September 11 recollections

patswin

WTF
Political Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Tomorrow is a day I pause to think of 5 friends and acquaintances I lost on 9/11/2001, and give thanks that one family member was spared by nothing but pure luck.

I had a business meeting that day with a supplier who was in from the west coast. We met at my office in Peabody at 7:30 am and headed to a customer meeting in Natick, stopping for a coffee and quick bite on the way. On the way there I got a call from my Mom who was watching TV when it all started. Like everyone else I didn't think it was foul play until the second plane hit, which I heard reported on WBZ in the car. We got to Natick and of course the meeting didn't happen, we crowded around a PC and watched a stream of what was happening. I started wondering about my sister, who worked for the NFL in Manhattan and took the train from Jersey to the WTC stop every day. My mom called me again and said she tried to call and couldn't get through, the comms were overloaded. We beat feet back to Peabody and at the toll on the Mass Pike to get on 95 a trooper was just waving people through, no stopping to pay. I tried several times to call my sister and had no luck, just a rapid busy signal. We got to my office and I said screw work, called my wife at home and told her I was on my way. By that time it was 10:30ish and the towers were coming down, I was getting damn frantic. Got home and kept calling my sister, no luck. Talked to my brothers, we were all calling over and over. Tried her husband, and no luck there either. There was nothing to do but watch the horror on TV. They noted all air traffic was grounded, and I thought of my work buddy from out west and wondered how the hell he'd get home. Mid afternoon, we heard a huge jet engine roar and ran outside, and saw a small private plane overhead, it was being pursued by two fighter jets on full afterburners. They were so low I could clearly see the blue flames from the jet exhaust. We were freaking out wondering what the hell was going on. They were ordering the pilot to land the thing, we learned later. I went down to my Moms house and got her and brought her home with me. Finally late in the afternoon my sister called, and she was ok. She hadn't gone to work because she had a toothache that night and went to the dentist at 8:00 AM. What a stroke of luck. She went home and was able to watch the events from her balcony, saw it all. She and her husband had ended up running down the waterfront along with hundreds of others, helping people off the boat flotilla that was evacuating people. They were handing them water and washing out their eyes and giving them their phones to call their families and doing whatever they could.
I lost my HS coach and his wife, 2 people from my church who I saw every week, along a guy that was in my golf league and who I played with a month before. IT was a day I will never forget. And but for a toothache my sister would have been in that vicinity at that time.

Years back we had a thread about peoples memories, would be interesting to hear of others experience.

I got all my information for the first few hours from WEEI.
The internet was a lot less sophisticated back then. I was listening to Dale and Andelman when the news was breaking that a plane hit one of the towers. Of course, we all assumed it was a small plane that somehow got lost. When the 2nd plane hit, I figured the 2nd guy was rubbernecking the 1st guy. Then when the Pentagon was hit, it was clear what was happening.

At work, the news was spreading and no one was getting anything done, so someone rolled a TV into a conference room and we watched until about noon. At that point, we all decided to just go home and be with our families.

I didn't lose anyone I knew, but it's still a day that sticks with me. I still have the Globe and Herald from those days to serve as a reminder.

My recollection.

I thimk wifey had some connection to what was transpiring. We are 3 hours behind out here. She woke up sweating and screaming. Started telling me about kids in a nursery with the ceilings collapsing on them. She was terrified. Then we turn on the news...

Always remember

I was at work and like most I followed it on TV in total disbelief and anger. The sights and sounds of the tragedy still resonate like it was yesterday.

Left my office and in unusual fashion I did not put radio on. I walked into the Local Town Hall to do some work and it was empty - everyone was in the break room watching TV!! I thought the typical thought of "lazy ass town workers". After finding what I needed, and being pissed at how lazy they were, I started to drive back and put the radio on (weei) hearing the news of what was happening.

I drove back to my office and most of us sat around my little 2" TV, I bought for Pats Games in the old stadium, watching the news amazed at what happened - the world was changed that day.

I had a cousin who worked in the towers but was not in the office that day and we lost a resident of my town, a popular townie, in the towers.

Lots of Memories from that day. I was home and hubby went to work.

The eldest son was on his way to the city for work when it happened. My youngest and I were watching TV while I was packing his lunch for school. My Middle son just got back from basic 2 days before. And my daughter was at School.

We lived in a town close to the city so...... quite a few parents worked there. We lost 8 parents, and a number of aunts, uncles, and elder siblings that day.

