Should Dillon risk injury against the Steelers?

thomas144

Bandwagon Fan
Reaction score
Website
www.mudelephant.com
The Patriots are obviously extremely thin at a number of positions, none more so than Halfback.

I've listened to the arguments from Steelers fans that Corey Dillon would not have made any difference in the game on Halloween, and I tend to agree.

I'm wondering, given the fact that the Patriots don't really have a viable backup at that position, if it wouldn't make sense to rest Dillon in the game this weekend to protect him from injuries.

Although he is probably the second most valuable Patriot after Brady, in Brady's case the team at least has a viable backup in Rohan Davey, should Brady break his leg or something.

After all, if the Patriots can beat the Steelers on the road in a playoff game with Drew Bledsoe and Antowan Smith in the backfield, it seems pretty obvious that it doesn't matter who they put on the field. Superior coaching and scheming is the key to victory.

It goes without saying that they will hold out Seymour for the Superbowl. I'm not even sure they really need to play their starters in the Superbowl much, but it's the kind of thing that upsets players, if they don't get to play in the last game of the season.

thomas144 said:
The Patriots are obviously extremely thin at a number of positions, none more so than Halfback.

I've listened to the arguments from Steelers fans that Corey Dillon would not have made any difference in the game on Halloween, and I tend to agree.

I'm wondering, given the fact that the Patriots don't really have a viable backup at that position, if it wouldn't make sense to rest Dillon in the game this weekend to protect him from injuries.

Although he is probably the second most valuable Patriot after Brady, in Brady's case the team at least has a viable backup in Rohan Davey, should Brady break his leg or something.

After all, if the Patriots can beat the Steelers on the road in a playoff game with Drew Bledsoe and Antowan Smith in the backfield, it seems pretty obvious that it doesn't matter who they put on the field. Superior coaching and scheming is the key to victory.

It goes without saying that they will hold out Seymour for the Superbowl. I'm not even sure they really need to play their starters in the Superbowl much, but it's the kind of thing that upsets players, if they don't get to play in the last game of the season.

Please tell me your not serious. You are going to hold out your best running back so that he is fresh for the super bowl? This has to be the most ridiculous post I have ever read!! PLease tell me your kidding.

Re: Re: Should Dillon risk injury against the Steelers?

patsfan31 said:
Please tell me your not serious. You are going to hold out your best running back so that he is fresh for the super bowl? This has to be the most ridiculous post I have ever read!! PLease tell me your kidding.

Yes, he is kidding. Read his prior posts, you'll find much of the same style of humor used there.

That was good stuff thomas :thumb:

You have a good point, Thomas. I had never looked at it from that perspective. Any team wants to be at their healthiest heading into the Super Bowl.

It's never too early to be planning ahead ;)

You need to get to the Super Bowl in order to play at the Super Bowl. We don't get there by resting Corey.

Thomas is just thinking "outside the box" here. After all, he is our advanced scout.

Can you imagine how confused Cowher would look if this were to happen? After all, he's expecting Belichick to pull a rabbit out of his hat (hooded sweatshirt :blink: ). I could see Cowher scrapping the whole game plan trying to counter the move ;)

bideau said:
Thomas is just thinking "outside the box" here. After all, he is our advanced scout.

Can you imagine how confused Cowher would look if this were to happen? After all, he's expecting Belichick to pull a rabbit out of his hat (hooded sweatshirt :blink: ). I could see Cowher scrapping the whole game plan trying to counter the move ;)
It would be interesting to see people's reactions if the Patriots opened up with the 5 receiver set.
________
marijuana news

bideau said:

Ok then my apologies!!! Was still a little early this am when I read this. I hope Dillion has a monster game and gets to redeem some of the arse beating he took with the bungles. Kind of like sweet redemption. Not to mention it could not happen to better bunch of fans, the steelers fans!!!!!!

Re: Re: Should Dillon risk injury against the Steelers?

patsfan31 said:

you have been here since april and you dont know him? :eek:

Thomas - I'd recommend posting this on every Steelers board in existence.

Seriously.

dchester said:
It would be interesting to see people's reactions if the Patriots opened up with the 5 receiver set.

NO!

That is what they did on Halloween, and it is MUCH harder to do at the beginning of a game in a hostile environment than it is at home. It was that game plan the spelled DOOM for the Patriots and the main reason why Dillon would not have made a difference.

Re: Re: Re: Should Dillon risk injury against the Steelers?

LVent said:
you have been here since april and you dont know him? :eek:

Let just say I am a avid member here. I just recently started to post here more often. :D

Undertaker #59 said:
NO!

That is what they did on Halloween, and it is MUCH harder to do at the beginning of a game in a hostile environment than it is at home. It was that game plan the spelled DOOM for the Patriots and the main reason why Dillon would not have made a difference.

this steeler team is muh different than the last time teams pimped us out with the 5 reciever sets :cool:

LVent said:
this steeler team is muh different than the last time teams pimped us out with the 5 reciever sets :cool:

That is true and why it was a major blunder to try it on Halloween. That game was lost almost before it started.

Undertaker #59 said:
That is true and why it was a major blunder to try it on Halloween. That game was lost almost before it started.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. That game was lost due to poor blocking, poor tackling, and turnovers.
________
strain index

BETTER GAME PLAN

There will be a better game plan. I trust BB has been working on it since we lost to the steelers.look at what we did against the colts with our patched work d...lol
Everyone said we would not beet the colts lmfao did they real doubt Bb and company..Pats are a good team they can mix players around. Look at troy brown playing on d we use seymore as a fullback we are a very versital TEAM. PATS ARE A TEAM OF ONE AND A TEAM OF HEART AND SUNDAY THEY WILL PLAY THERE A GAME.:thumb:

dchester said:
I'm sorry, but I disagree. That game was lost due to poor blocking, poor tackling, and turnovers.

No doubt. But I thought they were also put into a bad situation with a bad offensive game plan. I like Weiss, but that was the wrong time to use the 5 wide set.

Of course, Bethel Johnson falling down and running the wrong routes didn't help either.

dchester said:

what do you think your going to have when you play with 5 recievers against a blitz oriented team? ;)

Back