Super Bowl Winning QBs and their Salaries, a retrospective

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
I dissected the data that I could find regarding QBs, their cap hits, and so forth in the era of free agency, to see if the arguments I've seen flying around that the Seahawks were removing themselves from contention with the new salary for Wilson held merit. Here's what I found:

In the last 16 years, someone named Tom Brady or someone on their 1st, Rookie Contract, won the Super Bowl 10 times. 5 of those are Brady, 5 were on their Rookie Contract (Roethlisberger in 2005, Eli Manning in 2007, Flacco in 2012, Wilson in 2013, Wentz* in 2017).

The other 6 QBs to have won were on veteran contracts, Peyton Manning (twice), Eli Manning in 2011, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees. Which is to say, if they're not on a rookie contract, they had better be an "elite" QB, or named Eli Manning and facing the Patriots for some reason.

From 2008, the first year I could find comprehensive QB salary data, only 1 QB in the top 5 highest paid QBs won the Super Bowl, and that was Eli Manning in 2011, who was exactly the 5th highest paid QB that year.

Tom Brady last year set new records for highest paid QB to win the Super Bowl, and highest percentage of cap eaten while winning the Super Bowl, at $22 Million and 12.4% of the cap, all while being the 11th highest paid QB. The ONLY QBs to win a Super Bowl while absorbing 10% or more of their team's Salary Cap in the last 16 years are Peyton Manning (Twice), Tom Brady (Twice), and Eli Manning in 2011, which again is an aberration on so many levels.

The lowest percentage of cap and salary QB to win a Super Bowl in that time is Russell Wilson, who won while being paid $0.6 Million, which was not only the 53rd highest paid QB in the league, it was less than his backup was making.

Finally, it's not like high paid QBs haven't made the Super Bowl. Peyton Manning in 2009 set records for highest percentage of cap to reach the Super Bowl, as the highest paid QB that year with a $21.2 Million salary worth 17.2% of the cap. He just lost that Super Bowl to Brees. He again was in the top 5 highest paid QBs (3rd highest) in 2013 when reaching the Super Bowl vs the Seahawks, at 14.2% of the cap, before his team got embarrassed by the team led by someone absorbing 0.6% of the cap. Matt Ryan was the 3rd highest paid QB, and would have set records with his $23 million, 15.3% of the cap contract had he won, and he was wildly ahead. But Tom Brady is Tom Brady, the Patriots are the Patriots, and that's not how it played out.

It hasn't been all high paid QBs losing in the Super Bowl either, of course. The Rams made it with someone on a rookie contract, the Seahawks did too. In the last 10 years, the average cap hit of the QB on the Losing teams has only been 9.78%, compared to the cap of the QB on the winning teams being on average 8.27%. However, the contract sums for the top paid QBs have been ballooning to amounts wildly disproportionate to that. In 2008, at 6.9%, Roethlisberger was the 10th highest paid QB. In 2018, at 12.4%, Brady was the 11th highest.

The highest paid QB in 2018, Jimmy Garoppolo, was absorbing 20.9% of his team's total cap space. They finished with a record of 4-12. Of course, he was hurt. Rounding out the top 5 you had Matt Stafford (6-10), Derek Carr (4-12), Joe Flacco (10-6, but they went 4-5 under Flacco before he was injured, and then went 6-1 under a QB on a rookie contract while he was hurt), and Andrew Luck (10-6, made it to the playoffs, before being eliminated by a team with a QB on a rookie contract).

So what does all this mean? Have the Seahawks cemented their fate, and will they join the Lions, the Raiders, the 49ers, and Packers of the world, and sign a massive contract for their franchise QB only to languish and miss the playoffs? Perhaps. They were on the decline already and this makes it even more difficult to reload, and they only have 4 draft picks this year. Yet perhaps not. Russell Wilson IS an elite QB, and elite QBs have gone to and won Super Bowls even while absorbing a disproportionately high percentage of his team's cap space. If anyone can do it, it's someone like him. One thing is for sure, though- it will be an uphill battle to do so, and if he manages to win it with the kind of percentage of the cap he'll be absorbing, it would be the highest cap percentage for a Super Bowl winning QB of all time. Interestingly, that would make him both the highest and lowest percentage of the cap for a Super Bowl winning QB in the salary cap era. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Seattle fucked up... They should have seen what he could do this season. I don't understand why a team would be so proud to pay this guy or that guy or who the fuck ever the most money ever. What does that win them?