My middle son got a call to help with evacuations across the state line. It took a few hours for the eldest to get home. Schools were canceled and kids told to go home. Hubby came home so I could go in to work.......

Never forget

~Dee~

You may recall there was another bombing of the wtc years before 9-11. My former boss lost his wife who was due to deliver their first child in that one.

I can never forget it. Lunchtime was here, and my dad called me at work. And when he said an aircraft had flown into the World Trade Centre, like many, I assumed it was an accident and then pictured a small Cessna or prop aircraft.

I could never have imagined it was a fully laden B767 and then a B757, purposely flown into the buildings. The carnage was appalling; those images of people jumping from the top floors will live with me to the day I die. I'm in the aviation business, and the sheer effort to hijack and then take control of the aircraft and be able to fly in like that into the WTC staggered me and I realised that we now had a possible unsolvable problem with the Islamist fascists.

These were not poor, oppressed people from poor villages in the middle east. They were well educated, some were Doctors and had been in the west for some time. It was that realisation that I think shocked everyone. This is a new, vicious ideology we would now have to deal with.

There was a substantial Irish connection with the victims. Whether it was the FDNY or the NYPD or firms like Cantor Fitzgerald. I also thought of an Irishmen from Cork who just escaped the tower when the first aircraft hit whom then looked up, and his sister and baby girl were in the 2nd aircraft.....

And I can never forget poor Fr. Mychal Judge, the Franciscan Chaplain of the FDNY and victim 0001 officially.

image.jpg

Me and my love were in College at the time. We were in film class watching a Hitchcock film in an auditorium while it happened. I saw the professor at the entrance speaking to different people throughout the movie.

At the end he stood up front and said "The world you left when you came in here this morning is not the world you are returning to. Go home and be with your loved ones."

Just chilling. we spent the next three days at home watching and reading everything we could find about what happened. Crying most of the time.

The world most certainly changed that day.

How the hell, did we forget?

this was a great commercial from that years Super Bowl. Only version I can find on the internet, strangely.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/229308629?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/229308629">9/11 Budweiser Tribute Commercial - 2002</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/jdecamp">James D. DeCamp</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

I was here at work and my wife called and asked me how many people I knew in the WTC. I said a lot. She proceeded to hysterically tell me that the plane had hit and when we were still on the phone she screamed "another plane just hit the other building this isn't an accident!" At that point I told her to hang up so I could call some friends. I called one and it went to his voice mail so I stupidly thought oh he must be ok. Well he ended up e-mailing me from a friends computer to tell me that he and his 18 month old daughter were ok because he had gone to work out before work and was unsure about his wife who worked with him. That night he called and said that his wife had been seen (they had an emergency system). I asked why she wasn't home yet and he said a lot of people were having a tough time getting home. I asked him to call me when she arrived regardless of the time. The next moring I called him and a mutual friend answered and told me that they were mistaken about her being seen. So I worked with about 14 of the people with the same company in Montreal (4 of them good friends, one my ex boss) and strangely another woman that I worked with when I moved to Boston that were all killed.

I'd like to thank patswin for starting this thread. I was a middle school teacher, and I guess that year I had period one free. So on my 2001-ish computer/internet, I was checking out bostonglobe.com.

Around 8:30, or whatever time it was, it said 'breaking news: a plane crashed into one of the twin towers. If you clicked on it, it didn't go to a story yet.

Then a while later, somehow I found out a second plane had done it's evil damage (that's how I feel).

The teacher next to me had a tv on a cart, and she let me wheel it into my classroom. I don't think the 7th-graders really understood what was going on. For me, it was scary.

The school had assemblies the next day or a couple of days later. One thing an administrator said to the kids was 'if something happens to us during school time, we all go to the basement where it's safer (it was a civil defense bomb shelter since the 60's), and stay there until told to leave'.

Mind you, the fear we all had those days. Fear of bombings, anthrax powder, and biological warfare against us. I thought 'yeah, if anything happens like that, I'm going home to my family'. Nothing else happened but fear, about the unknown, and about various ethnic groups (sadly).

To think back brings sadness, but we must think back, for we can hopefully, hopefully learn from the past. I'm not entirely sure what, but we must, as earlier referred to, remember.

