Stupid presser questions

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
How much freedom do the TE's have?

A. We're not really in that program where guys go out there and do whatever they feel like.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

What a man crush i got for coach.

Cheers

Q. "Any update on Dominique Easley?"

BB. "No...." (with a smile) "I know you expected one."

Q. "Any update on Dominique Easley?"

BB. "No...." (with a smile) "I know you expected one."

I listened to most of the BB presser on my way home. He was unusually talkative, down right friendly. Almost every question was met with a reasonable answer rather than a grunt.

Is this the new BB? :shrug:

I listened to most of the BB presser on my way home. He was unusually talkative, down right friendly. Almost every question was met with a reasonable answer rather than a grunt.

His doppelganger. The real BB was with Chrissy Tiegan. (sp) :)

I think he was being as nice as pie because of the NFL's mess up with the radios. Yup he loved that issue coming up.

Agreed.

I think Bill may have come to the conclusion that toying with the media has gotten to the point where his unpopularity may actually be reflecting on the team itself and he is trying to tone it down and actually provide a sort of tit-for-tat to take some of the heat off.

You couldn't see it, but there was some sort of loud banging noise taking place off to his right throughout his presser and Bill was shooting WTF glances over there periodically, but kept his cool. You could see it was annoying him, but he kept a lid on it. I'm sure if he blew his stack at whatever it was then the media would seize upon that as the most important thing and completely ignore his relative candor.

Not that he was an open book. Somebody asked him about the O-line rotation-- which was crazy all night, imo -- and he answered something to the effect that he likes to rotate guys in and out based on "packages". If that is true then it's pretty much unprecedented to frequently swap out your Oline personnel from drive to drive in that way.

I didn't know if guys were hurt or what, but finally I figured out that it was Andrews and Solder on every play and the other three spots rotated in and out constantly. Cannon did finally sub in for Solder late, but I thought it was a wrinkle that bears watching moving forward to see if that's really a thing or not.

Apparently, the old ways of letting your Oline get used to playing with each other for consistency might be out the window.

Agreed.

I think Bill may have come to the conclusion that toying with the media has gotten to the point where his unpopularity may actually be reflecting on the team itself and he is trying to tone it down and actually provide a sort of tit-for-tat to take some of the heat off.

You couldn't see it, but there was some sort of loud banging noise taking place off to his right throughout his presser and Bill was shooting WTF glances over there periodically, but kept his cool. You could see it was annoying him, but he kept a lid on it. I'm sure if he blew his stack at whatever it was then the media would seize upon that as the most important thing and completely ignore his relative candor.

Being in the car and listening on the radio, I couldn't get the body language. But his tone was very different. Perhaps we're seeing a new BB, beginning with the unusual access he gave to NFL Films. I agree that he may be trying to help his team by making the media more freindly, Given that BB is a big history guy, perhaps he's also thinking of his legacy and trying to allow people to see the real person.

Agreed.

Not that he was an open book. Somebody asked him about the O-line rotation-- which was crazy all night, imo -- and he answered something to the effect that he likes to rotate guys in and out based on "packages". If that is true then it's pretty much unprecedented to frequently swap out your Oline personnel from drive to drive in that way.

I didn't know if guys were hurt or what, but finally I figured out that it was Andrews and Solder on every play and the other three spots rotated in and out constantly. Cannon did finally sub in for Solder late, but I thought it was a wrinkle that bears watching moving forward to see if that's really a thing or not.

Apparently, the old ways of letting your Oline get used to playing with each other for consistency might be out the window.

To be honest, and I've never played O line so I cant be sure, doesn't it seem to make the most sense of all positional groups to rotate in?

They do it in every skill group. They do it in every defensive position. The fatties on the other side are swapped continuously.

Why have the O line, possibly the least or second to least physically capable group, play an entire game? Add to it they're young. They all need reps. It is a built in safeguard for having the next man up being ready.

Makes sense to me.

Being in the car and listening on the radio, I couldn't get the body language. But his tone was very different. Perhaps we're seeing a new BB, beginning with the unusual access he gave to NFL Films. I agree that he may be trying to help his team by making the media more freindly, Given that BB is a big history guy, perhaps he's also thinking of his legacy and trying to allow people to see the real person.

I think it was a win. His exonerated QB played near perfect. A tough opponent is in the wake. '15 is on. Butler was truly tested.

And they came out on top.

First game with signs of lackadaisical play or a loss and grumpy snorting lungey Bill will appear.

We're just going to have to wait and see if this is really a strategy on his part or if he was simply in a good mood after a win.

If he does the same thing after a loss or for a few weeks straight then we have our answer, but I think if it is purposeful then it is a smart idea for him to play it that way for a change.

Far as history goes, I'm not so sure. BB does love him some NFL history. In fact, one his big quotes goes something like "in the end all you have is your name and reputation" but he's done very little to ever enhance that reputation by playing nice with the writers AKA HOF voters. He has always seemed to want that name and reputation to stand on his football acumen alone, but I always thought he sort of shoots himself in the foot with his stubborness to not give the media a little more than he usually does. I love the guy, but sometimes his prickliness is unnecessary.

