Saying the word "bounty" is 180x worse and costs 100% more

HSanders

disgusted and pissed
Reaction score
...than being a spousal abuser.
I'd say I'm surprised and disgusted, but the NF L can't even shock me with their hypocritical BS anymore. Baldy is one of the few tv people whose knowledge I respect too. smh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...suspends-brian-baldinger-for-bounty-comments/

NFL Network suspends Brian Baldinger for bounty comments
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 2, 2016, 3:10 PM EDT
NFL Network commentator Brian Baldinger on the sidelines during the game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Jacksonville Jaguars at Alltel Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida on September 18, 2006. The Jaguars won 9-0. (Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Four years after the NFL cracked down on the Saints for running a bounty program, the league has cracked down on one of its in-house analysts for advocating a bounty program.

Brian Baldinger, the NFL Network analyst who said in a radio interview that the Eagles should put a bounty on Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott, has been suspended by NFL Network.

NFL Network told PFT today that Baldinger will be suspended for six months without pay. That’s a longer suspension than media companies typically hand out to commentators who get themselves in hot water, and a strong indication that the league was embarrassed to have one of its own employees advocate for intentionally injuring a player.

Baldinger’s comments were a textbook example of exactly the kind of bounty that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has insisted will never be tolerated in the league.

“This is the guy that that we’ve got to hurt,” Baldinger said of Elliott in a radio interview last week. “This is the guy that we’ve got to take out of the game. There’s got to be 10 guys that want to hurt him every single play. In fact, we may even put a little bounty on Ezekiel Elliott.”

Baldinger was an NFL offensive lineman for 11 seasons in the 1980s and 1990s, at a time when bounties were not unheard of in the NFL. But the league has changed as the times have changed, and in today’s NFL, even talking about a bounty will result in severe repercussions.

This is about the only smart move the NFL has made in what seems like forever.

Baldinger has always struck me as a pretty bright football guy and I usually enjoy his insight. The comments that got him suspended, however, were unbelievably stupid and totally egregious. He deserves what he got.

You never want to give even tacit approval to any attempt to take a player out of a game by deliberately trying to injure him.

You want to stop a guy? Try taking him out with a hard, clean tackle as often as it takes to get the job done. If you are good enough it just might work.

Epic stupidity by Baldy.

I REFUSE to damn Baldy for a few comments that are paraphrased/quoted. I want to read the whole context. I will try to find it.
In any case, it is epic hypocrisy to me.

Here's a link where they have captured the no longer available audio. I can't listen to it now, but the article says that it has been scrubbed from the place it was posted.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...elliott-nfl-network/j1885z42qqns166uh5fzktbbc

THE LARGEST SUSPENSION EVER GIVEN TO AN NFL NETWORK EMPLOYEE...unreal.
Colin Kaepernick wears derogatory socks while at work...nothing. Deion Jordan expresses disgust ON HIS OWN TIME at seeing two men kiss? Suspended by the team. ZERO consistency of anything...ever.

If he had limited his comments to this, I don't see an issue.

"They've got this running back, Ezekiel Elliott, the fourth pick in the draft. He shows up at the draft in New York with a belly shirt on a tuxedo collar, just arrogance. Just screams arrogance. ...

"And it just bugs me. If I'm Jim Schwartz right now, I'm putting a picture of Ezekiel Elliott in that belly shirt from the draft up there. This is the guy that, right now, the Cowboys are making their bell cow. He's their leader; he's what makes it go."

"And I just want you guys to have the same amount of ... I want you guys to be irked like I am. I want you to go to bed tonight thinking about this guy, and how pretty he is, and how good he is, because all these backs are the same. They're all pretty, and they're all special, and they do all these commercials until they just get tattooed.

"Until you just pound them into the turf. Until you just drill 'em. Until their head hurts. So that bumble bee is flying around in their helmet, so he just didn't know how hard he just got blasted."

The last paragraph skates close to the line, but IMHO, doesn't cross it. He's advocating hitting the guy often and hard so he's lost some interest in getting hit again.

Seems similar to advocating tho hitting a WR who comes over the middle so they're not interested in doing it any more. Or to hit a QB so they get happy feet and can't stand in the pocket anymore.

However, he didn't stop there, he followed up with this.

This is the guy that we gotta hurt. This is the guy that we gotta take out of the game. There's got to be 10 guys that want to hurt him every single play. In fact, we may even put a little bounty on Ezekiel Elliott. Let's get to [backup] Alfred Morris."

It's one thing to smack a player hard enough and/or often enough that they alter how they play and become less effective.

IMHO, it's another thing completely to advocate them getting hurt to the point that they have to be taken out of the game.

Is that worth a six month suspension? :shrug_n:

I don't know, but I think it's reasonable for there to be some sort of sanction.

Baldinger should know better than to say those words. smh.

Anyone else getting sick of all the doublespeak in the world today?

Its only going to get worse too...

1984 and Minority Report are becoming more and more true...

Back