T. Owens

It was pretty obvious he was a little unstable during his career. I just hope he doesn't end up :suicide:

He was unbeleivably talented, but not worth the trouble.

It is terribly tragic. No one should ever feel so desolate.

Couldn't happen to a nicer douchebag

So I'm supposed to feel bad for a guy who banged a bunch of chicks, barely sees 3 of his kids and has never met one of them??? Who has always been a doosh and managed to blow through 80 million????

ROFLROFLROFL

Couldn't happen to a better guy.

So I'm supposed to feel bad for a guy who banged a bunch of chicks, barely sees 3 of his kids and has never met one of them??? Who has always been a doosh and managed to blow through 80 million????

ROFLROFLROFL

Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Let me warn you that I"m going to disagree with you here.

First, as a young pro athlete, there are so many women that see a payday out there, that throw themselves at guys, that swear they take the pill, but all they see is the 15 minutes of being able to say they fvcked an athlete and the payday that getting pregnant brings with it. Some teams have counselors in place to prepare these youngs guys for things like this, and some teams don't. I remember watching Deion Sanders in a classroom specifically talking about this to a bunch of college ball seniors that were about to hit the combine. He was very specific and even brought in a beautiful female to talk about it with him. That was about two years ago. When TO started in this league some 17 years ago, I'm pretty sure they didn't have any of the "be prepared" sit-downs like they do now.

Pro athletes pay a good sum of their salaries to their agents and managers. Their managers help them to manage their money, make investments, and not blow it all. Unfortunately, so many of them are vultures, find legal ways to "embezzle" the money or siphon it into investments favorable to them or just plain make bad investments. And, yes, the athletes trust them and don't keep track of what's going on. This is not the first time we've heard about an athlete or an actor or some other celebrity losing everything by virtue of their trusted investment adviser. I can't blame him for this.

None of us know how much the women are keeping or kept him from seeing these kids. We all know the stories about "You pay me or you can't see little Terrell". I'm not saying maybe he didn't try hard enough, but there probably wasn't too much cooperation, either.

Now, you might not like the guy, but there are different sides to the story. I actually feel pretty bad for him.

First, as a young pro athlete, there are so many women that see a payday out there, that throw themselves at guys, that swear they take the pill, but all they see is the 15 minutes of being able to say they fvcked an athlete and the payday that getting pregnant brings with it. Some teams have counselors in place to prepare these youngs guys for things like this, and some teams don't. I remember watching Deion Sanders in a classroom specifically talking about this to a bunch of college ball seniors that were about to hit the combine. He was very specific and even brought in a beautiful female to talk about it with him. That was about two years ago. When TO started in this league some 17 years ago, I'm pretty sure they didn't have any of the "be prepared" sit-downs like they do now.

Pro athletes pay a good sum of their salaries to their agents and managers. Their managers help them to manage their money, make investments, and not blow it all. Unfortunately, so many of them are vultures, find legal ways to "embezzle" the money or siphon it into investments favorable to them or just plain make bad investments. And, yes, the athletes trust them and don't keep track of what's going on. This is not the first time we've heard about an athlete or an actor or some other celebrity losing everything by virtue of their trusted investment adviser. I can't blame him for this.

None of us know how much the women are keeping or kept him from seeing these kids. We all know the stories about "You pay me or you can't see little Terrell". I'm not saying maybe he didn't try hard enough, but there probably wasn't too much cooperation, either.

Now, you might not like the guy, but there are different sides to the story. I actually feel pretty bad for him.
Oh, I totally get the trap the athlete thing and am well aware that there are plenty of disgusting women out there looking to "get paid". BUT! 4! 4 of them Lisa. After the 1st 1 or 2, maybe you take a break???:shrug: Maybe stop banging every "repeat offender" as he put it???

We make a hell of a lot jokes about Cromartie and his kids, I'm not making TO immune because the only difference is we haven't seen him publicly not know the names of his kids....just that he has never even met one.

OR FOR US WITH SHORT ATTENTION SPANS

Not all athletes are as smart as Tom Freaking Brady and get a fist in the end by their agents

"To say I regret anything would be a slap to my grandmother's face," Owens says, referring to the woman who raised him.

Then what are you bitching about? If you don't regret ANYTHING, doesn't that include having 4 kids with 4 women and not being there to raise any of them? Losing your money? Losing all your friends? Trusting the wrong people?

If he doesn't regret anything, then why look for sympathy?

Amazing that EVERYTHING that has gone wrong in his life is someone else's fault. The women he knocked up, his agent, former friends and teammates. Nothing is his fault.

And, also, I would love to know what his definition of "broke" is. Chances are it isn't the same as anyone else here.

