Stupid presser questions

So you're saying five guys can build chemistry with each other, but six guys or seven guys cannot.

What makes the number five so special?

And what about the tight ends - sometimes they have to block. Is their chemistry with the other members of the offensive line not important?

Well I'd think that there are normally 5 OL on the field for every play is a major factor in choosing that number.

If you only have five on the field at a time, then the other one or two guy(s) on the sideline can't possibly gain any chemistry on those plays.

Anybody know what's up with Wendell??

Thought I saw on the crawl that he was ill......

yes I am.

I m saying that 5 players in the same position along the offensive line will work, as a unit, better than a rotating group.

Look at the rotation used the 1st 4 games of last season, it was not until they put Stork in the center position with Wendell and Connolly at guards did the OLine begin to solidify and it was a work in progress during the season.

and TE are not linemen, very few can take on a DE without help, they may chip him, holding the block for a count before releasing him but they are there with help behind them.

I guess with your expanding line I could say what about WR's or FB's too? they are called to block correct?

but that is just deflecting from the fact an offensive line is a unit, 5 of them work together.

going old bastard lineman on you, having played mostly a little of both Center and TE, knowing who was beside me and his strengths and weakness, what he could do or couldn't do, was helpful. If I hesitate because of unfamiliarity the QB is going to be on his ass.

you can disagree but the better OLines in history were 5 guys, start to finish.

Old school.

That's the point I'm at least trying to make. What percentage of teams has their top 5 OL remain healthy start to finish in this modern NFL? Few I'd guess.

So do you want the reserves coming in for the 3rd quarter of game 5 with no reps? And figure it out on the fly?

I think a couple of series a game is a great idea, and then play the bulk if we're fortunate enough to have a big lead.

Agreed.

I think Bill may have come to the conclusion that toying with the media has gotten to the point where his unpopularity may actually be reflecting on the team itself and he is trying to tone it down and actually provide a sort of tit-for-tat to take some of the heat off.

You couldn't see it, but there was some sort of loud banging noise taking place off to his right throughout his presser and Bill was shooting WTF glances over there periodically, but kept his cool. You could see it was annoying him, but he kept a lid on it. I'm sure if he blew his stack at whatever it was then the media would seize upon that as the most important thing and completely ignore his relative candor.

Not that he was an open book. Somebody asked him about the O-line rotation-- which was crazy all night, imo -- and he answered something to the effect that he likes to rotate guys in and out based on "packages". If that is true then it's pretty much unprecedented to frequently swap out your Oline personnel from drive to drive in that way.

I didn't know if guys were hurt or what, but finally I figured out that it was Andrews and Solder on every play and the other three spots rotated in and out constantly. Cannon did finally sub in for Solder late, but I thought it was a wrinkle that bears watching moving forward to see if that's really a thing or not.

Apparently, the old ways of letting your Oline get used to playing with each other for consistency might be out the window.

Last year, I seem to recall he rotated the o-line a lot the first month, until he settled on who the 5 starters would be.

Well I'd think that there are normally 5 OL on the field for every play is a major factor in choosing that number.

If you only have five on the field at a time, then the other one or two guy(s) on the sideline can't possibly gain any chemistry on those plays.

The link to this article was posted in another thread - apparently I'm not the only one who thinks that there's nothing special about the number five, or that linemen can't improve while being on the sideline.

The link to this article was posted in another thread - apparently I'm not the only one who thinks that there's nothing special about the number five, or that linemen can't improve while being on the sideline.

None of us really know why, but we can all speculate. I expect BBs reasons are numerous, but a couple/few reasons probably lead the pack. Player development, especially considering rookies, giving them real in game action. Player evaluation looking for who the best groups/players/combinations are. Building depth that has actual in game experience.

BTW, it is easy to like or accept out of the box thinking when it is working.

"Improving" isn't the same as gaining chemistry with the other OL.

yes, the coach can talk to them on the sideline and review photos while the others are on the field, but that won't let them work with the other OL to get their timing and distribution of tasks down.

I think what BB is doing is a direct result of the rule changes regarding full contact practices.

No more two a days, limited number of practices with full pads and hitting means there is simply a lot less time for these things to be done in practice.

So the only other way to get the same number of full contact reps that he used to be able to do in TC and practice is to put these guys in the game.

If after game 4 or so, he settles on a base 5, like he did last year, then IMHO, that would be strong evidence for my suggestion.

Since I don't watch college football, I found Trent Dilfer's observation this morning on Mike & Mike quite interesting. He said that OL in college simply do not go forward anymore. They go laterally and backwards. So they are not NFL ready. Couple that with the fewer practices and it is even more understandable why OLs look so crap early one on a lot of teams.

Back