Report: VMart to Detroit

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5842176

Damn. Oh well. 4/50 is a bit high for an aging former catcher anyway. The article reports that the Red Sox offered 4/42, was $8 million enough for VMart to bolt? In any case, aging catchers, whether they're still catching or trying to move to another position generally don't age well and when they do decline, they tend to just fall flat on their face.

They will miss his bat, though. :shake:

Yup. Beltre will be gone too, and I'm ok with that. This team needs to make some moves, from what I see, they don't have any young guys readly to make the jump to the big leagues.

The Tigers were flush with freed up cash this offseason, with all the bad contracts they made a few years ago coming off the books.

I LOVE what they've been doing this offseason, and I don't think they're done yet.

I look for them to grab Werth or Dunn. :rockon:

Yeah, they'll miss his bat but I have to question how much longer he's gonna be good for. He's getting into his 30's and that's when some guys that have caught for years, even if they've been moved from the position tend to fall flat on their faces. I'm fine with him going because that's a risk.

Apparently he turned down 3/48 from Chicago and decided to go with 4/50 from Detroit? :shrug:

I'm fvcking disgusted. 4 years 50 million ws a fvcking steal..What a bunch of tight ass no brain dipshit fvking morons in the front office.............MY fvcking God why me..............

This was not a good move by the Sox. Supposedly they offered him 3/36 and 4/42. The average cost of this contract works out to be $12.5m a season (which is what Ortiz's option is for this coming year).

He is absolutely worth that in year one of this contract (as your primary catcher) and will arguably be a bargain come year 4 when he is a productive DH. Not sure what their plan is now. Werth is overrated and Crawford is going to get paid huge. You're not getting both and you still haven't replaced Beltre.

This was not a good move by the Sox. Supposedly they offered him 3/36 and 4/42. The average cost of this contract works out to be $12.5m a season (which is what Ortiz's option is for this coming year).

He is absolutely worth that in year one of this contract (as your primary catcher) and will arguably be a bargain come year 4 when he is a productive DH. Not sure what their plan is now. Werth is overrated and Crawford is going to get paid huge. You're not getting both and you still haven't replaced Beltre.

I didn't like the direction this team was moving in last year, and don't see alot of solutions this year.

Free agency doesn't look to be very strong, Theo might have to trade some of these prospecst.

They don't appear to have a plan, or one that I can see.

Ownership looks to be more interested in producing shows on NESN, buying race car teams, and soccer.

/doomandgloom

I didn't like the direction this team was moving in last year, and don't see alot of solutions this year.

Free agency doesn't look to be very strong, Theo might have to trade some of these prospecst.

They don't appear to have a plan, or one that I can see.

Ownership looks to be more interested in producing shows on NESN, buying race car teams, and soccer.

/doomandgloom

all of this

all of this
I concur,plus I believe they are relying on the loyalty of Sox fans coming to the stadium,but what they don't realize we will not pay to see a product knowing full well they are holding back on us financially....

Tito seemed to accept both victor and beltre being gone when on WEEI earlier

Salty and tek are going to be your catchers next season

Salty and tek are going to be your catchers next season
3rd place here we come...If we are lucky....

We better sign Lee now because we are going to need kick ass pitching to have any chance... We are going to need to win a lot of 1-0 and 2-1 games next year IMO...

Salty and tek are going to be your catchers next season[/quote]3rd place here we come...If we are lucky....

We better sign Lee now because we are going to need kick ass pitching to have any chance... We are going to need to win a lot of 1-0 and 2-1 games next year IMO...

He's been offered over 100 million by the Yankme's....The Sox love draft picks, signing Lee would cost them some..

3rd place here we come...If we are lucky....

maybe the lack of skills as a catcher hurt Lackey and Beckett - we all know Tek is better defensively but I believe Salty to be too

defense up the middle starts at catcher

maybe the lack of skills as a catcher hurt Lackey and Beckett - we all know Tek is better defensively but I believe Salty to be too
Is he? Not that big a sample size but his fielding and CS % are pretty shitty, worse than Vmart. I don't how much of that is due to that stretch of the yips he had

defense up the middle starts at catcher
Lester and Bucholtz seem to have decent year...:coffee:

it is November, I am not into full panic Sox fan Mode yet and am trying to find a sliver of hope
I usually don't panic this early either,but I'm having a real hard time wondering where our offense will come from...I'm hoping we can get Gonzo via trade and even if Theo pulls that off we will still need another big bat...

Back