Teh official Taltos "circle rep thread" #2

Morning all-

Love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all cheers!

Enjoy the day!

~Dee~

Last edited:
Enjoy! :)

0de602015dd9b1e8e5253c67faf30b4c.jpg

Happy Friday. A well-deserved Friday. Hope you guys are good up there in Snowville. Down here in Floridaville. Things are perfect weatherwise. Looking forward to a nice weekend and I hope y’all have one too.

Freestyle Friday in Decorah :wuv:

From Raptor Resource Project:

An eaglet a day!

March 25, 2024: DN17 is roughly a day old: DN18 has recently emerged from its shell. The eaglets are covered with fluffy white natal down, can't resolve their vision very well, and struggle with coordination and strength. Patient DNF fills every hungry beak.

IMG_4317.jpeg

March 26, 2024: Could it get any cuter? 18 front, 17 back. Their white down is speckled with snow and they are already stronger and larger than yesterday. Their beaks are also getting larger. An eaglet's culmen (measured from the tip of its beak to where the feathering starts on its forehead) achieves maximum growth in the first 10 days. Since food is the root of all else besides - it's not surprising their beaks and gape grow so quickly in early nest life!

IMG_4278.jpeg

March 27, 2024: Sometimes you need more than one photo per day! #cuteoverload

IMG_4319.jpeg

March 27, 2024: DN18's eyes are still receding into their sockets. It turned two days old today!

IMG_4320.jpeg

March 28, 2024: Standing tall! DN17 is growing by leaps and bounds. Look closely and you'll see a tiny little crop: a baby cropzilla!

IMG_4321.jpeg

March 28, 2024: An eaglet's nestoration obsession starts young. We'll be posting more about the ways in which parental and sibling interactions fire up instinctive behaviors.

IMG_4322.jpeg

March 28, 2024: It was just one long adorable day!

IMG_4323.jpeg

March 29, 2024: A poopshoot picasso emerges! Seriously, I didn't realize that was PS around DN18's eye until I took a second look.

We've seen bonking this year, but DNF and Mr. North are keeping the eaglets stuffed with food and the cold is resulting in more cuddle puddles than bonking battles.

IMG_4324.jpeg

March 30, 2024: DN18's egg tooth is mostly gone, thermal tracts might be emerging - it can be hard to tell this early - and it is clearly well-fed and comfortable in the warm, soft nest.

IMG_4325.jpeg

March 31, 2024: Mom! It's fun to watch the eaglets become familiar with their world: recognizing familiar faces, voices, and behaviors, anticipating feedings, and sinking into soft feathers. They are getting stronger, more coordinated, and more adept at using their visual apparatus.

For all we've written about eagle eyes, it never occurred to me that a two fovea mono-binocular four-color system might be hard to learn! Eaglets likely hatch able to see, at least after the first few hours. But it takes time and experience to resolve input from their optic nerve to images that reflect the real world.

IMG_4326.jpeg

April 1, 2024: Cam Op: Look at those wings! I love this capture. That looks like a warble to me!

IMG_4328.jpeg

April 1, 2024: Emerging thermal down is very visible, and look at that beak! I don't see a food delivery recorded for April 1, but the pantree was stocked with fish, racoon, and maybe a little left over opossum.

RRP PSA: It's okay to turn away or watch between your fingers if you aren't okay with what the eagles are eating. We all need to eat, but it isn't always pleasant.

IMG_4329.jpeg

April 2, 2024: Look at that adorable little crop! When you grow as quickly as a bald eagle, it helps to have a snack pack/nutrition station at hand. Eagles can transfer food from their crops to their stomachs on an as-needed basis, as long as their crops are well-stuffed.

IMG_4330.jpeg

April 3, 2024: A cold and snowy feeding for the terrific two. DN17 is ten days old and DN18 is nine days old. You can see several second-week changes: larger beaks, longer wings, thermal down, increased strength and coordination. But they can't thermoregulate yet and still need brooding.

IMG_4331.jpeg

Back