I think he can find a way to tear down the wall without giving away competitive info, i.e., injuries and specifics. Maybe we'll see some that going forward, but we're onto Buffalo now and nobody is going to give much of a shit what Bill thinks this week with Rex on the docket.

Whatever Bill is, Rex is the exact opposite.

To be honest, and I've never played O line so I cant be sure, doesn't it seem to make the most sense of all positional groups to rotate in?

They do it in every skill group. They do it in every defensive position. The fatties on the other side are swapped continuously.

Why have the O line, possibly the least or second to least physically capable group, play an entire game? Add to it they're young. They all need reps. It is a built in safeguard for having the next man up being ready.

Makes sense to me.

Somebody feel free to enlighten me, but I don't believe there is a team in the NFL that rotates their OLs THAT much. It's considered paramount to be in synch with the guy next to you to become cohesive and play as a unit. That is considered Oline 101. I thought that the extent to which we mixed things up was worth noting given the number of rookies we are working with. Maybe it's to give guys live feedback and correction in the middle of a game. I don't really know if it could be more than just keeping guys fresher.

I'll watch it again to see if my first impression was on target or not.

In general, I thought Vollmer and Tre Jackson were solid all night and Solder and especially Kline struggled quite a bit. I think Cannon messed up on Gay's safety blitz for a sack that could have been key and the protection was worse than Brady made it look with quick reads and releases. He didn't have anywhere near the time Ben did. Andrews didn't make any obvious mistakes and played better than anybody has a right to expect in his first real game. You could clearly see his lack of power on the first Brady sneak when he got driven back, but overall he wasn't a weak link.

As good as he looked outside of the fumble Dion Lewis also made some mental mistakes in blocking which he'll have to get straightened out.

Maybe BB is experimenting with multiple units playing cohesively :shrug:

Somebody feel free to enlighten me, but I don't believe there is a team in the NFL that rotates their OLs THAT much. It's considered paramount to be in synch with the guy next to you to become cohesive and play as a unit. That is considered Oline 101. I thought that the extent to which we mixed things up was worth noting given the number of rookies we are working with. Maybe it's to give guys live feedback and correction in the middle of a game. I don't really know if it could be more than just keeping guys fresher.

I'll watch it again to see if my first impression was on target or not.

In general, I thought Vollmer and Tre Jackson were solid all night and Solder and especially Kline struggled quite a bit. I think Cannon messed up on Gay's safety blitz for a sack that could have been key and the protection was worse than Brady made it look with quick reads and releases. He didn't have anywhere near the time Ben did. Andrews didn't make any obvious mistakes and played better than anybody has a right to expect in his first real game. You could clearly see his lack of power on the first Brady sneak when he got driven back, but overall he wasn't a weak link.

As good as he looked outside of the fumble Dion Lewis also made some mental mistakes in blocking which he'll have to get straightened out.

I don't think anybody does rotate in like this. I'm just saying from a theoretical perspective it makes total sense.

As a positional group, does it make sense having your starting 5 play all 60-70 snaps? And have your backups literally sitting? For the sake of "sync"? Can they not develop that with camp, first team practice reps, and then 50+ snaps and allow the reserves the feel of live fire? Then, when one of the starting 5 sprains an ankle and is out 3 weeks your not plugging in a guy who's only watched 3-400 plays.

The logic seems to be there.

I don't think anybody does rotate in like this. I'm just saying from a theoretical perspective it makes total sense.

As a positional group, does it make sense having your starting 5 play all 60-70 snaps? And have your backups literally sitting? For the sake of "sync"? Can they not develop that with camp, first team practice reps, and then 50+ snaps and allow the reserves the feel of live fire? Then, when one of the starting 5 sprains an ankle and is out 3 weeks your not plugging in a guy who's only watched 3-400 plays.

The logic seems to be there.

Perhaps it's a new idea being tried out. The guys are well coached and there seems to be an awful lot of coaching assts. working about. Sorta stay ahead of the curve kinda thing.

Perhaps it's a new idea being tried out. The guys are well coached and there seems to be an awful lot of coaching assts. working about. Sorta stay ahead of the curve kinda thing.

That's what I'm thinking.

Having more players ready at a seconds notice not coming in like they've been on ice.

Plus BB probably told 'em: "If your drawing a paycheck you better be performing for me!" ....or I'll find someone who will!

Maybe BB is experimenting with multiple units playing cohesively :shrug:

IIRC that was a big issue with the OL early last year too rotating to find the 5 best guys/making sure guys are ready.
I think it could be one way BB copes with the ludicrous practice rules. I also think it's not something you want to do without a QB like TB who is all knowing and all seeing and gets the ball out fast.

Makes sense to me.

It's unusual because unlike other positions OL requires multiple members of the same unit to be in sync with each other and trust each other. You don't build that chemistry/trust by constantly switching guys in and out.

It's not much of a surprise that the staff is trying to sort out the interior OL issues, but in the long run they will absolutely settle on a starting five. They might rotate Mason or whoever it was at FB in certain jumbo packages but that's about it.

Solder - Wendell - Stork - Mason - Vollmer is IMO what we will see in the playoffs baring injuries.

Back