Rebuilding The Patriots For 2021 And Beyond

Jeff Howe gives his thoughts - the Athletic

My comments:
I'll add Fla. QB Kyle Trask to his list of QBs to draft. 6'5", 240. Drop back pocket presence++ with decent mobility. 2020 stats - 70% completion rate, 4125 yds, 11.6 AY/A, 43 TDs and only 5 ints. BB could trade back to around 20-25 and still get Trask while adding a late 2nd or early 3rd to boot.
WRs - Marvin Jones &/or Corey Davis would be perfect, thank you.
TE - Hunter Henry for sure. He'd help immensely.
Adding a TE & 2 WRs would do wonders for the offense.
LB - Lavonte David has been productive his entire career plus he can cover a back or a TE.
Of our own FAs, I'm not certain JMac will be back, at least not as a CB; maybe at S. I'd like to keep Byrd and James White.

By Jeff Howe Dec 28, 2020
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

The best thing about 2020? There’s at least a sliver of hope it’ll turn to 2021.
That’s where the Patriots have set their focus, as the regular season will expire in a week and they can turn their attention toward the next phase of their rebuild.
So let’s do the same and make 10 bold predictions for the upcoming year. Due to the likelihood that many of these predictions won’t be worth the paper they’re printed on, this message will soon self-destruct. No receipts, please.

1. The Patriots will trade up to draft a quarterback and keep* Cam Newton​

Bill Belichick has publicly acknowledged the advantages of building a roster around a quarterback on a rookie contract, and there are four franchise-caliber talents who are projected top-10 picks.
Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence will likely be the No. 1 pick — too rich for the Patriots — and BYU’s Zach Wilson, Ohio State’s Justin Fields and North Dakota State’s Trey Lance will be gone shortly thereafter. It’ll most likely cost the Patriots at least a pair of first-round picks to get into range to select one of them.
That’s a price worth paying if there’s conviction behind their evaluation of the right quarterback, and the pace of their rebuild depends on it.
There’d be some value in keeping Newton on a short-money contract, especially if the Patriots boost the talent at tight end and wide receiver. If the Patriots trade up to draft a quarterback, they’re not going to want to also spend a significant chunk of cap space on a veteran, so keeping Newton would make some sense.
He’s good for the locker room and should be a solid mentor for a rookie. If the draft pick isn’t ready to start early in the season, Newton would be a serviceable placeholder.
(*I changed my mind three times while writing this section, could do so 10 more times depending how Jarrett Stidham is involved in the final two games and might do so hundreds more times prior to free agency.)

2. The Patriots will extend Stephon Gilmore’s contract and place a second-round tender on J.C. Jackson​

Gilmore is still playing at an extremely high level, but he’ll only earn $7.5 million in cash next season because the Patriots have accelerated future earnings to keep him competitively compensated over the past two seasons.
While Gilmore’s name has come up in trade conversations, the Patriots didn’t come close to dealing him because there was never an acceptable offer on the table, according to a source. The presumption is the Patriots wouldn’t move him for less than a first-round pick. Would their price actually come down in the next three months, and how much will the torn quad impact his fate?
Keeping Gilmore would therefore make the most sense. A two-year, $28.5 million extension would be fair value, rolling that into the balance of his current contract for a three-year, $36 million pact.
Jackson is a restricted free agent, and the Patriots would like to accumulate more picks, particularly under the premise that they’re willing to trade into the top 10 for a quarterback. The Patriots’ two options with Jackson would be to give him a first- or second-round tender, but it’s historically rare for an opposing team to sign away a restricted free agent at the cost of a first-round pick.
Therefore, use a second-round tender, and entice a team to sign Jackson to an offer sheet. That’s an affordable price for a corner with a budding reputation around the league, and the Patriots could use the second-round asset while replacing Jackson with Joejuan Williams or Myles Bryant. They could also re-sign Jason McCourty.

3. The Patriots’ two biggest splashes in free agency will be Hunter Henry and Lavonte David​

Henry will be the top tight end on the market, so he’ll require a contract worth an average annual value of at least $10 million. But Henry also probably got the memo this month that Belichick is infatuated with him.
The Patriots desperately need more production at tight end. Rookies Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene could still grow into solid pieces, but how long will it take? The Patriots can’t go a third consecutive year devoid of statistical output from the position, and Henry would be the answer.
David, a linebacker who turns 31 in January, has flown under the radar in Tampa but has been reliable and productive on all three downs throughout his career. If the Patriots can get him for $8-9 million annually, they can stick him in the middle of their defense with Dont’a Hightower and let Josh Uche and Anfernee Jennings flourish alongside them.
The front seven would enjoy an immediate upgrade with David on the inside.

4. Josh Uche will become the Patriots’ top pass rusher​

This is an easy one.
Uche has made an impact with his increased role over the past month, and his trajectory should have a sharp ascension with a normal offseason. Chase Winovich has had a very good season as the Patriots’ best pass rusher, but Uche’s raw talent will shine once the Patriots remove his training wheels.

