Ski Gear

PatrietteAz

Trouble Needs a Home
Reaction score
Back three lifetimes ago I was an avid skier but living in AZ and the cost of getting to the slopes with 5 people has kept me away from the slopes for almost 10 years. Can some of you skiers recommend clothing that is good/warm/comfy and won't let me slide half way down the hill when I biff?

WE are going to Winter Park for Thanksgiving and going to rent equipment but when we make the move to CO I will also ask about ski equipment.

Thanks!

bad-ski-outfit5.jpg

bad-ski-outfit8.jpg

bad-ski-outfit25.jpg

bad-ski-outfit28.jpg

bad-ski-outfit34.jpg

bad-ski-outfit38.jpg

bad-ski-outfit42.jpg

Eddie Bauer, North Face and Eastern Mountain Sports are all good, expensive but good and all are available on line. I do not ski any more but until my surgery and strokes last fall I did winter hikes and would recommend Eastern Mountain Sports gear, it is superb with Eddie Bauer a close second. North Face is more like what you can find in a Modells or Dick's Sporting Goods but it is still very high quality stuff. Hope that this helps.:thumb:

I can recall years ago I went to visit my brother in CO and we went skiing at WP.

He told me that we should go to the bar and have 1 beer before we started in the morning.

I looked at him funny and said "why? If we're going to the bar, let's go to the bar. If we're going skiing, let's go skiing."

"Trust me"

So we went to the bar, had one beer and got on the lifts.

By the time we got to the summit, I was hammered due to the pressure change from altitude. As I skied down I sobered up. Took the lift back up, got hammered again.

I won't bother to explain the results of our experiments on keeping things lit as we went through Berthoud pass. :coffee:

REI is an excellent source for good outdoor clothing and gear. You pay a one-time fee (I think it's 15.00) At the end of the year you get a rebate(usually 10%) on any full price items you've bought. Their own house brands are excellent quality, and they also have an extensive selection of brands like Mountain Hardware, Marmot, Columbia, etc.

Also, you should follow the daily deals at SteepandCheap
They put up one deal at a time until they've sold out or reached a time limit. They have a lot of incredible bargains on gear and clothing. The site is run by backcountry.com, which is another site worth checking out.

Modern materials have made a big difference in staying comfortable on the slopes. You no longer need to wear bulky, restrictive clothing. It's all about layers. Invest in some really good long underwear (Hot Chilies or something comparable). A selection of microfleeces and fleeces will allow you to tailor your mid layers to the current conditions.
For outer layer, there's 2 ways to go. What's known as "softshell" is the most comfortable in most conditions. They provide a decent amount of water/wind resistance, and a high degree of breathability and moveability. If you plan on doing most of your skiing when the weather is nice, you might want to go with something like that.

The more traditional hard shells consist of materials like GoreTex. They will keep you protected in the more severe conditions.

Also invest in some quality ski socks. They do not need to be thick and bulky. You do not want to wear more than 1 pair at a time in your ski boots.

I'd highly recommend you get yourself a good helmet. The ones these days are very lightweight and comfortable. I find mine more comfortable than wearing a hat. They also keep your noggin warm, and most have adjustable vents so they'll be comfortable in cold and warm weather.

Pick up a thermal face mask and neck gator. Your face will thank you on the chairlift when the wind is blasting.

For your hands, mittens are warmer than gloves, but that's a personal preference.

If you have one of those 1 piece outfits that were popular back in the day, feel free to wear that...especially if it makes you look smokin' hot. Just be prepared to hear the phrase "Hey Lady, nice fartbag!" on every lift ride. Trust me.

You want to avoid wearing anything cotton while skiing. Cotton will not wick away moisture like the high tech synthetics, leaving you cold, wet, and miserable...or worse.

Another warning. Wearing a Starter jacket will subject you to ridicule on the slopes. "Gaper" is not a compliment.

My most critical piece of advice: Purchase a really comfortable bed and pillows for your guest room. And a bunch of foam earplugs for you and your family. I tend to snore rather loudly (or so I've been told)

Thanks SOO much DKM! I had looked at REI but their prices seemed high. The rebate thing sounds excellent since I guess we are moving there(ugh) and if I have to live in that climate and going to ski my ass off.

The last outifit I had about 10 years ago WAS a one piece black pants and lotsa colors on the top..hehee how did you know? It actually worked REALLY well but I got rid of it some time ago because I wasn't skiing and yeah..it would be as bad as wearing shoulder pads and leg warmers out to dance.:)

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. Will shop today and not looking forward to outfitting FIVE people with all this stuff but oh well.

