Signing Seau... good or bad?

How do you feel about the potiential signing of Seau?

• Bad move by the Pats Seau is all washed up

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Good Signing Junior is still a stud

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The best option the pats have at this time to help at ILB

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • This is a sign that Belichick has lost his mind

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I'd be happier with KenJr at ILB

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
thinking about it maybe he will come in, play a bit and allow the players to develop behind him. I am reaching but a player like Roache, if he is going to make it can learn by watching Seau and Tedy when healthy and not be thrown into the mix

Stretch - yes but I am hoping for a diamond out of this years Rookie/FA signings and like the toughness, football instincts some of them bring. always a fan of the not overly gifted athlete who makes up for it with heart and instincts that players like Bethel Johnson will never have. they are typically tougher players who play for love of it

sonsofkraftybob said:
I voted for Ken Jr.

junior Seau makes me :Eason:
Ditto. I think KenJr has more left in his tank.

BTW, if Seau actually makes the team, our linebackers must be worse than I thought, and I may have to reconsider my prediction of the Patriots going undefeated this year.
________
grape ape marijuana strain

<<
our linebackers must be worse than I thought
>>

Two words - Monty Beisel

:Eason:

Maybe we can ship him off to the Raiders so he can be reunited with Starks.

I don't think this is a good signing, I think it just goes to show how bad the LB situation is right now. The pats bring in a OLB last year to play at ILB and we saw how that played out. This is the same thing. Who's to say that Seau NOW is better than Brown is now. 6-8 years ago I would have loved this signing but not now. The guy is 37, what does he bring exactly other than leadership?

To me this move means that Vrable goes back to the inside and there will be a platoon of guys coming in as a OLB. That being Seau, Brown, TBC and maybe Mincey. If those guys can do an adquate job at OLB then maybe it's a good signing but I am not very excited about it.

As far as what he is going to earn, it was report that it would be for 1 mil. with a bunch of incentives.

I am missing Willie more and more....... :(

Something interesting is that last seasons Team Roster list both Bantacain and Beisel as DE's not LB's. I don't know if that was a typo but the team carried 10lb's plus Bantacain and Beisel listed as DE's

the 10-2005 LB's listed

Bruschi
Vrabel
McGinest
Brown
Chatham
Izzo
Claridge
Alexander
Davis
Colvin

Claridge Chatham and McGinest are now history
Brown wasn't resigned until the first week of camp in 06

I can see it now.....Luau's in the parking lot, pigs roasted on open fires, druken slobs dancing in grass skirts and someone getting stabbed by a sword dancer!

But, then again....that maybe a good thing!

If we can get one tackle for a loss or no gain per game out of Jr. then we are ahead by that much.

Joe must have fallen into a pool of toxic waste or something. He's shrunk about a foot and a half and his left hand appears to be turning into a claw. eeek

I can't vote because there isn't an appropriate option. Seau can play a role. I think it's a good signing, but we're not getting Seau in his prime and it would be wrong to expect that.

It doesn't hurt to sign Seau. He can come off the sidelines and make a couple of plays.

Hawg73 said:
I watched a little of that game. KC looks a little shaky, which those of us that know Herm know is not unusual. I like the Chiefs, but I'd be very afraid if I were you.

Ty Law says your D is "holding back" for the regular season. We'll see. They have to be better than they've looked so far.

I have watched 2 preseason games and have yet to see a first line O or D.....:mad: I never liked Herm and didn't want him as a coach...but will give him a few reg season games before I write him off totally...and as for being afraid on game day...chiefs fan here...done it, did it, and still doing it...:banghead:

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli's not impressed. And, he's a friend of BB's.

Updated: Aug. 18, 2006, 7:00 PM ET
Patriots signing Junior Seau smacks of desperation
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2554068

"It isn't the first time New England has signed a veteran player no one else wanted, and it might not be the last. The addition of Seau, though, smacks of desperation.

And when one considers how the additions New England made last year at linebacker blew up in the Patriots' faces, it compounds the skepticism attached to the signing of Seau and begs this question: Didn't these guys learn anything from the dismal failures of 2005, when they tried to take Chad Brown and Monty Beisel -- a fading former Pro Bowl performer well past his prime years and a career special-teams player, respectively -- and turn them into their latest reclamations?

Dan Pires said:

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2554068

"It isn't the first time New England has signed a veteran player no one else wanted, and it might not be the last. The addition of Seau, though, smacks of desperation.

And when one considers how the additions New England made last year at linebacker blew up in the Patriots' faces, it compounds the skepticism attached to the signing of Seau and begs this question: Didn't these guys learn anything from the dismal failures of 2005, when they tried to take Chad Brown and Monty Beisel -- a fading former Pro Bowl performer well past his prime years and a career special-teams player, respectively -- and turn them into their latest reclamations?

Dunno about the outcome but the difference in Jr and Beisel is experience. Experience counts for a LOT if it fits your scheme.

The Patriots did what? The Patriots signed who?

Was the Jonathon Kraft entourage at his doorstep in Florida the moment he announced retirement?

We have some depth with a veteran who can make 6-8 tackles a game if he's healthy. He is good for the run and thats about it. Role??? Help stop the run.

:banghead:

Dan Pires said:

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Ah, I see. When the Pats took a bunch of castoffs in 2001 and turned them into a Super Bowl team, it was genius. When they stole Corey Dillon for peanuts, people couldn't believe that the SB champs got even better. When they picked up Rodney Harrison, people couldn't believe how stupid San Diego was to let him go.

Now, just because Ted Johnson retired unexpectedly and Tedy Bruschi has had some health troubles, the Pats' moves "smack of desperation".

Hey, Pasquarelli, you fat pantload of sh*t... they never picked up Beisel and Brown last year with the intent of making them the starting middle linebackers. They were supposed to be backup outside linebackers.

Now, if Len "Put The Doughnuts Down And Back Away Slowly" Pasquarelli had some brains, he MIGHT have actually written something intelligent... for example, instead of bringing up the acquisitions of Beisel and Chad Brown LAST season, he could've asked why the Pats didn't improve MLB depth THIS season. Now THERE'S something you can lambast Belichick over, if you'd like. Yes, they hoped Bruschi was well over his stroke troubles, but even with a healthy Bruschi we all pointed to the age at linebacker and said, "Hmm, they need to get younger there." We all expected them to pick up MLB help in the draft... nope, they went offense. We all expected them to sign some FA help... nope, nothing until this Seau move (when they probably could've had Ray Lewis for a bag of footballs and some Ben-Gay... yeah, Lewis is also long in the tooth but, like Seau, he's better than what we've got).

I like this signing. Junior has a ton of experience and empty fingers. B.B. and co. will see what he's got left and put him in positions to make plays. An awesome D- line (which we have) can make a linebacker look awfully good if he knows how to play off them. The thing i never liked about biesel and brown was they just did'nt have enough beef. Not so with junior. He'll be hungry for a ring , knowing full well this is probably his last chance. I look for him to bring every thing he's got. And having the rodney connection is going to help too.

I was undecided until today.

I am completely for this signing.Its an excellent move by the Pats and will do a lot to bring another Lombardy to New England.:dbanana: :dance: :dbanana:

Back