Sell your Kidney Here

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
There are about 45,000 people on the national waiting list needing kidneys. There is an insufficient supply of accident victims to fill that demand. Kidneys can come from living donors because nobody needs to die to supply a kidney. The kidney shortage is a national crisis but people currently aren't allowed to sell their kidneys.

But suppose selling your own kidney for profit were to become acceptable, what would be the asking price for your kidney?

Undertaker #59 on 01-29-2007 at 10:25 AM said:
But suppose selling your own kidney for profit were to become acceptable, what would be the asking price for your kidney?
who wants to make money for saving a persons life - shouldn't the knowledge of you helping a fellow human be enough satisfaction?

maybe it is my Rose not Green colored glasses -

but if offered I would take the cash

Undertaker #59 on 01-29-2007 at 09:25 AM said:
There are about 45,000 people on the national waiting list needing kidneys. There is an insufficient supply of accident victims to fill that demand. Kidneys can come from living donors because nobody needs to die to supply a kidney. The kidney shortage is a national crisis but people currently aren't allowed to sell their kidneys.

Funny you bring this up....Annihilus just watched an episode of Law and Order last week that dealt with this very same issue.

Annihilus would sell his for the going rate (whatever that turned out to be).

Can you currently give a kidney away if you want to?

Re: Re: Sell your Kidney Here

Annihilus on 01-29-2007 at 10:36 AM said:
Can you currently give a kidney away if you want to?
Yep, it's just like sex. You can give it away, but you can't sell it.

you can donate a kidney if you are a match. a good friend of ours donated a kidney to a good friend. it was a tough operation but everyone is fine now. he says he wouldn't change anything and would encourage others to do it if they were able. he can no longer play rugby but other than that life is back to normal.

Giving up an organ is taking a chance. I mean, God does supply you with two of a lot of things, but if your last one #&*)s up you're SOL. Besides, the operation and complications aside, ANY time you go under anaesthesia you can croak.

So, I'm not sure I would SELL one of mine for ANY amount of money, but for the right person and in the right frame of mind I'd certainly consider donating one.

Well, that's the question. No one has answered it. How much would it take for you to sell one?

Providing it was all legal and done by certified Dr.s, etc.: $100,000, or the going rate. Whichever is higher.

It's kind of an arbitrary number though. If it were really a possibility, it'd probably take a lot more thought.

You can also register as a bone marrow donor, which only requires a blood sample and some paperwork.

$1,000,000.00

Insurance companies can afford it.

It may have to be more considering it would probably cut into my drinking.

Are we taxed on the profit? Could we argue that there is no profit/capital gains? I mean, so we get some $ but we lost a kidney. I think losing a kidney would be deduction in fair comparison to the $ generated by said kidney.

No taxes....then $1,735,454.25

Taxes....then $3,673,201.75

I know that there is some rich MF'er out there that would pay my price!!!!!

Or we could pull a John Locke and get suckered into it...

It looks like the 'going rate' is rapidly increasing the value of Annihilus's spare kidney.

See, UT, this is what Annihilus was talking about when he referred to the 'current market'. It's smart to stay out of the market early until it generates a number to your liking, then jump at it.

According to this article, the value in 2003 for a kidney was estimated between $20,000 and $45,000.

From the article (source at footnote 18):

"Nobel Laureate (Economics), Gary S Becker and his co-worker Julio J Elias established a 'market price' for a live donor kidney as a commodity.18 Assuming that an American earning a mean of $40 000 annually has a life valued at $3 million, faces a risk of death from nephrectomy of 1%, a decrease of 5% in quality of life, and will lose $7000 of income due to convalescence from surgery, they calculated a kidney purchase price of $45 000. Using a more probable death risk of one in 300 nephrectomies (the true reported risk is three in 10 000);19 reduces the kidney price to $20 000."

Should I get a match now and pay them to keep it in good health for when I need it?

what is the storage rate... or deductible for abusing my Kidney while it is still in their body?

Gary S Becker and his co-worker Julio J Elias can eat sh!t

A life changing surgery and I only get $40,000???????

We all learned a new word today !

woohoo

nephrectomy - the surgical removal of a kidney.

Hello guys,

My mom donated one kidney like 20 years ago to my aunt (her sister). Thank God both of them are fine. the funny thing is that my aunt had a malpractice suit settle like 5 months ago and she gave my mom a brand new 2007 Mitsubish Lancer!!

Sometimes it pays to be good... :)

Undertaker #59 on 01-29-2007 at 10:25 AM said:
There is an insufficient supply of accident victims to fill that demand.

Sounds like this is the problem. What we need in this country is more accidents. THEN and only then will the supply of transplant organs meet the demand

Back