Dropkick forgot to mention the key piece of clothing in his skiing fashion ensemble.

Don't forget to wear a pair of baggy, saggy, ugly sweatpant things that look like something you would wear when you stay home from work with the flu.

Forget his advice and buy yourself a Northface Denali jacket that is extremely fashionable with the ladies these days (although it will run you about 165 bucks) a couple of layers of micro-fiber quick-dry jersies and yoga pants.

The Denali isn't warm enough by itself, but with some extra layers it will be fine and you could actually wear it on cool nights in the desert without sweating to death.

I'm telling you that when we go skiing around the northeast every other ski-bunny you see is sporting one. Very popular and chictacular.

Thanks SOO much DKM! I had looked at REI but their prices seemed high. The rebate thing sounds excellent since I guess we are moving there(ugh) and if I have to live in that climate and going to ski my ass off.

The last outifit I had about 10 years ago WAS a one piece black pants and lotsa colors on the top..hehee how did you know? It actually worked REALLY well but I got rid of it some time ago because I wasn't skiing and yeah..it would be as bad as wearing shoulder pads and leg warmers out to dance.:)

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. Will shop today and not looking forward to outfitting FIVE people with all this stuff but oh well.
REI also has an outle store online, where they sell prior year's stuff at a good discount.

They also have good sales several times a year (although you don't get the rebate on sales items).

I bet you were quite the sight in your black 'n rainbow fartbag!

Dropkick forgot to mention the key piece of clothing in his skiing fashion ensemble.

Don't forget to wear a pair of baggy, saggy, ugly sweatpant things that look like something you would wear when you stay home from work with the flu.

Forget his advice and buy yourself a Northface Denali jacket that is extremely fashionable with the ladies these days (although it will run you about 165 bucks) a couple of layers of micro-fiber quick-dry jersies and yoga pants.

The Denali isn't warm enough by itself, but with some extra layers it will be fine and you could actually wear it on cool nights in the desert without sweating to death.

I'm telling you that when we go skiing around the northeast every other ski-bunny you see is sporting one. Very popular and chictacular.

Don't listen to Hawg. He's a gaper that skis in jeans and Starter jacket.

REI also has an outle store online, where they sell prior year's stuff at a good discount.

They also have good sales several times a year (although you don't get the rebate on sales items).

I bet you were quite the sight in your black 'n rainbow fartbag!

ROFL You have no idea how much this tickles me funny bone. :)

Hawg, I am not a ski bunny! I was a ski bum for two years straight (Breckendrige then Zermatt) and of all athletic things in life I have done I was probably best at skiing because I did it so much for so many years.

BUT, there is no reason you can't kill moguls and look good having drinks afterwards too.:)

Hawg, I am not a ski bunny! I was a ski bum for two years straight (Breckendrige then Zermatt) and of all athletic things in life I have done I was probably best at skiing because I did it so much for so many years.

BUT, there is no reason you can't kill moguls and look good having drinks afterwards too.:)

If you're into moguls, I hear WP/Mary Jane is the place to be.

I used the term as a general descriptor of a female that skis and not as something that applies to somebody that doesn't know what they are doing. It is one of my flaws that I like colorful phrases and sometimes fail to assign them properly. My apology for that and no offense was intended, but that is one damn good-looking jacket whether the wearer shreds the diamonds with skill or takes two runs down the bunny slope and then retires to the lodge.

Dropkick talked me into going to the ski show in Boston last week and we then took in two different ski movies, both of which were spectacular. I was both inspired and terrified by some of the runs I witnessed, particularly those where the skiier was dropped by a helicopter on a remote, jagged peak in Alaska of which the summit was about the diameter of a kiddie pool. Somehow, they were able to put their skis on and, unbelievably, drop over the edge and ski slopes that were all but vertical. This action was captured from the copter and also from their own helmet cams and when they looked straight down into the sheer abyss the effect was pure vertigo.

When I got home I started thinking about that and had a delayed reaction of pure terror. I couldn't get to sleep.

God, I can't wait to ski.

If you're into moguls, I hear WP/Mary Jane is the place to be.

A realtor we are working with told me this too..not sure it is open yet since it is early in the season. I will need a few warm up runs for sure since it has been close to 10 years. I hope it is like riding a bicycle!:thumb:

Back