Seattle fucked up... They should have seen what he could do this season. I don't understand why a team would be so proud to pay this guy or that guy or who the fuck ever the most money ever. What does that win them?

Fans, ticket sales, apparel sales. It is a business after all. Other than Russell Wilson, who on the Seahawks is a household name at this point? Sure, winning another Super Bowl would be great, but putting forth an exciting, competitive product which maintains the interest of their viewership is priority #1. Moving away from a known quantity, an elite QB who won a Super Bowl, to someone who makes sense from an economics standpoint would be perceived by the fan base as "giving up", and if the team is giving up why shouldn't they?

That the fans would be wholly incorrect in their perception doesn't matter at all. The majority of the teams in the league make decisions which aren't really about competing to win a championship, they're about not being embarrassed week in and week out on the field, and making safe decisions that appeal to their fans. The Seahawks are just joining that "soft middle" is all, as far as I can see at least.

Just imagine if Brady was all about being the highest paid qb...he would have been punted by BB a LONG time ago. That, or BB would be somewhere else (via Babooshka Bobby)...

Just imagine if Brady was all about being the highest paid qb...he would have been punted by BB a LONG time ago. That, or BB would be somewhere else (via Babooshka Bobby)...

BB laid the law down long ago that TB was on a restricted cap level to make certain TB had winning players around him. TB understood, obviously, and TB has been paid well even though he hasn't been paid at the highest of levels. TB has 6 SB rings to make up the difference. And records galore. After all his success, he'll have no regrets when he hangs em up.

According to Spotrac, Brady has earned $212,166,804 in cash over his 19-year career. He's also due $15M more in 2019
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...act-gisele-patriots/6t5zoa1yx6t61wgaxrs46d57b

Seattle gave in to Wilson and will be paying him mad money. Personally I don't believe he is 4 year $140 million good but that's just my opinion.

Thanks to the four-year, $140 million extension, Wilson, who has been one of the NFL's best players since his rookie season, is now tied contractually to Seattle through the 2023 season. Thanks to a no-trade clause that helped persuade the quarterback to finalize the agreement, the odds have increased dramatically that Wilson will spend at least the bulk of his career in Seattle.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-contract-keeps-seahawks-qb-where-he-belongs

Spotrac‏Verified account @spotrac <small class="time"> </small>
Not a bad way to start the year… Patrick Mahomes’ baseline valuation is now just north of Russell Wilson’s $35M AAV mark. He’ll become extension-eligible after 2019. The <s>#</s>Chiefs are currently working to extend WR Tyreek Hill, & DE Chris Jones.

Meanwhile, Tyreek Hill is still under investigation for 2 separate child abuse incidents in the last month.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter <small class="time"> </small><small class="time">Apr 15</small> <small class="time"> </small>
Chiefs’ WR Tyreek Hill will be in attendance at the start of the Chiefs’ offseason workout program today, per source. Police have been investigating two incidents of suspected child abuse at Hill’s home last month.

You guys R spoiled. You don't let franchise QB's get away.

It makes me wonder....if Belichick had one of these high-priced qb's-could he mold them into what he wants, and still win big? They went 11-5 with Matt Cassel. Although they beat 4 scrub teams at the end to get that 11-5. Anyway, there has been no better qb than Brady, he's a winner, and the Belichick-Brady combo is special. Belichick is a football genius, and Brady is extremely talented physically and mentally. They can both make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

In couple of years, we may see Belichick excel with a different qb. Somebody we've practically haven't heard of, or maybe someone who is a current starter for another team. On the other hand, George Blanda helped the Raiders win when he was in his mid-40's, kind of like a Hoyt Wilhelm in baseball. So there is still hope for this youngster Brady...btw, is he signed just through the 2020 season?

Spotrac‏Verified account @spotrac <small class="time"> </small>
Not a bad way to start the year… Patrick Mahomes’ baseline valuation is now just north of Russell Wilson’s $35M AAV mark. He’ll become extension-eligible after 2019. The <s>#</s>Chiefs are currently working to extend WR Tyreek Hill, & DE Chris Jones.

