Ravens Still Classless as Ever

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
In typical Ratbird fashion, the Ravens took shots at both the Eagles and Redskins when announcing the restructuring of Flacco's contract. From Ozzie:

It started with the contract extension given to quarterback Joe Flacco, followed by a news conference in which general manager Ozzie Newsome pointed out how teams struggle at quarterback.

"Philly signing [Sam] Bradford and Washington having to put the franchise tag on [Kirk] Cousins [are examples]," Newsome told reporters. "They don't have the résumé that Joe has, and for us to be moving forward with a guy that has eight years and won a Super Bowl and been in three AFC Championship Games, it speaks volumes."

What a complete jackass! Guess he missed the fact that Cousins finished as the 5th best rated passer last year while Joe was at #30. Why on earth the Ravens believe Joe is a good QB is baffling. That one magical 4 game run is all the guy has and has mailed it in ever since he got his pay day.

Full article here, http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-...e-back-at-ravens-on-twitter-over-kirk-cousins

<sarcasm mode on/>

You're disrespecting an elite QB!!
:coffee:

<sarcasm mode off/>

Maybe it's possible that Ozzie had too many concussions?

Apparently it's good to be a NFL qb starter...even if you do suck.

0229529001432242380_filepicker.jpg

I always get the impression that Flacco is very insecure. There can be no other reason when you see the likes of Harbaugh and Newsome fall over each other so many times to shout and road about Joe from the rooftops. You'd swear he's the second coming when you hear them at times.

I always get the impression that Flacco is very insecure. There can be no other reason when you see the likes of Harbaugh and Newsome fall over each other so many times to shout and road about Joe from the rooftops. You'd swear he's the second coming when you hear them at times.

I think it is more they have to convince themselves that Joe is worth the money they are paying. Nothing he has done outside of that 4 game magical run which was aided by Moore's brain far has made him more than just an average to below average QB. His stats are middle of the road at best and he was carried by one of the best defenses ever for years. Now that the defense is gone you are seeing in spades just how bad he is at having to carry a team by himself.

Joe Flacco's deal lowered cap number by $6M in 2016 & by $6.6M in 2017. His cap number is still huge. $24.55M in '17 is 2nd-highest behind Romo's $24.7M.

Ozzie has lost his mind giving the 29th ranked QB the last 3 years that kind of deal.

It's Baltimore.

It's a second class city populated by second class people who KNOW that they are second class people.

One of the entertaining things for me, being surrounded by both Ravens and Redskins is, is that Ravens fans think their hatred of the Redskins is reciprocated by Redskins fans. Redskins fans generally couldn't give a shit one way or the other about the Ravens if they tried. The Ravens have one of the smallest fan bases in the league with almost no national following. It's like I told O.Z.O. Jr. once- there are probably more Pats fans at his HS than there are Ravens fans in the entire city of New England.

It's a second class city populated by second class people who KNOW that they are second class people.
That reminded me of this:

She wasn't really my type, a hard-looking but untalented reporter from the local cat box liner, but the first second that the third-rate representative of the fourth estate cracked open a new fifth of old Scotch, my sixth sense said seventh heaven was as close as an eighth note from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, so, nervous as a tenth grader drowning in eleventh-hour cramming for a physics exam, I swept her into my longing arms, and, humming "The Twelfth of Never," I got lucky on Friday the thirteenth.
--Wm. W. "Buddy" Ocheltree, Port Townsend, Washington (1993 Winner)

Joe Flacco's deal lowered cap number by $6M in 2016 & by $6.6M in 2017. His cap number is still huge. $24.55M in '17 is 2nd-highest behind Romo's $24.7M.

Ozzie has lost his mind giving the 29th ranked QB the last 3 years that kind of deal.

Back in 2011, Ozzie knew Flacco was not worth more than the mid to high teens and offered him a deal in that range. Flacco turned it down and then won the Super Bowl on the back of a historic defense and a Rahim Moore brain fart. He also had the best four games of his career. This forced Ozzie to pay him and the contract he signed him too was a head scratcher. It was basically a 3 year deal with insane cap hits there after forcing the restructure this year that still carries crazy cap hits for a player of Flacco's production. So now Ozzie and Harbaigh are forced to blow smoke up Joe's butt every turn to try to justify the deal and placate the fans who are that dumb in Baltimore to believe him.

What Ozzie will realize 5-10 years is from now is that Super Bowl win cost him the chance of contending for years and years. Could not happen to a better organization. :toast:

I'm surprised, usually Ozzie is the only one in that org who has a brain.
I'd say franchising Cousins is smarter that what they did with Flacco. At the time Flacco's deal had 1 more year left, he hadn't won anything, or played very well in the postseason. Cousins probably had a better game in his playoff loss than Flacco had had up to that point. I think I even said at the time (pre 2013 season, post their SB win)that I would have franchised Flacco in 2013. He had a crap year that year, he should have been cheaper, but still overpriced due to the position.
And even if he had a decent ear in 2013, how much more would he have cost relative to the cap increase? I'd take that risk. And same with Cousins. Especially with not that many QBs this year in the draft who seem ready, and Wash probably not drafting high enough to get one without trading up. So you have a year of a guy at a large amount maybe that will likely not be horrible as any rookie QB as a floor. Then you might have to overpay him a little if he does ball out in 2016. I just don't see the risk. QB is overpaid anyway, it's like playing a little over sticker for a Cadillac when you have to have one, when you would already be paying more than it's worth because it's a Cadillac.

Back in 2011, Ozzie knew Flacco was not worth more than the mid to high teens and offered him a deal in that range. Flacco turned it down and then won the Super Bowl on the back of a historic defense and a Rahim Moore brain fart. He also had the best four games of his career. This forced Ozzie to pay him and the contract he signed him too was a head scratcher. It was basically a 3 year deal with insane cap hits there after forcing the restructure this year that still carries crazy cap hits for a player of Flacco's production. So now Ozzie and Harbaigh are forced to blow smoke up Joe's butt every turn to try to justify the deal and placate the fans who are that dumb in Baltimore to believe him.

What Ozzie will realize 5-10 years is from now is that Super Bowl win cost him the chance of contending for years and years. Could not happen to a better organization. :toast:

This is the 2nd time I agree with you in a short space of time.. I'm scared.

Both sides gambled and Flacco won, won big time. He's in that same realm of Eli for me, a good QB, but inconsistent and vanishes for large stretches, even whole seasons.

It would have taken some real brass though to move on from a SB winning QB.

Back