5. The Patriots will focus on the second tier of free-agent wide receivers​

It would be a surprise if the Patriots completely abandoned their philosophy on paying receivers just because they’ve got $60 million in projected cap space, the fourth-most in the NFL.
That’s why $14-18 million annually doesn’t add up for JuJu Smith-Schuster, Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay or Will Fuller. Rather, it’d make more sense to try to snare a pair of the next tier that includes Curtis Samuel, Marvin Jones, Sammy Watkins and Corey Davis.
If the Patriots can land two of them, somehow land one of the plethora of talented wideouts in the draft and combine them with Julian Edelman, N’Keal Harry and Jakobi Meyers, the group would look much better.

6. The Patriots will re-sign Joe Thuney​

The Pats used the $14.8 million franchise tag on Thuney despite being tight against the cap because they hoped to extend him to a long-term contract. The two sides were never close to an extension before the deadline, nor were the Patriots close to trading him due to an absence of acceptable offers. They also weren’t going to just flip him to the highest bidder due to his value to the team, which played out tenfold as he hopped between left guard and center early in the season.
It’d be surprising if they didn’t continue to offer him a competitive contract. There are only 10 teams with at least $30 million in projected cap room, and it’s tough to envision most of them using a major chunk of it on an interior lineman. Maybe Washington or the Bengals makes a huge push, but Thuney would then have to decide between the fattest payday and an environment he knows best and is closer to achieving postseason success.
It’s unconventional for teams to devote so much cap space to guard, as Shaq Mason will carry a $9.775 million cap hit, but the Patriots can pull it off while their tackles are on rookie contracts.

1/2​

I've been thinking about this one. What about Andrew Luck deciding that he's bored changing diapers, is getting the itch to go back to the grind and he wouldn't mind playing for the best coach of all time? Of course, there'd be compensation due the Colts, but two seasons ago the Big Goober had 39 TDs. He's 31. I don't think this scenario is likely, but it isn't the craziest thing we'll hear this offseason. The Colts let him keep the 24M he had coming, so maybe Irsay and Co. would be willing to make a deal to get something for him.

Here's the article that recently appeared in SI discussing this very topic.

Following his shocking retirement prior to the 2019 season, quarterback Andrew Luck has stayed out of the limelight, and that will apparently continue to be the case.

Peter King of NBC Sports reported Monday that he has heard "no rumors" regarding Luck coming out of retirement to play for the quarterback-needy New England Patriots or any other team.

Luck, who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft out of Stanford, spent his entire seven-year NFL career with the Indianapolis Colts.

When Luck entered the draft, he was considered to be one of the best quarterback prospects in years. While his short career didn't net the Colts a Super Bowl win, he was largely as good as advertised.

In six NFL seasons—he missed all of 2017 due to injury—Luck went 53-33 as a starter and led Indianapolis to the playoffs four times. Luck went 4-4 in the playoffs and led the Colts to the AFC Championship Game once.

Luck put up some big numbers during his career as well, completing 60.8 percent of his passes for 23,671 yards, 171 touchdowns and 83 interceptions to go along with 1,590 yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground.

For his efforts, Luck was named to the Pro Bowl four times. He also won the NFL Comeback Player of the Year award in 2018 when he threw for 4,593 yards, 39 touchdowns and 15 picks after missing the entire 2017 campaign.

crop_exact_gettyimages-1170365744-612x612.jpg

Videos you might like
After such a productive season, Luck shocked the football world when he announced his retirement just shy of his 30th birthday.

The Colts haven't enjoyed the same type of success since his retirement, although they did make the playoffs this season on the strength of veteran quarterback Philip Rivers, rookie running back Jonathan Taylor and a supremely talented defense.

Luck is still just 31 years old and could likely come out of retirement and play at a high level if he so chooses, but there is no indication that he intends to do that.

If Luck were to come out of retirement, the Colts retain his rights and would get the opportunity to bring him back in the fold. Given Rivers' age (39), the organization would likely welcome it.

Provided Luck wants to come back and play for another team like the Pats, however, the Colts would either have to release or trade him. A similar situation arose with tight end Rob Gronkowski prior to this season, as New England traded him to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Luck would go a long way toward solving the quarterback issues that ailed the Patriots this season following the departure of Tom Brady, but it doesn't appear as though that option will be on the table.

I never liked Luck very much. For all the hype he got, his stats were the mirror image of Tannehill's stats for their first 4 years. Let him continue to be happy changing diapers with millions in his pocket.

I don't Luck was ever a 100 percent football player. The guy is pretty sharp and has a lot of other interests. I doubt he ever comes back. If he did I think Irsay would pay him whatever he wants.

Very revealing quotes from Cam yesterday about why he struggled so much. He actually said he was unable to learn Brady's system. That it was too difficult for him. This is really eye opening as everyone knew that Cam would not be able to run what Brady was doing and that our coaching staff would have to adapt to him and his skillset. Apparently that never happened. Josh/Bill never did that with Cam which is head scratching and a real indictment on our coaching staff.

