SI Asks: Can the NFL escape the depths of its own corruption?

I wasn't all that impressed.

Spare me all the high and mighty talk from those that earn their golden eggs from the very golden goose they criticize.

The idea that the NFL didn't want information to come out about concussions isn't a revelation.

Further, today with all the information readily available, high school football is still in many schools in the United States, very few college programs are shutting down and the NFL is thriving. I can't wait for the new season to start.

BTW, this is my laugh out loud quote:
Nobody cared then. We can not juxtapose today values with those of yesterday. If players knew then, they still wouldn't care. 32 teams worth of players still play knowing full well that they can get hurt and their brains can get scrambled.

Now any time someone can stick a finger in the NFLs eye, I am all for it after this deflategate nonsense, but I am not sure on concussions that the NFL is the only culprit.

The Ivy League has banned tackling in practice.

Could the solution be to get rid of helmets altogether?

I've heard others compare football to rugby and claim that rugby doesn't have the same injury issues. IIRC, the claim is that with no helmet, people keep their head out of harms way and with that protection they are more likely to not be as cautious.

I recognize the games are very different, but could there be some truth to that suggestion?

That's my thought.

As an economist might suggest- a way to reduce car accidents might be to have a driver-facing spear on each steering wheel.

Troy Aikman suggested that years ago. At the time, I thought it was crazy sounding, but I think I agree with him.

I've heard others compare football to rugby and claim that rugby doesn't have the same injury issues. IIRC, the claim is that with no helmet, people keep their head out of harms way and with that protection they are more likely to not be as cautious.

I recognize the games are very different, but could there be some truth to that suggestion?

Interesting thought, but it gets to my point in the sense that the game you would have would be a lot different. Imagine line play without helmets. It's not that it would be better or worse necessarily, but unrecognizable.

EXPN is still endearing themselves to the Patriots I see

This was seen in an ESPN article today entitled "Logos for 10 NFL stars"

Cj4fTpbW0AAU5p3.jpg

EXPN is still endearing themselves to the Patriots I see

This was seen in an ESPN article today entitled "Logos for 10 NFL stars"

Cj4fTpbW0AAU5p3.jpg

That gauge seems to be inaccurate. It is showing a reading of zero (or very close to zero). Why would TB throw a ball with little or no air pressure? That just makes no sense.

Phenomenal article.

I honestly never thought I'd read something so scathing in SI.

:clap:
IF I was running SI I would be championing the fight of Tom Brady against ESPN and their devotion to Goodell's Roger

OR simply remove the face mask and the same basic change would happen - Endorsements and being pretty are important.

Back