less than any other starting QB in the NFL.

Bill Barnwell has a solid article outlining the four young QBs from 2012. Definitely worth clicking through to check out.

Some extracts:

Look at these stats for Russell Wilson after getting a month to acclimate to the NFL game:

Weeks 6-18

212/330 64.2%
24/5 TD-Int ratio
8.7 ypa

Plus 6.4 ypc and 40 ypg rushing

Yeah, that was damn good. And FWIW, the passing attempts per game over that time would prorate to a 480 attempt season, which would be around 20th in the league. Not exactly Brady territory, but still more than enough to dispute the contention that his team relied on him less than any other starting QB in the NFL.

As I said before, if you have a good enough team that your Qb can throw 390 times and you win, then whats the problem? I just said most teams do not have that. Seattle is pretty good at most positions, great in the run game, great on defense....most teams cannot say that, its not an insult to Wilson, its a compliment to Seattle.

As I said before, if you have a good enough team that your Qb can throw 390 times and you win, then whats the problem? I just said most teams do not have that. Seattle is pretty good at most positions, great in the run game, great on defense....most teams cannot say that, its not an insult to Wilson, its a compliment to Seattle.

Seattle was 3-2 with a false victory over GB and a skate past a lousy Carolina team during the genuine low attempt phase of Wilson's development. They didn't become a top tier team until relying on Wilson to through ~30 times a game.

The bold illustrates that you didn't read the post.

Seattle was 3-2 with a false victory over GB and a skate past a lousy Carolina team during the genuine low attempt phase of Wilson's development. They didn't become a top tier team until relying on Wilson to through ~30 times a game.

Wilson had over 30 attempts 3 times last year in games, in his 1st game, in his 9th game and in his 12th game, they were 1-2 in those games. In games he had under 25 attempts, they never lost. In fact he had 7 games with 25 or more attempts in those games the team was 3-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back