It's been 18 years now, but it seems like yesterday, because it was the scariest feeling in my whole life (except as a 4 year old going on scary rides at rocky point!) But 9-11 was real life, and still is. We've had to dramatically change security since then.

But it's getting more lax, as we forget...

i was working nights, my wife woke me up that morning telling me something happened at the trade center and i better get up. watched the 2nd plane happen and at that moment realized everything was going to change.

the other moment i recall so vividly was in the afternoon, after having enough of the news, going out to the backyard and the town and the sky (maine sees a ton of overflights to-from Europe normally)was so silent on a perfect indian summer day, it was as if my wife and i were the only 2 people left. So quiet we were talking in whispers.

I was here at work and my wife called and asked me how many people I knew in the WTC. I said a lot. She proceeded to hysterically tell me that the plane had hit and when we were still on the phone she screamed "another plane just hit the other building this isn't an accident!" At that point I told her to hang up so I could call some friends. I called one and it went to his voice mail so I stupidly thought oh he must be ok. Well he ended up e-mailing me from a friends computer to tell me that he and his 18 month old daughter were ok because he had gone to work out before work and was unsure about his wife who worked with him. That night he called and said that his wife had been seen (they had an emergency system). I asked why she wasn't home yet and he said a lot of people were having a tough time getting home. I asked him to call me when she arrived regardless of the time. The next moring I called him and a mutual friend answered and told me that they were mistaken about her being seen. So I worked with about 14 of the people with the same company in Montreal (4 of them good friends, one my ex boss) and strangely another woman that I worked with when I moved to Boston that were all killed.

That's an awful loss, sorry to hear. I know a lot of people who lost coworkers, and 4 were from my hometown, 2 of them were my coach and his wife, as well as the copilot of one of the planes and another guy I didn't know who was about 7 years younger than me. Never forget.

I was a freshman in college, due to dorm mate getting in trouble, I had nothing but the minimum in my room. I had no tv. I woke up for class and walked by the room next door either when the second plane hit or a replay. Didn’t have much classes that day. I waited in line for an hour to top off my gas tank. I do miss how united this country was on 9/12.

I was browsing Facebook today and was fine until the photo of off duty firefighter Tim Duffy riding his Harley in full turn out gear came up riding to the towers to help. Something about that photo got to me. He was in the debris of one of the collapsed tower and got himself out. He continued to rescue people and I think took a truck to get people to the hospital. He still does a motorcycle ride to benefit 9/11 survivors on his 00 Harley street glide super sport.

this gets me too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MDOrzF7B2Kg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this gets me too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MDOrzF7B2Kg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We showed this to our students yesterday in school. I have Juniors in my Seminar period. When the video was over, I chose to show the CBS coverage of Bryant Gumbel in real time as they were covering the news. Phone interviews were aired with people who witnessed the first plane. All three people seemed to be very calm - until the second plane hit while the third person was being interviewed.

When the video ended - I started talking about how this tragedy brought us all together as a country. I could barely finish my sentence when I started bawling like a baby. Right there in front of my students. Thankfully there was another teacher in the room who stood up and took over for me.

When the bell rang to end the period, every student came up to me to say good bye.

This video is well worth the watch. Loved the movie Dunkirk and was amazed at the numbers of those rescued. The number rescued on 9/11 eclipsed the number at Dunkirk.

I love being an American.

We showed this to our students yesterday in school. I have Juniors in my Seminar period. When the video was over, I chose to show the CBS coverage of Bryant Gumbel in real time as they were covering the news. Phone interviews were aired with people who witnessed the first plane. All three people seemed to be very calm - until the second plane hit while the third person was being interviewed.

When the video ended - I started talking about how this tragedy brought us all together as a country. I could barely finish my sentence when I started bawling like a baby. Right there in front of my students. Thankfully there was another teacher in the room who stood up and took over for me.

When the bell rang to end the period, every student came up to me to say good bye.

This video is well worth the watch. Loved the movie Dunkirk and was amazed at the numbers of those rescued. The number rescued on 9/11 eclipsed the number at Dunkirk.

I love being an American.

Last year, I watched the full broadcast of CBS from the start until the towers fell. The bewilderment from everyone reporting is truly astonishing in retrospect. We were still in the very early days of the internet, no social media, no smartphones, even laptops were bulky and expensive. We were still getting news mostly the old-fashioned way.

Another interesting listen is the Stern coverage both on 9/11 and 9/12 (on youtube).

Back