Meanwhile, Tyreek Hill is still under investigation for 2 separate child abuse incidents in the last month.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter <small class="time"> </small><small class="time">Apr 15</small> <small class="time"> </small>
Chiefs’ WR Tyreek Hill will be in attendance at the start of the Chiefs’ offseason workout program today, per source. Police have been investigating two incidents of suspected child abuse at Hill’s home last month.

Wow.

Don’t rush boys.

BB laid the law down long ago that TB was on a restricted cap level to make certain TB had winning players around him. TB understood, obviously, and TB has been paid well even though he hasn't been paid at the highest of levels. TB has 6 SB rings to make up the difference. And records galore. After all his success, he'll have no regrets when he hangs em up.

According to Spotrac, Brady has earned $212,166,804 in cash over his 19-year career. He's also due $15M more in 2019
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...act-gisele-patriots/6t5zoa1yx6t61wgaxrs46d57b

That 212 mil equates out to 11 mil a year. Brees and Rodgers have that much in their couch cushions. What BB (laid down the law) about is nice and all, but you would still have to get the QB to go along with it, and I would seriously doubt many would. For perspective Brees has made 221 mil in 18 years, Peyton made 248 mil in 19 years, Eli has made 235 mil in 16 years. That's the 3 highest, Brees will break Mannings record this year and be at 249 mil in 19 years. Of course all of these will be shattered if guys like Rodgers, and Wilson, etc play that long.

That 212 mil equates out to 11 mil a year. Brees and Rodgers have that much in their couch cushions. What BB (laid down the law) about is nice and all, but you would still have to get the QB to go along with it, and I would seriously doubt many would. For perspective Brees has made 221 mil in 18 years, Peyton made 248 mil in 19 years, Eli has made 235 mil in 16 years. That's the 3 highest, Brees will break Mannings record this year and be at 249 mil in 19 years. Of course all of these will be shattered if guys like Rodgers, and Wilson, etc play that long.

Peyton and Brees are contemporaries of TB so those are good comparisons.
(I discard comparisons with Eli bc he's been grossly overpaid and kept on too long by a loyal owner who loves him for those 2 SB wins.)

Rodgers & Wilson came later with the inflated cap. In their case % of cap may be a better comparison.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/af283d/percentage_of_salary_cap_taken_up_by_super_bowl/

edit: Here's an article that determines how much $ TB could have made with a max contract every time. Keep in mind, every time TB restructured he pocketed oodles of cash up front as a signing bonus - that counts and adds up.
https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7

Peyton and Brees are contemporaries of TB so those are good comparisons.
(I discard comparisons with Eli bc he's been grossly overpaid and kept on too long by a loyal owner who loves him for those 2 SB wins.)

Rodgers & Wilson came later with the inflated cap. In their case % of cap may be a better comparison.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/af283d/percentage_of_salary_cap_taken_up_by_super_bowl/

edit: Here's an article that determines how much $ TB could have made with a max contract every time. Keep in mind, every time TB restructured he pocketed oodles of cash up front as a signing bonus - that counts and adds up.
https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7

You are correct about Peyton and Brees being the ones to compare because they played the same time and length, but the one part of that is....Mike Vick. 2 100 mil contracts. He started in 2004 only 3 years after Brady, so Brady was in the wheel house, that's the one that gets me. Brady never had a 100 mil contract total value wise.

I mean teams can move numbers around and such, but if a QB plays out his contract and does not get cut, they make every cent of their contract. Its really amazing what these guys are getting paid now, and with every staggering contract, its only going to go up. That is why I said no team or QB will ever do what the pats and Brady have done consistently over that many years and its not really about how good they are, but because they both were willing to do it, the team and the QB.

By the way, I had never seen that chart of cap pct, great find, but why did they skip 2010?

2010 was an uncapped year. Not sure why, CBA renegotiation? No idea. But there was no cap, so there's no cap %. Some sites and articles have shown QB salaries by percentage of team payroll for that year, but it's difficult to find comprehensive data, and it would not be congruous with the rest of the data anyway

Back