Patriots’ System, Not Succeeding Tom Brady, Gave Cam Newton Trouble​

Quarterback Cam Newton suffered the same fate as many veteran players who joined the Patriots before him: He never quite acclimated to New England’s overgrown offense.

Newton explained Monday on WEEI’s “The Greg Hill Show” that the offense, not succeeding legendary quarterback Tom Brady, gave him trouble in 2020 as the Patriots went 7-9.

“None. It was the system,” Newton said. “People undermine that. No disrespect to him. Obviously, I have the utmost respect for him, as we all do as quarterbacks. But I wasn’t just following him. I was following a system that he had the luxury of being in for 20 years. Just imagine that. That’s just like, as a student you’re given six months to take a final exam, honestly, that took 20 years to prepare but you only have, in essence, five weeks to prepare for it.

“So yeah, it was hard at times. It had nothing to do with him. It had a lot more to do with a system and Josh McDaniels — who’s brilliant by the way — of going off of the years of… 2001, 2003. It was nothing for him to say ‘well, we had this play back in 2006.’ Like, 2006, I was in the 10th or 11th grade, you know what I’m saying?”

The Patriots headed into their offseason workout program with Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer at quarterback and didn’t sign Newton until July. NFL preseason games also were canceled this summer because of the COVID-19 pandemic, so Newton was heading into the 2020 season mostly cold.

It’s understandable why Newton couldn’t fully grasp an offense that’s been growing for 20 years in a matter of five weeks. It’s less understandable why McDaniels would expect him to.

Newton wound up completing 65.8 percent of his passes for 2,657 yards with eight touchdowns and 10 interceptions while rushing 137 times for 592 yards with 12 more scores. He also caught two passes for 35 yards with a touchdown and lost a fumble for 21 total scores and 11 turnovers.

I think a lot of it was the same and then they added in some RPOs for him but he really did not execute those well either. I think he is trying to give an excuse for why he was so putrid. I didn't think we did a good job maximizing his skillset but then again we really don't have the personnel either. Still, the quote was eye opening and a real shot at McDaniels IMO.

That’s just like, as a student you’re given six months to take a final exam, honestly, that took 20 years to prepare but you only have, in essence, five weeks to prepare for it.

“So yeah, it was hard at times. It had nothing to do with him. It had a lot more to do with a system and Josh McDaniels — who’s brilliant by the way — of going off of the years of… 2001, 2003. It was nothing for him to say ‘well, we had this play back in 2006.’ Like, 2006, I was in the 10th or 11th grade, you know what I’m saying?”

Those comments make perfect sense to me. 20 years of offensive evolution to maximize Brady's skill set simply didn't fit Newton's skill set. Square peg...round hole. Initially I thought the offense would be tailored to fit Newton but it wasn't long before we saw Cam being asked to be a pocket passer in a foreign offense. It was uncomfortable and cumbersome. I blame Jedd Fisch for that. There was no way ANY QB was coming in here and effectively mimicking what Brady became after 20 years.

Brady going to Tampa was easier for him bc Arians' offense is built on passing. Brady is a passer so he fits. Comparing the 2 players going to new systems and having success or not having success doesn't work...but you already know that, I50, don't you?

Last edited:
That’s just like, as a student you’re given six months to take a final exam, honestly, that took 20 years to prepare but you only have, in essence, five weeks to prepare for it.

Those comments make perfect sense to me. 20 years of offensive evolution to maximize Brady's skill set simply didn't fit Newton's skill set. Square peg...round hole. Initially I thought the offense would be tailored to fit Newton but it wasn't long before we saw Cam being asked to be a pocket passer in a foreign offense. It was uncomfortable and cumbersome. I blame Jedd Fisch for that. There was no way ANY QB was coming in here and effectively mimicking what Brady became after 20 years.

Brady going to Tampa was easier for him bc Arians' offense is built on passing. Brady is a passer so he fits. Comparing the 2 players going to new systems and having success or not having success doesn't work...but you already know that, I50, don't you?
I believe it was pretty much suare peg/round hole. And I also believe that if Cam gets a shot somewhere else, he will perform better than he did here. Not only due to scheme, but getting further away from injury. Injury is not only a physical recovery process.

I agree with all of this except things being easier for Brady. He had to learn on a new offense with no off-season. Same as Cam. And most felt the Arians offense was not a fit for Brady given he had the same system in NE for 20 years and Arians is a down the field offense. But I think the bigger difference is Arians HAS morphed the offense to fit Brady more throughout the season especially after the bye a few weeks ago where they started getting the ball out of Brady's hands fast and running more crossers, slants and screens forcing the defense to defend the whole field.

I am quite shocked that our coaching staff did not do more to tailor things to Cam as we are pretty much the standard for adapting the game plans to the players skillsets. My only conclusions is maybe they did not want to change the system they used for 20 years and that 8/10 of the offense knows for a guy who was gonna be here for one year. You don’t force the entire offense to learn a new system for a rental.

Back