Schefter Says the Pats Have Signed Marcus Stroud

BB likes to go into the draft without any needs, even if it is with players you would hope to upgrade. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go get some available bodies soon as he did with Stroud. Maybe Portis for example.

Does anyone know if March 4th carries any restrictions regarding signing available players? I know FAs can't be signed without a new CBA, but can released/cut players continue to be added?

I don't know if I agree with this.

You could make the argument that our DEs are supposed to function like an NT- head up on a blocker and responsible for the gaps to either side with enough sand in the pants to hold up to a double team and let the backers slide to the ball. Pass rushing has never been the emphasis, but if it is then Stroud has collapsed a few pockets in his day and would seem to fit with us.

If that is true, then Stroud is a solid pickup. His best days were as a 4-3 DT paired with John Henderson, but at his best he was pretty damn effective and strong as a bull. Nobody ran up the middle on Jacksonville with those two and Mike Peterson in the middle.

I like this move, but with the draft approaching and what would seem to be a good crop of big, run-stuffing DLs then it makes me wonder why they signed him now with young guys available and the CBA set to expire in just a few days.

Are the rumors about Mike Wright true?

Have we decided G. Warren is done or Ty's hip might not be OK?

Does it indicate that the scouts don't like what's out there in the draft for DLs despite the hype?

The longer BB is in charge the more I look for the reasons behind the moves.

BB always likes to have several viable options, and then just let things play itself out in camp. Last year he signed both Damione Lewis and Gerrard Warren as veteran free agents. He decided to keep Warren and let Lewis go, keeping the two rookies instead.

Belichick likes to have competition for roster spots and playing time. If nothing else, bringing in guys like Stroud and Lewis creates pressure on guys like Wright, Warren, Brace, Love, and Pryor. You can never have too many serviceable defensive linemen.

BIG Warm body with pro-bowl level performance in his rear view mirror and a reputation for being a heady player.
FYP

He's not the messiah, but he's an improvement in terms of stopping the run. How about this on 4th and goal:

Brace-Stroud-Wilfork-Warren-Warren

That's close to 1600 pounds of meat, and a helluva lot of skill. Not all in it's prime, but still.

FYP

He's not the messiah, but he's an improvement in terms of stopping the run. How about this on 4th and goal:

That's close to 1600 pounds of meat, and a helluva lot of skill. Not all in it's prime, but still.

If BB resigns G.Warren, I can see GW and MS spelling each other during games. I also see the value in more veteran presence to help show the way to the young bulls, Brace, Love and Pryor. Stroud can still hold his ground to stop the run and he can push the pocket although not for the entire game all season long. As others have mentioned, the competition should help everyone. As for the draft, I still expect a DE/OLB type and probably a pure DE as well. This is BB buying insurance against an early run on the positions he covets and gives him a little more flexibility in the draft. SOP if you ask me.

It's also very possible only 1 of GW and MS makes the team.

FYP

Aged meat is yummy and serves a purpose too. Good post.:thumb:

Not sure I believe you. Show me them roots. :coffee:

:jester: Cheers
MissouriMuleVol2.jpg

If BB resigns G.Warren, I can see GW and MS spelling each other during games. I also see the value in more veteran presence to help show the way to the young bulls, Brace, Love and Pryor. Stroud can still hold his ground to stop the run and he can push the pocket although not for the entire game all season long. As others have mentioned, the competition should help everyone. As for the draft, I still expect a DE/OLB type and probably a pure DE as well. This is BB buying insurance against an early run on the positions he covets and gives him a little more flexibility in the draft. SOP if you ask me.

It's also very possible only 4 of GW and MS and RB and Love and Pryor make the team.

Open competition.:coffee:

I love the signing. Stroud was Nasty he played next to henderson. I think they found someone that can play the NT. When they play Wilfork at DE.

The JESTS are looking at Bob Sanders. Heh.

Also, since Stroud decided to sign with the Pats that certainly means he ignored his old pal Seymour's feelings about this team. :D

Stroud is another good BB signing.....Seems that they always sign these mediocre players and then play lights out for 2 seasons or so. Great addition like G. Warren was....At the least..he will provide good competition for the position in training camp IF we have a training camp....

Stroud is another good BB signing.....Seems that they always sign these mediocre players and then play lights out for 2 seasons or so. Great addition like G. Warren was....At the least..he will provide good competition for the position in training camp IF we have a training camp....

Good points, but why did Bills let him go then if he has two more great lights out seasons? Oh that's right, Pats signed him for some min veteran salary and his last season numbers, which were he started 14 of 15 games and finished with 49 total tackles and 3.0 sacks. Not really sure what kind of pass rush improvement that will give the Pats D, but it is a cheap salaried player anyways. :thumb:
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> dw_fontSizerDX.setDefaults("px", 11, 11, 18, ['div#mainnewsdetail span.Date'] ); dw_fontSizerDX.setDefaults("px", 14, 14, 20, ['div#mainnewsdetail h1'] ); dw_fontSizerDX.setDefaults("px", 11, 11, 18, ['div#mainnewsdetail div.AbstractText'] ); dw_fontSizerDX.setDefaults("px", 11, 11, 18, ['div#mainnewsdetail div.ArticleText'] ); dw_fontSizerDX.init(); dw_fontSizerDX.reset(); </SCRIPT>

The JESTS are looking at Bob Sanders. Heh.

Also, since Stroud decided to sign with the Pats that certainly means he ignored his old pal Seymour's feelings about this team. :D

I'd look at Bob Sanders, too. You'd be remiss not to. ****er can play. No fault on the Jets for that.

Stroud for the minimum? Same as above. If he's 70% of what he was, he's in the top 10% at his position.

Back