Totally agree. Not everyone has the smarts that I think I have (I THINK), especially when these people are young, vulnerable and simply dont know better.

A lot of athletes these days are given a free ticket based on their athletic abilities, in most areas of life (osir). Imagine than kind of a person attempting to manage relationships, money and themselves. Scary.

Totally agree. Not everyone has the smarts that I think I have (I THINK), especially when these people are young, vulnerable and simply dont know better.

A lot of athletes these days are given a free ticket based on their athletic abilities, in most areas of life (osir). Imagine than kind of a person attempting to manage relationships, money and themselves. Scary.

I agree too. There can be a tendency in here for people to like to pile on how much they hate a person or a situation - and there's often more complex things involved.

I hated T.O.'s self-centeredness as a player/public figure, and wouldn't have wanted him on my team because he was sure to become a cancer, but there was talk that he might have a diagnosable mental illness.

I'm willing to not be too judgemental because with an unstable background to start with, it may not be that hard to understand how he ended up on the path he did.

If this was A.Rod, however, then fvck him.

T.O. has always been one of those sports villains that I've enjoyed ridiculing and rooting against in fun but I've never had a true level of hatred or disdain for the guy. Sorry to hear this.

Thank God this news story was cited.

Yeah, because who cares if UT has to deal with the hassle of a cease and desist order, or worse, a fine, due to copyright infringement...

Not your problem right?
I miss how it used to be :sulk:

Buddies ribbing on each other no longer :(

I miss how it used to be :sulk:

Buddies ribbing on each other no longer :(

My apologies if that was meant as ribbing - I didn't take it as such.

Tone is often hard to decipher over a text only conversation.

I just find it to be a serious issue, it's wrong both legally and ethically and some have been rather cavalier toward the topic. We all need to take collective ownership over this thing which we have here.

Anyways, my bad. :toast:

My apologies if that was meant as ribbing - I didn't take it as such.

Tone is often hard to decipher over a text only conversation.

I just find it to be a serious issue, it's wrong both legally and ethically and some have been rather cavalier toward the topic. We all need to take collective ownership over this thing which we have here.

Anyways, my bad. :toast:
:)

I felt like HomelessJoe for a minute there!

The n00bs ruined this place:coffee: ;) ROFL

I can't say I don't feel any compassion for the guy. He's obviously a very unhappy person.
It's just that out of the 7 billion human beings living on our planet, TO is probably about 6,999,999,684th on the list of people I feel sorry for.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/1386/t-o-saga-a-reminder-that-wrs-are-a-different-sort

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

As the Terrell Owens saga takes another turn with his release by Dallas, I'm reminded of a fascinating psychological profile of wide receivers I stumbled across a few years ago.

The profile actually goes back way earlier than that, but it holds remarkably true. In 1973, Arnold J. Mandell worked as a team psychiatrist for the San Diego Chargers. Coach Harland Savard asked Mandell to come up with personality profiles for the different position groups.

Mandell took a unique approach. He collected handwriting samples from all the Chargers and the entire class of rookies around the league in 1973. He worked with a handwriting analyst and also observed players closely. Mandell came up with personality profiles for every position group and I can see some truths in every one of them.

But Mandell especially nailed it in his personality profile on wide receivers.

"The wide receiver is a very special human being," Mandell wrote. "He shares many features with actors and movie stars. He is narcissistic and vain and basically a loner."

Yeah, you never want to stereotype. But think about that a little bit. Every great wide receiver fits to some degree.

Owens, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Joe Horn, Keyshawn Johnson? They've all got it. Think even further back to guys like Michael Irvin, Otis Taylor, Mark Clayton and Mark Duper. They had it, too. You can argue about guys like Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice. But talk to people who've been around them and they'll tell you they've got a touch of the wide receiver traits, but they're just better at hiding them. It's also part of what makes them great.

"They love to be the center of attention," Mandell wrote. "They need to be noticed. They have an imperviousness in that they don't seem to mind criticism about being like that. All players want the respect of fellow players. Showing off usually is not an admired characteristic by most players, but by wide receivers it is very admired."

Heck, this profile also spills over to some tight ends. There must be something about catching passes. I remember covering tight endWesley Walls, who would sometimes get a little testy, even after a Carolina win, if he didn't feel he had enough passes thrown his way.

I wrote a lengthy story about Mandell's findings and the personalities of wide receivers back in 2006 when I was with The Charlotte Observer and it included Keyshawn Johnson basically agreeing that Mandell's profile was dead on. After extensive searching, I was unable to come up with a free link to that story, but I gave you the basics of it above....

Back